ADVERTISEMENT

Directors Cup

lkc1234

Getting the Hang of It
Apr 12, 2007
UK finished higher in the Directors Cup rankings than UL. Proof that Kentucky has an overall better sports program than the Cards. Kentucky finished number 22 and Louisville number 29 in the final 2015 rankings. Many people on here keeps saying UK is only a basketball school. This is definite proof that is a false statement. Mitch Barnhart has done a fantastic job of improving the overall athletic programs and facilities at UK. Jurich has done the same thing at Louisville. Both programs have made fantastic improvements in the last few years.

UK finished higher in the Directors Cup rankings than UL. Proof that Kentucky has an overall better sports program than the Cards. Kentucky finished number 22 and Louisville number 29 in the final 2015 rankings. Many people on here keeps saying UK is only a basketball school. This is definite proof that is a false statement. Mitch Barnhart has done a fantastic job of improving the overall athletic programs and facilities at UK. Jurich has done the same thing at Louisville. Both programs have made fantastic improvements in the last few years.

UK's ranking actually fell pretty significantly from the previous year, so congrats on that.. And, you're right. UK isn't just a basketball school. It's a rifle school, too. Way to go. Meanwhile, at CBS...

Actually, the fact is that 30 of your 32.5 points in the Director's cup came from Basketball. I couldn't find the source of your other 2.5 points. Nonetheless, I think it makes your claim look rather thin. Louisville, on the other hand, got points for more than 2 sports.

And, if you trust this ranking as the final say, then you must agree that the University of Denver has a better sports program than Louisville, UK, Duke and many others. They came in at number 5.

Denver be all like "whoK?"

Like a boss Denver! horseback riding and calf roping trumps rifle team all day err day!

Any uk fool who tries claiming that uk is better in all sports based on the Director's Cup is just pathetic. That's like saying you won a track race because only the runners with blue shoes on get a ribbon regardless of where they come in. Congrats on coming in last but getting recognized because you have pretty shoes.

Reactions: beasleythecard

The only thing your post "proves" is that one sources' specific measurement criteria ranks UK ahead of UofL. Another sources' (CBS Sports) criteria ranks UofL ahead of UK. Neither "prove" either is a better overall sports program relative to the other. Having said that, I have no problem acknowledging both sources indicate UK is not simply a basketball school, but a well rounded sports program worthy of being ranked as such.

I can't factually argue that one polling system is better than another. However, I can argue that the CBS system is more relevant. By definition, that means it matters more or is more pertinent. And that is supported factually by the selection process of the sports that CBS uses and their relative weightings.

What "matters" is exactly what CBS incorporates. And you could easily argue that makes it a better ranking system. I also don't think it's a coincidence that programs under Tom Jurich excel in those sports. Otherwise, U of L would be fielding a rifle team.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Louisville is just better in the sports that people actually watch and care about ...that's really the fact. Congrats on the rifle squad though. Based on the Director's Cup isn't Denver in the top 5? Sorry bro don't buy Denver has a better sports program than UL.

BTW, any system that consistently ranks Stanford at the top of an all-sports competition almost by definition is invalidated. Or at a minimum, it's irrelevant...

lol..UL has way surpassed UK in total sports. Match the sports over last 10 years and not even close and that includes facilities, but congrats on your rifle team

What more facts do you need? UK finished higher in the Directors Cup. Is the ranking just personally biased against UL?

Reactions: blubo
What more facts do you need? UK finished higher in the Directors Cup. Is the ranking just personally biased against UL?[

This is the exact type of uofk fan that John Ramsey was talking about on The Ville .The subject was "People who should register on the U of K Dating Website"
For instance...If you use foodstamps to fund your 1st date,you should register.
If your best pick up line is Pull my finger,you should register.
If you think the Directors Cup is the best measurement for overall college sports,you should register.

What more facts do you need? UK finished higher in the Directors Cup. Is the ranking just personally biased against UL?

And the CBS Sports rankings are also fact. Again, both use measureable criteria (facts) that draw different conclusions. One favors UK; one favors UofL. You can't say one is more valid than the other. Each one gives both programs reasons to be proud. Why can't we just leave it at that?

Last edited:
I'll say it again then... Any athletics ranking system that ranks Stanford consistently at the top is irrelevant. I don't have to prove it--that's self evident.

LPT Football: Specializing in irrelevance...

And the CBS Sports rankings are also fact. Again, both use measureable criteria (facts) that draw different conclusions. One favors UK; one favors UofL. You can't say one is more valid than the other. Each one gives both programs reasons to be proud. Why can't we just leave it at that?

CBS also had a top 10 on most influential coaches in college athletics...Care to guess who made it and who didn't?.

Also top 10 most influential athletic directors...And I will ask the same question...Care to guess who made it and who didn't?

You can use any fact to skew how you want things to be viewed...Much like UL fans only go back to 1980 when disussing championships or the caliber of the basketball program while UK fans want to go back to 1978 or longer.

Sports are much like politics in that you can cherry pick any stat or figure to prove an argument.

Its what we do as fans. UK fans are just as guilty as UL fans.

CBS also had a top 10 on most influential coaches in college athletics...Care to guess who made it and who didn't?.

Also top 10 most influential athletic directors...And I will ask the same question...Care to guess who made it and who didn't?

You can use any fact to skew how you want things to be viewed...Much like UL fans only go back to 1980 when disussing championships or the caliber of the basketball program while UK fans want to go back to 1978 or longer.

Sports are much like politics in that you can cherry pick any stat or figure to prove an argument.

Its what we do as fans. UK fans are just as guilty as UL fans.

That's pretty much my point. Except I think I made my point while still giving UK credit. No "guess who didn't make it" comments.

You can use any fact to skew how you want things to be viewed...
Since I'm not familiar with the "most influential" polls cited, please enlighten us on the FACTS used in those polls to rank their people.

We know how CBS rated the schools in their relevancy poll--they told us. And we also know how the Directors rated their schools, in large part by counting riflery alongside football and basketball.

To simply gloss over the issue by pointing out that every poll has its winner is superficial analysis. For starters, you have to determine what are and aren't FACTS, and then determine whether they are RELEVANT. It's not that difficult--people get paid to do this stuff (data analysis) everyday.

Zipp, the issue is relevance. What is relevant to you may not be relevant to someone else and vice versa. They are concrete numbers which aren't disputable. Just because you find the way the results are calculated to be irrelevant doesn't make the poll itself irrelevant except to you and those that hold the same opinions. Not saying you are wrong to disagree with the way the results are determined but the people who do agree with the results aren't wrong either. It doesn't matter if they are UK fans, Stanford fans, or any other fan in between.

I also am guessing you would be singing a different tune of UL was ahead of UK in the poll though.

Zipp, the issue is relevance. What is relevant to you may not be relevant to someone else and vice versa. They are concrete numbers which aren't disputable. Just because you find the way the results are calculated to be irrelevant doesn't make the poll itself irrelevant except to you and those that hold the same opinions. Not saying you are wrong to disagree with the way the results are determined but the people who do agree with the results aren't wrong either. It doesn't matter if they are UK fans, Stanford fans, or any other fan in between.

I also am guessing you would be singing a different tune of UL was ahead of UK in the poll though.
So now are you guys going to hang a banner for this ?

That's pretty much my point. Except I think I made my point while still giving UK credit. No "guess who didn't make it" comments.

My post wasn't directed at you...It was more so pointing out the CBS had other polls that painted UK in a good light...I will be honest, I expected more people other than Zipp to attempt to discount those polls...I wasn't really attempting to take any shots at Pitino or Jurich for not being included (I do see how it could be taken that way) because they are very good at what they do.

This is a UL board and I really try to avoid trolling or flaming posts as I do like the civil debate and smacktalk back and forth. To me, it is fun and what makes the rivalry great. I want to be respectful of the UL athletic program. Not because I can get banned for certain childish remarks but because the UL program has proven over time that they deserve respect through their accomplishments. I certainly don't mind calling a spade a spade as I do it in regards to UK as well.

My post wasn't directed at you...It was more so pointing out the CBS had other polls that painted UK in a good light...I will be honest, I expected more people other than Zipp to attempt to discount those polls...I wasn't really attempting to take any shots at Pitino or Jurich for not being included (I do see how it could be taken that way) because they are very good at what they do.

This is a UL board and I really try to avoid trolling or flaming posts as I do like the civil debate and smacktalk back and forth. To me, it is fun and what makes the rivalry great. I want to be respectful of the UL athletic program. Not because I can get banned for certain childish remarks but because the UL program has proven over time that they deserve respect through their accomplishments. I certainly don't mind calling a spade a spade as I do it in regards to UK as well.
Really? Un-huh

Truth and facts do not sit well with the Louisville fan base.
LOL..did your baseball team make NCAA tournament..no..did your football team play in a bowl..no..did your womens bball play longer than UL in NCAA...no...Mens basketball..yes your team played 1 more game than UL...I will take how our major sports finished..you can have your director cup and your rifle team..I guess that's more important than long runs in NCAA tournaments and bowl games.

Zipp, the issue is relevance. What is relevant to you may not be relevant to someone else and vice versa. They are concrete numbers which aren't disputable. Just because you find the way the results are calculated to be irrelevant doesn't make the poll itself irrelevant except to you and those that hold the same opinions. Not saying you are wrong to disagree with the way the results are determined but the people who do agree with the results aren't wrong either. It doesn't matter if they are UK fans, Stanford fans, or any other fan in between...
The relevancy question isn't answered by you, me, or any other person with an opinion. As CBS did their analysis, it was based on what a MAJORITY of fans and media thinks. Not sure how they made that determination, but those are exactly the opinions that matter and are relevant. Not coincidentally, when you pareto college sports by revenue, the sports on CBS's list are at the top.

To simply weight all sports equal is sloppy, non-representative, and irrelevant. I could have randomly pulled results out of a hat and claimed to have reached an objective result. But just as (ir-)relevant.

And no, if my riflery team got the same number of points as the Ohio State football championship team, I'd recognize that scoring system as the bull$hit it is.

Last edited:
Again that is your opinion Zipp. Not saying it is wrong, however whatever group or committee came up with the Directors Cup felt differently and I won't say they are wrong either. There is no real true way to quantify it much like Steelers has said along with me. Different metrics lead to different results. Neither are wrong. They are just different outcomes.

It's not MY opinion. Millions of Americans have spoken. Show me comparable TV ratings for college football and riflery, and the Director's Cup has meaning. Doesn't matter what you or any one person says.

Zipp you know as well as I do the viewership means nothing. Just because people enjoy watching football doesn't mean they all disagree with the results. More people watched the Women's World Cup finale than the NCAA Championship game in either football or basketball so by your standard that must mean soccer is more important than football or basketball.

You have yet to say anything other than your opinion to say the way it is calculated is flawed. You have yet to show any quote or figure from someone of importance in the NCAA to back up your viewpoint. You can't because they haven't said anything like that because they agree with how it is set up. Disagree with them all you want but it doesn't change the results. You know what they say about opinions. You are entitled to yours as is everyone else out there. it doesn't mean you are right.

I'll say it again then... Any athletics ranking system that ranks Stanford consistently at the top is irrelevant. I don't have to prove it--that's self evident.

LPT Football: Specializing in irrelevance...

Zipp you have a problem. You only have tunnel vision. You are only able to look at things through red colored glasses. You can not even be rational. Why can't you just admit that both UK and Louisville have very good athletic programs and facilities and be glad that they both represent the state of Kentucky.

Zipp you have a problem. You only have tunnel vision. You are only able to look at things through red colored glasses. You can not even be rational. Why can't you just admit that both UK and Louisville have very good athletic programs and facilities and be glad that they both represent the state of Kentucky.
Take your own advice.

Take your own advice.

I did. I have been complimentary of UL in this thread and your response was "Really? Un huh."

So you don't believe us when we are complimentary, which I have to ask why. I have said nothing to illicit that response from you.

18 out of the past 22 years had made the Director's Cup standings a touchy subject.
LOL...hang your hat on Directors cup..I would rather have Bowl games, womens runner up games, world series...nice facilities...congrats on your rifle team..

So now you are saying you'd rather be good in the main sports and not across the board? That's funny because until the Directors Cup was brought up, it was always that UL was the better across all sports. When produces with facts that say that UK is as good across all sports if not better, you move on to bowl games and CWS.

Why not be happy that both schools have strong athletic departments? I am because I know if UL is strong, then UK will do everything they can to strengthen across the board. It makes both schools and the state better.

So now you are saying you'd rather be good in the main sports and not across the board? That's funny because until the Directors Cup was brought up, it was always that UL was the better across all sports. When produces with facts that say that UK is as good across all sports if not better, you move on to bowl games and CWS...
Let's not manipulate the discussion and the facts... Louisville attempts to be the best at all sports by being the best in each sport. That's to comply with Title IX and to build the university.

When it comes to public recognition for your athletics, the question is "based on what?" Based on sports like riflery? Or based on sports that matter to the most people, e.g., the CBS poll? It's ludicrous to weight success in riflery alongside of a football national championship. Doesn't matter if it's called the "Directors Cup".

And I'd admit that even if I was the riflery champ.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT