ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t get tricked. Be smart.

If Payne doesn't produce a ton more wins this season he should be fired no question.

That doesn't stop the UofL fan in me from wanting them to win a very close game against a ranked opponent. I want them to win every game and hope they build on this.

However one game or even a few close games won't change my mind about wanting Payne fired. He has to prove a lot more than that by actually winning games.

Today’s game was an anomaly. I know we are all starved and desperate for good basketball. Stay the course. Fire Payne.
Some of you guys are gonna have to come to grips with the possibility that these guys under Payne come somewhere close to reproducing that result multiple times this season. Compounded in no small way by the major financial issues we have, that gets the guy Year Three.

You better start rooting like hell against him and this team…

The whole issue this year is the looked exactly like last year until yesterday. The problem is defensively they just struggle. Let’s see what they do against IU. Same kind of effort and a win that is improvement. If they go back the same issues of last year the Texas game means nothing.

Like it or not Louisville needs KP to work out. I don’t think it will but like Zipp has said financially they really need this to work.

The guys did not struggle defensively against Texas. I was amazed how they switched and seemed to anticipate the offense which is what makes a good defense. Now there's still a few holes, especially with Evans who is too slow and indecisive, but what I saw yesterday looked like they understood the concept.

The team was dialed in and totally focused. They made 27 of 31 free throws. No one looked nervous or insecure, on the contrary they were confident and that's why they played well.

I can't see them going back to the keystone cops basketball. They may at times be a bit too confident with shot selection, but when they see the tape of this game, they will know that they can be a good basketball team.

Even if their coach is still maligned.

In other words,I should lay that 8 today and unbuckle on the Hoosiers? 😉

If yesterday is the best this team can play, there's no reason to expect them to perform like that every night. All we saw against Texas is what this team CAN do.

The question is can a range of lesser performances beat a greater number of teams on this year's schedule. I suspect that it does, but the next question is how many. Payne's job rides on that one.

As I said, the "fire him" crowd needs to cheer like hell against Payne and the team. Which amuses the hell outta me...

Reactions: earsky
If yesterday is the best this team can play, there's no reason to expect them to perform like that every night. All we saw against Texas is what this team CAN do.

The question is can a range of lesser performances beat a greater number of teams on this year's schedule. I suspect that it does, but the next question is how many. Payne's job rides on that one.

As I said, the "fire him" crowd needs to cheer like hell against Payne and the team. Which amuses the hell outta me...
Seems like most if not all negative situations at UofL “amuse the hell out of (you)”.

I’m neither shocked nor surprised by the admission.

Seems like most if not all negative situations at UofL “amuse the hell out of (you)”.

I’m neither shocked nor surprised by the admission.
How predictably odd it is for you to look at whether fans cheer for their own basketball team as a “negative situation”…

How predictably odd it is for you to look at whether fans cheer for their own basketball team as a “negative situation”…
Well Kevin, let me speak for the rest of the civilized world when I say, a coach whose record sits at 6-31 (how in the world did they win six?) at a historically top 10 basketball program like UofL - is a negative situation.

As evidenced by your stated amusement.

Reactions: rh62531
Well Kevin, let me speak for the rest of the civilized world when I say, a coach whose record sits at 6-31 (how in the world did they win six?) at a historically top 10 basketball program like UofL - is a negative situation.

As evidenced by your stated amusement.
It’s a really negative situation for some FANS. I’m sure Heird and the administration look at the last couple games as progress, in no way negative.

You think “fans” immersed in self induced conflict deserve some sort of empathy. I think they’re funny and deserving of very little but laughter.

Esp. if they support this administration. If you’re a fan of the people in charge, here are their results. You got a problem with Payne, take it up with them.

GO CARDS!!!

It’s a really negative situation for some FANS. I’m sure Heird and the administration look at the last couple games as progress, in no way negative.

You think “fans” immersed in self induced conflict deserve some sort of empathy. I think they’re funny and deserving of very little but laughter.

Esp. if they support this administration. If you’re a fan of the people in charge, here are their results. You got a problem with Payne, take it up with them.

GO CARDS!!!
1. It’s a negative situation for any fan that has previously enjoyed watching UofL be coached by high level individuals to compete and win basketball games & championships.

2. You have zero idea what Heird thinks about any of it.

3. I don’t think people deserve empathy for having an opinion one way or the other. Though if I were to chose between empathy and derision - I’d select the former. Clearly, you select the derision.

I think the AD is very concerned with wins and losses. I do think they completely sent the wrong message out of the gate by being OK with losing that 1st year. It made this year almost impossible for everyone. You can’t just forget 4-28 happened. Then to come out this year slowly only compounded the issue. Booster’s aren’t happy the AD is fully aware of that. Hell the service businesses downtown can’t be happy either.

This weekend was encouraging but they lost. When you come out of the gate 4-28 more losses isn’t the answer and yes negativity is last thing any AD wants.

Reactions: rh62531
This AD's in a box. Anyone who thinks he's in it moving and shaking and setting up a deal to escape is dreaming.

Heird is HOPING he sees more of what he's seen the last couple games, and that it translates into enough wins to avoid trying to buy out Payne. Obviously, he has no money to work with.

You can cheer--as many do--for our opponents so that we rack up losses. That still doesn't fix the money issue. If losing games is your plan, make sure you cover all the bases with that plan.

A more viable plan is to look for signs of progress...

Reactions: swurv99
Some of you guys are gonna have to come to grips with the possibility that these guys under Payne come somewhere close to reproducing that result multiple times this season. Compounded in no small way by the major financial issues we have, that gets the guy Year Three.

You better start rooting like hell against him and this team…

Sadly, from everything I’ve seen so far, the only thing that those close games will mean is that we will get many more stupid coaching displays like “he tricked me” or that ridiculous final offensive possession against Texas. He’s now 0-5 in one point games because he’s a head coach in training who should have never been hired for a job like Louisville..

Will NEVER root against any UofL team or its head coach, but in February when he’s lost his 16th game, I will be saying it’s time to end this failed experiment.

Last edited:
The loses-close-games argument is not persuasive. Of course, Payne loses a disproportionate number of close games. Crunch time is when coaching matters most. What we’re seeing is not surprising.

A logical step to changing that is getting yourself into more close games. If these players and coaches can do that, maybe they get better at winning a few of them. It’s what I’m hoping for…

Reactions: UofLouisville
The loses-close-games argument is not persuasive. Of course, Payne loses a disproportionate number of close games. Crunch time is when coaching matters most. What we’re seeing is not surprising.

A logical step to changing that is getting yourself into more close games. If these players and coaches can do that, maybe they get better at winning a few of them. It’s what I’m hoping for…

Agree with your hopes, but they had better start to be competitive in many more and winning more than just a few, or they are going to be out of jobs here in three months, maybe less.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
It is clear the plan was 3-5 years which I was good with until you took year one to figure this shit is hard. I kind of like this roster but it is deficient on the defensive side of the ball. Unless they all improve winning is going to be really hard.

I said it in another post they lost the Indiana game because they couldn’t get a stop. Indiana screened until they got a matchup they wanted and Louisville couldn’t defend it. On offense they missed shots and turned it over which is going to happen. Against Texas they executed offensively until the last possession. The problem was as they executed offensively they never got multiple stops to extend the lead.

Defense is their problem and not sure it is fixable. It seems to be a combination of effort and skill on that side. White is awful Indiana isolated him all game long. Louisville made their run with him in the bench.

GO CARDS!!!
You’re sure? How? Do you know Heird or speak to him? Again, almost everyone responsible for firing St. Thomas is gone.

This is a really interesting situation. The thing that stands out this is KP program. Heird and crew have stay out of the day to day running of the program. KP has total control his media appearances. KP has total control of his staff. This is 100 percent KP program. There will be no I didn’t have enough resources or support.

Heird isn’t stupid. He has to let the season play out. I would say he is realistic about what is going on. You can watch this mess and see this isn’t working. It is on KP to fix if he doesn’t and he won’t they will settle on a lower buyout at the end of the year. At this point they will not win 10 games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT