ADVERTISEMENT

Directors Cup

:rolleyes:

UK's ahead of us in something...it must be 'irrelevant'.

Seriously, do you understand the argument here? UK regularly finishes in the top "whatever" of the Director's Cup. The main reason for that, if not the sole reason is because they field a very competitive RIFLE team. I'd be embarrassed to admit that.

Director's Cup weighs all university sports in determining their standings. UK has finished in the Top 25 in these standings for the past 4 years straight.

Reactions: blubo
Director's Cup weighs all university sports in determining their standings. UK has finished in the Top 25 in these standings for the past 4 years straight.
And where do they finish without the 64 points from rifle? Maybe UofL could field a tiddly-winks team and overtake UK in the all-important Director's Cup (that Stanford has won 20-something years running). It would have about the same merit.

....it's funny that the Director's Cup was once the 'trump card' here by some in one or two of those 4 years in the last 22 where uofl finished ahead of UK in the standings.

....it's funny that the Director's Cup was once the 'trump card' here by some in one or two of those 4 years in the last 22 where uofl finished ahead of UK in the standings.
Rifle team, dude. Rifle team. That doesn't even rise to the level of pathetic.

I think recruiting oughta be included as a sport in and of itself.

More banner opportunities too.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Zipp, you know as well as I do that the performance of the programs have nothing to do with Title IX compliance. You are compliant as long as the programs exist. It doesn't matter if they are world beaters or they suck. If we are truly discussing the overall performance of an athletic department then why shouldn't riflery count the same as football? No one is saying that riflery brings in the same money as football, but why should their success not count the same as football? They are a part of the athletic program just like football. Those students compete in the classroom and on the field. Actually to not count them the same as football, to me, that is being Title IX noncompliant since the purpose of that is for equal opportunities and treatment for the sports other than the big 5.

Zipp, you know as well as I do that the performance of the programs have nothing to do with Title IX compliance. You are compliant as long as the programs exist. It doesn't matter if they are world beaters or they suck...
Let's not overlay the LPT philosophy of athletics management on U of L. It's why LPT can do little more than basketball.

...If we are truly discussing the overall performance of an athletic department then why shouldn't riflery count the same as football?...
Because that's not the real world with real people. Find me a reasonable number of surveys that support what you're saying.

... Actually to not count them the same as football, to me, that is being Title IX noncompliant since the purpose of that is for equal opportunities and treatment for the sports other than the big 5.
They all do count the same as far as internal considerations like Title IX compliance, expense reimbursement, etc. But that's not the same as answering the question "who's the best in college sports?" The logical consideration is "based on what?" And if you start any discussion with or include riflery in it, you're floating away. It's ridiculous and self evident.

That's where you are wrong. They are part of the athletic program and their results impact the success of an athletic program overall. If they didn't, schools would just have the big 5 sports. The smaller sports performance on the field impacts the success of an athletic program.

If UK can do little other than basketball, why have we beat you 18 of 22 years is the directors cup? Oh yeah, riflery is the reason. Say what you want about "LPT" but we have pretty much owned Louisville on the field in every sport with the exception of football in the last few years. Oh yeah, that's our Super Bowl, according to you.

Like it or not, UK and UL both have successful programs which are good for both schools. Instead of trying to denigrate what UK has accomplished, wouldn't you be happier to just celebrate what UL has accomplished. Are you that much happier when UK fails or are you happier when UL succeeds? At this point, I honestly have no idea.

I'm happiest supporting U of L AND bashing LPT. My sword has two edges.

LPT athletics are far behind U of L in just about every relevant measure except how much money each school is spending. LPT has always overspent for what it gets.

I don't mind being owned on irrelevant measures. Kinda like caring (or not) what people think about me who I don't care about. Irrelevant stuff doesn't matter.

"we have pretty much owned Louisville on the field in every sport with the exception of football in the last few years. Oh yeah, that's our Super Bowl, according to you."

...until UK starts winning against uofl on the football field again and then, magically, the game between the 2 schools will become "less important".

"we have pretty much owned Louisville on the field in every sport with the exception of football in the last few years. Oh yeah, that's our Super Bowl, according to you."

...until UK starts winning against uofl on the football field again and then, magically, the game between the 2 schools will become "less important".

Can you quantify (show the records) of that "ownage" of Louisville in every sport with the exception of football the last few years please? I will concede basketball and we don't have a rifle team. Please be consistent in the time frame you use with the records you provide (use the same time frame for all of the "ownage". TIA.

...and then there's 4 straight wins by the UK women in basketball.

So, 4 years is going to be your period of ownage in all sports? That's fine. Continue. Please provide actual 4 year records for the sports you are claiming ownage in.

The UK womens' teams last year:

Basketball — Kentucky won 77-68 on Dec. 7.

Soccer — Kentucky won 2-0 on Sept. 5.

Softball — Kentucky won 4-0 on April 1; Louisville won 8-0 on April 21.

Volleyball — Kentucky won 3-1 (25-20, 15-25, 25-21, 25-19) on Sept. 9.

So basically....it's football and baseball where uofl fans can claim 'recent superiority'... that's it.

The UK womens' teams last year:

Basketball — Kentucky won 77-68 on Dec. 7.

Soccer — Kentucky won 2-0 on Sept. 5.

Softball — Kentucky won 4-0 on April 1; Louisville won 8-0 on April 21.

Volleyball — Kentucky won 3-1 (25-20, 15-25, 25-21, 25-19) on Sept. 9.

Are you going with ONE year now? I would prefer a specific time period (you claim ownage over the last few years). I have to have specific (and consistent) time periods and records to address the claim. Pick a single time period for ALL the sports you claim ownage in, and provide the head-to-head records for those sports, over THAT single time period. And...GO!

Last edited:
....not too many articles I'm seeing that document all of the results in womens' sports the past 'few years'. Mens Basketball is an obvious win in comparison for UK as Football is an obvious win in comparison for uofl. The article I linked examines the baseball argument a bit deeper.

It doesn't matter what the head-to-head records are anyway. Most of those are meaningless out-of-conference games played in December every year. The argument is not whether the school goes 1-0 or 0-1 for the season.

It's the CBS analysis... Who has the best athletic program, and how you judge that? That's an easy question.

When did I ever say the Directors Cup mattered?

It's not always about you, Zipp. Those days of the 'smackboard' bring back quite a few memories.... one of them happens to be posters that claimed 'victory' out of Director's Cup Standings.

Find it, and I'll defend what I said.

If it's not always about me, why are you trying to discuss my financial situation on your LPT site? Who can't get over whom?

....you were a good comparison for a guy that was there trying to flex his 'financial muscle' over there..... and it's obvious you're doing some following yourself.

....you were a good comparison for a guy that was there trying to flex his 'financial muscle' over there..... and it's obvious you're doing some following yourself.
Well, maybe that's obvious to you in your insignificant courier job. I'd probably be frustrated too. It's always hilarious watching LPT lightweights obsess over little old me.

If you care to have a constructive discussion on the topic, let's go over to the OT forum and we can spend all day comparing our assets. That way you don't have to fixate on 'zipp' in other places and in other contexts.

....another failed guess at what I do. You seriously couldn't be more off the mark. I'm not the kind of guy that would ever want to openly discuss my 'assets' in a public forum. You've done so for years and that's your choice. I'd rather keep my business mine.

....and again....you followed me over on Rafters, which makes you a bit obsessive yourself.

Said the guy who carries his assets in his hip pocket.

I can assure you I didn't google "JC for 3".

The less that message board people know about me, the better. ....and you don't know anything more about me than I want you to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT