ADVERTISEMENT

How do we not hit stadium capacity in that game?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Your jackass former AD that you dry hump to thinking about expanded a stadium twice when once was probably enough"
This ^^^^ is your response that I see as totally mis-directed; the foundation that Bill Olsen and Tom Jurich laid down for this University is worthy of our praise.

"The last thing I'm worried about is attendance. That environment the other night is the best we've had in this stadium in my opinion."

My understanding is the OP and this thread is about attendance; it was not about the environment. Having said this, on that point I agree with you 100% ...... this UL base made me and the UL community extremely proud, and it does not matter to me as to which administration is in place, as long as the fans and our community support Brohm and this football team.

"Your jackass former AD that you dry hump to thinking about expanded a stadium twice when once was probably enough"
This ^^^^ is your response that I see as totally mis-directed; the foundation that Bill Olsen and Tom Jurich laid down for this University is worthy of our praise.

"The last thing I'm worried about is attendance. That environment the other night is the best we've had in this stadium in my opinion."

My understanding is the OP and this thread is about attendance; it was not about the environment. Having said this, on that point I agree with you 100% ...... this UL base made me and the UL community extremely proud, and it does not matter to me as to which administration is in place, as long as the fans and our community support Brohm and this football team.

You left out his comments geared towards the current UL admin. But hey no worries....we all know who this OP is.

I watched the replay of the Ga. SUKs game. The announcers made a point of how many consecutive sellouts Ga. has had. Yet, when they scanned the stands do you know what they showed??? Yep, empty seats!!! Guess that damned Ga. athletics department is just a freaking Clown Show!! Clearly, Ga. football will never amount to anything!!
To be fair it was the over hyped kitty cats!

• Haha
Reactions: Mayoman
Regardless of whether the game sold out or not, as Ty Spaulding said in his eloquent article this weekend:

“As I was walking around the field after the game, I kept seeing parents and their kids, and I kept thinking to myself, this night is how the next generation of fans is born. A night like that is why you go through the hard times as a fan base, because the good times taste that much better.”

This is how you begin to expand the fan base yet again (to eventually fill that stadium with UofL fans), the way Howard did in 1988-90 and 92-93, the way JohnL did in 2000-2001, the way Petrino did in 2004-2006, and the way Strong did in 2012-2013.

And to his credit Coach Petrino almost was able to catch lightning in a bottle yet again after 2016, but the poor defensive coordinator hire in 2017 meant that he did not capitalize on the momentum of that historically great Heisman trophy winning season.

Last edited:
This is how you begin to expand the fan base yet again (to eventually fill that stadium with UofL fans), the way Howard did in 1998-90 and 92-93, the way JohnL did in 2000-2001, the way Petrino did in 2004-2006, and the way Strong did in 2012-2013.
There it is. Beat some teams you're not supposed to and the excitement builds. We were all hoping it would be in JBs first season...and so it is.
You have to win over not just the hard core fans,not just the fringe fans that show up occasionally,but the whole city...those that have been waiting for moments like Saturday night to return.

That's not what you said.....you said: "The former AD had no trouble filling arenas and stadiums". 92% is not filled. Let's be accurate with your previous statements. Don't change the goalposts....disappointed in you.
You're taking comments literally to deflect blame from the current regime. I never said we averaged a sellout or 100% of capacity.

And as always, I can provide data supporting my position for arguments just like yours that veer off subject (which was selling out the ND game)...

Fball-Attendance-v-Capacity.jpg

So far, we're averaging 50,883 this year which is 83.4% of capacity. When Notre Dame kicked off our 2019 home schedule under Satterfield, we averaged 51,001 through the first three games. The second and third home games of 2019 were EKU and Boston College.

Brohm's got us rolling to a 6-0 start. The product we're selling doesn't get much better than this...

Zipp-you are over simplifying. Jurich always envisioned the program being bigger than it was that was his genius. The stadium size it too big for this fanbase except for a couple of games a year.

To fill this stadium multiple factors are in play. The coach has to be really good. The team has to be good-great. The opponent has to be legit. The opponents fan base has to travel. The athletic department has to sell the excitement. The ACC teams don’t travel for the most part. The AD can only control who runs the program and the marketing. He can’t control the quality of the program and if their fanbase travels.

I am sure you went to the game you that environment was electric and the game was even better.
I understand all of that. Notre Dame is the pick of the litter from a quality-of-opponent viewpoint. All conditions were right Saturday night to sell out that stadium.

Again, I never said we always sold out prior to 2018. That's a false counterargument. What we USED TO DO was build ever larger and better facilities AND add to the fanbase numerically. The guys we have in charge now can't do that, which was another miscalculation we made when we cleaned house...

,,,I do not believe it is incumbent upon any AD to assume responsibility for who shows up for an event. I do expect the Administration to provide the opportunity, and to accommodate as many as decide to purchase tickets and attend.

…. no one should blame the ADMINISTRATION for those who did not attend the game...
The last thing I'm worried about is attendance. That environment the other night is the best we've had in this stadium in my opinion.

The OP is the one who can't get over new leadership and is "worried about attendance". His crap is old and everyone here is done putting up with it.
So I'll say it again... The AD is responsible for MONEY. There are two ways to generate that in college athletics: operations and donations. The first revenue source is driven primarily by fan support/attendance in the two revenue sports.

If we can't sell out the Notre Dame game under pretty much ideal conditions, we have a hard time selling football tickets. I don't have a problem saying that, and I don't have a problem assigning responsibility. It doesn't matter to me if people don't like hearing it...

Last edited:
I had to learn this myself but Zipp doesn't believe the crap he spews, he lives on starting arguments. He loves to debate. I see him in front of his computer at night with his pants down with one hand on his junk and the other on the keyboard... Probably will be banned for life for this but it is what it is. Only a miserable person who claims to be a "fan" enjoys the banter of arguing.
I never say anything for S&Gs or disingenuously. HOW I say it may occasionally be for entertainment purposes, but the substance is never fabricated...

Regardless of whether the game sold out or not, as Ty Spaulding said in his eloquent article this weekend:

“As I was walking around the field after the game, I kept seeing parents and their kids, and I kept thinking to myself, this night is how the next generation of fans is born. A night like that is why you go through the hard times as a fan base, because the good times taste that much better.”

This is how you begin to expand the fan base yet again (to eventually fill that stadium with UofL fans), the way Howard did in 1998-90 and 92-93, the way JohnL did in 2000-2001, the way Petrino did in 2004-2006, and the way Strong did in 2012-2013.

And to his credit Coach Petrino almost was able to catch lightning in a bottle yet again after 2016, but the poor defensive coordinator hire in 2017 meant that he did not capitalize on the momentum of that historically great Heisman trophy winning season.
I didn't read @Ty Spalding 's postgame comments in detail. Being there myself, I agree there was a lot about U of L football to feel good about Saturday nite. It was a unique day and one for the ages. I never said otherwise.

I also don't recall hearing about a generational process to rebuild fan support in late 2017 when we cleaned house in athletics. (No debate that it's probably what we have ended up with in 2023...) I recall Tyra's "this job is not about one man" comment. I recall $50+ million that used to be in the ULAA bank account. I recall a 2013 YOTC display in the old B&W Club that I used to look at proudly. But I don't recall gazing at kids at a ballgame thinking someday they'll grow up to replace the fans we've lost AND feeling good about that.

We can make a lot of excuses for things in 2023, but that doesn't affect--nor should it--anyone's memory of the way things used to be. And I'm not gonna stop pointing that out--because it does nothing to diminish, for example, my enjoyment of this football season so far...

Last edited:
59,081 vs Notre Dame under just about ideal conditions. (St. James Art Fair apologists please step up to the mic...)

And sitting across the stadium, you could see where the unsold two thousand seats were--the upper reaches of the horseshoe and Flight Deck.

I hope the law firm that--based on its many in-game promotions--was apparently promised a sellout, doesn't turn around and try to sue us for misrepresentation. U of L was hyping this game as "sold out" even while still trying to unload tickets. LINK

But I ask myself how does this happen, that even THIS administration can't sell out the 69th largest stadium in the nation (LINK) for the most attractive opponent on its schedule...ever.

And then I gaze again at an empty wall in the renovated Angel's Envy Club, a place where for almost a decade we commemorated the "Year of the Cardinal." I'm reminded of the fact that the same people responsible for selling football tickets still don't get it. Even a casual internet search of those four words in sequence returns hit after hit of a unique confluence of U of L athletics events that this regime would prefer not to memorialize. A club renovation gave them just the right opportunity for that.

For those who prefer waiting for that still-elusive stadium sellout, let us know when we can expect Year of the Cardinal 2.0...

I wish I wasn’t tagged in this because I would’ve never seen it. I’m giving you a warning though. Seriously. No more coming on here presenting information as facts when in reality, you are incorrect. The number UofL announced was tickets SCANNED. They can’t hold CSC’s hand as people walk in to make sure they scan every ticket. I can tell you UofL didn’t have a single ticket left to sell. The tickets available were all on the secondary market. Not through UofL. You saw a couple thousand empty seats in the flight deck? You conveniently left out that the party deck had a couple thousand people standing up there. Do better.

I wish I wasn’t tagged in this because I would’ve never seen it. I’m giving you a warning though. Seriously. No more coming on here presenting information as facts when in reality, you are incorrect. The number UofL announced was tickets SCANNED. They can’t hold CSC’s hand as people walk in to make sure they scan every ticket. I can tell you UofL didn’t have a single ticket left to sell. The tickets available were all on the secondary market. Not through UofL. You saw a couple thousand empty seats in the flight deck? You conveniently left out that the party deck had a couple thousand people standing up there. Do better.
Thank you for clearing this up! Most games my tickets dont get scanned because the handheld doesn’t pick up the barcode well on my phone.

Thank you for clearing this up! Most games my tickets dont get scanned because the handheld doesn’t pick up the barcode well on my phone.
I can confirm one of my two tickets did not get scanned. We arrived close to kickoff due to parking issues. There was a crush of fans trying to get through the ticket scanners with one pedestal scanner for two lines of fans. I saw multiple people being told to “just go on in” when the scanner was having trouble reading tickets off cellphones. No way to know how many of the same unscanned tickets occurred around the stadium, but I do know it did occur several times in front of me.

Thanks Ty! Maybe this will quiet the clown show previously known as Zipp.

Reactions: Art79
Anyone with a brain will trust Ty’s info over Zipp, but I’m sure he’ll be back with meaningless graphs and more “facts”.

• Haha
I said this exact same thing in an earlier post… Announced attendance is tickets scanned! Sad thing is… Zip knows this and he knows that he is out right lying to try and make a point. Sad sad unhappy man he is.

You left out his comments geared towards the current UL admin. But hey no worries....we all know who this OP is.
My omission of another poster, was because his comments were of no interest to me …..it was your post that did.

You're taking comments literally to deflect blame from the current regime. I never said we averaged a sellout or 100% of capacity.

And as always, I can provide data supporting my position for arguments just like yours that veer off subject (which was selling out the ND game)...

Fball-Attendance-v-Capacity.jpg

So far, we're averaging 50,883 this year which is 83.4% of capacity. When Notre Dame kicked off our 2019 home schedule under Satterfield, we averaged 51,001 through the first three games. The second and third home games of 2019 were EKU and Boston College.

Brohm's got us rolling to a 6-0 start. The product we're selling doesn't get much better than this...
Provide the data for the average Senior day game attendance during this time frame. Thanks

Leaving out the drama, the accusations and the needless personal attacks ……. I believe Ty’s definition of “sellout” is now a matter of fact. Saturday night’s game at L&N was a sellout, as the University confirms that it sold all the tickets out days prior to kickoff.

I understand all of that. Notre Dame is the pick of the litter from a quality-of-opponent viewpoint. All conditions were right Saturday night to sell out that stadium.

Again, I never said we always sold out prior to 2018. That's a false counterargument. What we USED TO DO was build ever larger and better facilities AND add to the fanbase numerically. The guys we have in charge now can't do that, which was another miscalculation we made when we cleaned house...
I agree believe it or not but you are comparing apples and oranges. Jurich had a vision to sell……the ACC or Big 12. He accomplished that goal. Now what? It is a different challenge and landscape.

The facilities are in place. The non revenue sports need to addressed but that can’t be done until Football and Basketball are back. The new fundraising model is for NIL not facilities. Still early to grade how they are doing. Basketball and football landed serious players in the 1st year of NIL.

Time to focus on players, coaches and actual game results instead of worry about if a sell out was really a sell out. Bottom line that was a legit college football environment everyone involved deserves credit.

Anyone with a brain will trust Ty’s info over Zipp, but I’m sure he’ll be back with meaningless graphs and more “facts”.
Sure he will because you gave him another invitation. I wonder what would happen if nobody ever responded to his negative posts. I'm sure some of his buddies would try to keep a discussion going but I like the advice given by another poster, don't feed the troll...

Reactions: Steelers2012
I agree believe it or not but you are comparing apples and oranges. Jurich had a vision to sell……the ACC or Big 12. He accomplished that goal. Now what? It is a different challenge and landscape.

The facilities are in place. The non revenue sports need to addressed but that can’t be done until Football and Basketball are back. The new fundraising model is for NIL not facilities. Still early to grade how they are doing. Basketball and football landed serious players in the 1st year of NIL.

Time to focus on players, coaches and actual game results instead of worry about if a sell out was really a sell out. Bottom line that was a legit college football environment everyone involved deserves credit.
If the goal is to advance an agenda, only what advances said agenda makes its way into an argument. Nothing else matters.

Easy on allegations of deceit if that's what you're doing. Anyone can make an honest mistake or a bad assumption. With the possible exception of @Guardman, no one drags more raw data and linked references into this space than I do. And as I enjoy saying, when data are as bad as ours have been, nobody needs to make up anything.

I'll get to ticket scans shortly which are not what U of L reports. They may report attendance BASED ON ticket scans, but not the actual numbers. They've publicly acknowledged that. LINK

Because of all the pushback on the notion that everything wasn't perfect on Saturday, I'm getting more precise with my statements from this point forward. And I'm changing the name of this thread as a result.

What U of L failed to do on Saturday as far as attendance was hit the stadium capacity with their announced number. Without counting physical seats, that's as close as we can determine to be fact. We may debate what the true capacity is, but it's typically reported as 61,000. There are isolated references to it being 60,800.

And this is two times (in two) that U of L has failed to do that for what will probably be the all time marquee opponent--Notre Dame--on any home schedule. To understand why that's significant, we can look at the list of recent "sellouts" at the stadium...

Fball-Attendance-v-Capacity-02.jpg

The linked article above from late 2018 clearly states that U of L includes unticketed attendees like stadium staff and media. So a number higher than stated capacity was never any kind of anomaly. The only game on the list above that didn't exceed capacity was lightly attended by slapd!cks thinking that Lamar & Co was going to steamroll their a$$es.

It's not an issue of unscanned tickets. The second game on the above list--Clemson in 2017--showed ticket scans of 46,224 which was 9,364 below announced attendance. For the home schedules in 2016 and 2017, one in four (24.5%) of the fans counted as in attendance did not have their tickets scanned. Also note that this analysis in late 2018 was more than a year after the new regime took over. The data it contains are as credible of a one-off analysis as we could obtain for what's going on now.

I also stated in the OP my own observation from the AE Club in which I had a bird's eye view of the east stadium seating. The toughest and probably last seats to sell are in the upper reaches of the UPS Flight Deck. Those are exactly the seats that were sparsely occupied. A couple thousand short of capacity is 10-20% of the UPS seating. Does it make sense that only people who bought tickets from U of L the last few weeks decided not to attend or never made it to their seats?

One thing that should be abundantly clear with me is I don't believe a word of what U of L administrators say. Why would I considering all of the distortions and unfulfilled promises there have been in recent years. That's in stark contrast to my support of guys like Jeff Brohm who were born and raised here, who worked hard to make this place better, and/or who are succeeding DESPITE the circumstances they're working under. I'm just damn glad that really good coaches like Brohm, Walz, and McDonnell don't care about the stuff going on around them.

Unfortunately--and for the sake of concerned fans and the other 20 head coaches on staff--I still do...

Last edited:
Easy on allegations of deceit if that's what you're doing. Anyone can make an honest mistake or a bad assumption. With the possible exception of @Guardman, no one drags more raw data and linked references into this space than I do. And as I enjoy saying, when data are as bad as ours have been, nobody needs to make up anything.

I'll get to ticket scans shortly which are not what U of L reports. They may report attendance BASED ON ticket scans, but not the actual numbers. They've publicly acknowledged that. LINK

Because of all the pushback on the notion that everything wasn't perfect on Saturday, I'm getting more precise with my statements from this point forward. And I'm changing the name of this thread as a result.

What U of L failed to do on Saturday as far as attendance was hit the stadium capacity with their announced number. Without counting physical seats, that's as close as we can determine to be fact. We may debate what the true capacity is, but it's typically reported as 61,000. There are isolated references to it being 60,800.

And this is two times (in two) that U of L has failed to do that for what will probably be the all time marquee opponent--Notre Dame--on any home schedule. To understand why that's significant, we can look at the list of recent "sellouts" at the stadium...

Fball-Attendance-v-Capacity-02.jpg

The linked article above from late 2018 clearly states that U of L includes unticketed attendees like stadium staff and media. So a number higher than stated capacity was never any kind of anomaly. The only game on the list above that didn't exceed capacity was lightly attended by slapd!cks thinking that Lamar & Co was going to steamroll their a$$es.

It's not an issue of unscanned tickets. The second game on the above list--Clemson in 2017--showed ticket scans of 46,224 which was 9,364 below announced attendance. For the home schedules in 2016 and 2017, one in four (24.5%) of the fans counted as in attendance did not have their tickets scanned. Also note that this analysis in late 2018 was more than a year after the new regime took over. The data it contains are as credible of a one-off analysis as we could obtain for what's going on now.

I also stated in the OP my own observation from the AE Club in which I had a bird's eye view of the east stadium seating. The toughest and probably last seats to sell are in the upper reaches of the UPS Flight Deck. Those are exactly the seats that were sparsely occupied. A couple thousand short of capacity is 10-20% of the UPS seating. Does it make sense that only people who bought tickets from U of L the last few weeks decided not to attend or never made it to their seats?

One thing that should be abundantly clear with me is I don't believe a word of what U of L administrators say. Why would I considering all of the distortions and unfulfilled promises there have been in recent years. That's in stark contrast to my support of guys like Jeff Brohm who were born and raised here, who worked hard to make this place better, and/or who are succeeding DESPITE the circumstances they're working under. I'm just damn glad that really good coaches like Brohm, Walz, and McDonnell don't care about the stuff going on around them.

Unfortunately--and for the sake of concerned fans and the other 20 head coaches on staff--I still do...
We won the game, right?
By the way, please check attendance figures throughout college football and the NFL. Complete sellouts (100% attendance, which is what you are complaining about) are rare. Are you going to say that a marketing machine like the NFL is incompetent as well?

We won the game, right?
By the way, please check attendance figures throughout college football and the NFL. Complete sellouts (100% attendance, which is what you are complaining about) are rare. Are you going to say that a marketing machine like the NFL is incompetent as well?
I’m saying we can’t do what we used to routinely do…

The OP is full of facts. That guy chose to make it personal, like you and so many others lacking facts.

Any idea where they relocated our YOTC display? I’m guessing the dumpster fire got it.

Also heard from someone who would know that the in-game NIL promotion was 99% prearranged. Which jives with the number of people I saw not scanning the QR code.

These guys excel at everything…
I can tell you that what you said is a 100% lie. Someone needs to ban you. You spread bull shit and purpose provoke others. You're a piece of shit who needs to get relieved of your posting permission.

I’m saying we can’t do what we used to routinely do…
You must be kidding. UofL has NEVER routinely sold out football games to capacity. Vanishing attendance got Kragthorpe fired, and Charlie was constantly complaining about attendance. It’s been a topic on these boards since I’ve been on (about 15 years).

I had to learn this myself but Zipp doesn't believe the crap he spews, he lives on starting arguments. He loves to debate. I see him in front of his computer at night with his pants down with one hand on his junk and the other on the keyboard... Probably will be banned for life for this but it is what it is. Only a miserable person who claims to be a "fan" enjoys the banter of arguing.

👍 👍✌️

You must be kidding. UofL has NEVER routinely sold out football games to capacity. Vanishing attendance got Kragthorpe fired, and Charlie was constantly complaining about attendance. It’s been a topic on these boards since I’ve been on (about 15 years).
You'll have to define "routinely." But it sounds like you're denying the list of all time high attendance football games. You see the capacity and reported attendance values for each game, right?

This is the central problem... When you stop hitting the bar, it gets lowered. Per your comment, now supposedly we never did what the data said we did. And I submit the reason is because we can't do it anymore. Explain your comment(s) otherwise...

I can tell you that what you said is a 100% lie. Someone needs to ban you. You spread bull shit and purpose provoke others. You're a piece of shit who needs to get relieved of your posting permission.
Don't click on my posts. Esp. the threads I start. Simple solution for everyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT