ADVERTISEMENT

Could UK end the season with only one top #20 win

jalovell23

2000+
Jul 8, 2007
Boone County
At the end of the season UofL and UNC will be ranked between Top 20 and 25. The only Top 20 win, UK will have, is against Kansas(which lost again against WVU).

Originally posted by jalovell23:

At the end of the season UofL and UNC will be ranked between Top 20 and 25. The only Top 20 win, UK will have, is against Kansas(which lost again against WVU).
To answer your question - probably not.

KU is a lock to remain in the Top 20, I think we can go ahead and put that on the board.

UofL and UNC are going through it, there is for sure a chance both fall out of the polls.

Arky checks in @ #18 and may also fall out of the polls, they don't figure to beat UK so that's a close shave.

Texas and Prov are both right around 25-30 range in the polls - so if certain teams fall out they could potentially join the polls.

All that said, at this point of the season it is really hard for a number of teams to make moves one way or the other because every team loses games - conference play is just very tough across the board.

Originally posted by jalovell23:

I don't understand why it matters. UK has played AND beat every team they've played to date and while this may be a very unpopular opinion on this board, I think they're going to run the table and be the first undefeated college basketball team since 1976. The only way that doesn't happen is they play down to a lesser team (everyone left on their schedule) and come in not ready to play. So far they've had enough talent to overcome that even when they weren't fully prepared to play.

UK plays their best basketball when they play a good team so those of you hoping to see them lose in the NCAA are probably going to be disappointed. UK is for real. Calipari is doing a great coaching job (I feel dirty for even saying it), and the kids on that roster seem to really like each other. I'll go ahead and crown them champions today. I honestly do not see them losing.

This post was edited on 2/19 7:30 AM by Cue Card

I have a far different opinion. Objectively, they are a great team, but they will be primed for an NCAA tournament upset-perhaps even in the first weekend. You can't waltz through garbage opponents for two months and truly get better. The close games they've played against bad teams are telling.

Well said Cue... gotta give the Cats their due... so far they have handled every challenge.
UK can't control how teams end up, but they have beaten every ranked team they've played.
I don't see UL, UNC, or KU falling out of the rankings.

Brandon, as far as UK flaming out in the first weekend, I would be shocked to see that.
I'm not saying they're invincible... heck, this isn't even the best UK team of the last 4 years IMO, but they have so much talent and are so deep, they can weather any storm. Once you get to the Elite 8, anything can happen.

They may or may not go 40-0, but the SEC is not as bad as you make it out. All conference play is tough... these 2 months of conference play are like a prolonged scrimmage... it will be interesting to see if UK elevates their game against tougher opposition. Like Cue said, I think they will

I love this argument all opposing fans have. The weak sec will be their demise. Was this the case last year? Our weak conference last year had 3 teams in the sweet 16 and 2 teams in the final four. Oh and as far as this year, we practice against a better team than you have beaten all year. Our practices are better preparation than any of these joke teams you are losing to.

I've said it before and will say it again: Ignore conference play. All this nonsense about teams magically getting better because they start winning a bunch of conference games drives me crazy. UCLA has manged to be a top 50 team because they've won a few in the Pac 12 this year, but does anyone in their right mind think UCLA is any sort of remotely decent team? Kansas can win however many Big 12 games they want, but at the end of the day I bet they're done in the Round of 32.

When filling out a bracket don't put too much trust into teams that lost 3-4 games out of conference and then go crazy and win a conference. I didn't buy Miami in 2013, nor did I buy Virginia last year. The true essence of a team to me is how they fare against teams out of conference, which is largely who teams play in the NCAA tournament. Conversely, last year I kinda did think UConn was some semblance of a title threat since they were quite good out of conference. Five of their losses were to U of L and SMU, so as long as they avoided both teams (and SMU didn't get in the tourney), UConn had a shot.

Originally posted by johnnyflcat4life:
I love this argument all opposing fans have. The weak sec will be their demise. Was this the case last year? Our weak conference last year had 3 teams in the sweet 16 and 2 teams in the final four. Oh and as far as this year, we practice against a better team than you have beaten all year. Our practices are better preparation than any of these joke teams you are losing to.
Just when I want to begrudgingly compliment them, Billy Joe Wildcat shows up and reminds me why I hate them----their ignorant, in-bred fans. Despise Cal but their players seem like pretty good kids. But the FANS!!! Aye the fans!!! Most obnoxious anywhere and that includes British soccer hooligans.

I give my opinion on nothing but basketball, and you come in with nothing but personal attacks and name calling. I am not exactly sure how I am coming off obnoxious, but you are a great ambassador for the cardinal fanbase. I always found it funny how Kentucky fans are inbred, toothless, mouth breathers yet Louisville fans aren't. You do realize that we are in the same state right.

Originally posted by Cabbageboy:
I've said it before and will say it again: Ignore conference play. All this nonsense about teams magically getting better because they start winning a bunch of conference games drives me crazy. UCLA has manged to be a top 50 team because they've won a few in the Pac 12 this year, but does anyone in their right mind think UCLA is any sort of remotely decent team? Kansas can win however many Big 12 games they want, but at the end of the day I bet they're done in the Round of 32.

When filling out a bracket don't put too much trust into teams that lost 3-4 games out of conference and then go crazy and win a conference. I didn't buy Miami in 2013, nor did I buy Virginia last year. The true essence of a team to me is how they fare against teams out of conference, which is largely who teams play in the NCAA tournament. Conversely, last year I kinda did think UConn was some semblance of a title threat since they were quite good out of conference. Five of their losses were to U of L and SMU, so as long as they avoided both teams (and SMU didn't get in the tourney), UConn had a shot.
Interesting way to look at things. So if your theory is correct then the only team out of conference the Cards need to be concerned about is UK. As long as the Cards avoid the ACC teams that have beat us, then we'll have a real shot at making it to the final four.

I like the way you think!!

If you really want to get down to it, UL needs to avoid any team with a post presence. Syracuse demoralized UL post defenders. UK came to town and did the same. Then there is NC State and their guards got in to the lanes with ease and the post defenders were too slow to shift over and stop the drives to the basket or at least contest shots. NC State also got several 2nd and 3rd chance shots from the O board. Duke and Okafor, do I really need to detail this one? Didn't think so.

Does UL have a chance to do damage. Yes, of course. But then there are a lot of UL type teams out there this year. UL has to defend better and create chaos. If they can not do that, then they'll have an early exit.

I just do not understand how RP did not at least work to improve the Anas kid. He's agile and and can be a decent rim protector and rebounder. If he was improved, he could be that X factor that adds the depth it takes to make a run.

This post was edited on 2/19 11:08 AM by KeepingItReal74

Actually the SEC had a fairly decent conference (albeit top heavy) last year as evident of the post season results. Will the same happen this year? It could, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I don't agree about your joke teams comment though and if you take heat, it'll be because of that snide comment. BTW, one of those "joke teams that UofL has lost to" is UK.

You can't make this stuff up.

Sooo your team had a bad loss last night and this morning you want to talk about who UK has beat? You wonder why we consider you the little brother lol, What a completely ridiculous thread to start after a bad loss and your team seeming to have no chemistry and your coach throwing your own players under the bus. But hey don't focus on whats going on with your team, start a thread about who UK has beaten this yr, and if your keeping count its everyone they've played so far including your team. Who has UL beat this yr. OSU whos on the edge of top 25 and UNC...
This post was edited on 2/19 12:37 PM by weBEhanginBANNERS

Originally posted by weBEhanginBANNERS:

Sooo your team had a bad loss last night and this morning you want to talk about who UK has beat? You wonder why we consider you the little brother lol, What a completely ridiculous thread to start after a bad loss and your team seeming to have no chemistry and your coach throwing your own players under the bus. But hey don't focus on whats going on with your team, start a thread about who UK has beaten this yr, and if your keeping count its everyone they've played so far including your team. Who has UL beat this yr. OSU whos on the edge of top 25 and UNC...
Says the guy posting on our board
laugh.r191677.gif

Says the guy stating the obvious lol, came over to see how you all were taking the loss, and it turns out your more worried about how high the ranked teams that uk has beat this yr more than what is going on with your team. But again thanks for stating the obvious it was hilarious, almost as funny as this thread

Originally posted by cuzimacardfan:

Says the guy posting on our board
laugh.r191677.gif
Exactly, but the sad thing is he doesn't get it. The irony is completely over his head.

If that's sad what exactly is starting a thread about UK and how at the end of the year they might only have one top 20 win when your team just took a bad loss?

If that's sad what exactly is starting a thread about UK and how at the end of the year they might only have one top 20 win when your team just took a bad loss?
No what you don't get is the OP doesn't speak for ALL UofL fans. Just because there is ONE poster who posts something like this doesn't mean we're all thinking about the cesspool in Lexington. Also just in case you overlooked it, my first question to the OP was why does it matter?

You're just trolling looking for a fight. Nothing more. If you want to actually talk basketball then do it or get a life.

Yes there's NEVER any UL talk on your board.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

DING, DING, DING, We have a winner. I started this post based on FACTS, and FACTS alone. just like what CarindalJim posted about UK being knocked out by whichever conference UofL is in. I KNOW UK has a really good team(they should, they have 9 McDonald All Americans). It just amazes me how many people get frustrated and pissed off..............just over FACTS.

GO CARDS!!!!

I got another fact...........IT IS COLD OUTSIDE : )

UK winning 7 of the past 8 games head to head and pretty much owning a certain rival team in every way possible. If knocked out of tourney, it won't be a certain team in the ACC conference. I like them odds.

Originally posted by KeepingItReal74:
UK winning 7 of the past 8 games head to head and pretty much owning a certain rival team in every way possible. If knocked out of tourney, it won't be a certain team in the ACC conference. I like them odds.
Why are you here again? (and don't give me your poor pitiful me passive-aggressive bs that "I'm just here to talk basketball") Look at the amount of UK threads here and then go to Cats Piss site and tell me who is obsessed.

I do think CBB is down this year. Its Duke, UK, and maybe UVA, then everybody else, pretty much interchangeably. I don't like UW or Gonzaga or any of the other pretenders, including us. The only thing UK has to fear is Duke or UVA, and I think they can beat both. Running them down is pointless, I hate them as much as anybody else, as much as the entire country for that matter, but they have the best players and they are playing well together, seamlessly, in fact. UK threads always bring in the kids and the trolls, thanks.

DING, DING, DING, We have a winner. I started this post based on FACTS, and FACTS alone. just like what CarindalJim posted about UK being knocked out by whichever conference UofL is in. I KNOW UK has a really good team(they should, they have 9 McDonald All Americans). It just amazes me how many people get frustrated and pissed off..............just over FACTS.

hey Jalovell23
Ummm no you didn't, it was a prediction you had on how the rest of the season would go for teams that UK has beat. Now if that turns out to be true congrats. But a prediction is far from a fact which you claim is what this post was based on. And again starting a thread like this after a bad lose is pretty funny. Also glad YOU KNOW what everybody who watches college basketball knows.

And if the cold could stop that would also be great

Hey weBEha...ANNERS,

You do realize that I just made this post to get people talking about nonsense. It looks like it worked. I am bored at work and its cold out. I never thought that over 1600 people would look at this post.

Stay Warm and be careful............it looks like more snow is coming.

haha indeed it did work, probably the only reason I check out whats going on over here cause I can only look at the same threads so many times while bored at work.

Yes stay safe not looking forward to any more snow, im already over it and ready to book a cruise

Also how many more years is Robert morris going to be brought up? it happened was a rough yr with not as good talent as other years and we lost our best player late in the yr. But yes it was a bad loss a few years ago lol

I agree. If it wasn't for UK, no one notice UL. Good point. It's good the rivals can agree on something.
Yeah, how's that local news scroll about Aaron leaving? Is that still happening? I mean it's been 2 full days now so breaking news like that should be coming out on all the other social media site by now. Yes? I really hope you're keepingitreal.

It was there. Here's something for you. I actually believe UL could create some havoc in the tourney. They've still got that frenetic pace that drives some teams through the loop. I just don't think UL fans should give up yet. Wait until the draw and you'll see a ray of light that could have the Cards providing match up problems for the teams in their bracket and end up in the final four. My hats off to Rozier. Kid never gets tired.

It was there. Here's something for you. I actually believe UL could create some havoc in the tourney. They've still got that frenetic pace that drives some teams through the loop. I just don't think UL fans should give up yet. Wait until the draw and you'll see a ray of light that could have the Cards providing match up problems for the teams in their bracket and end up in the final four. My hats off to Rozier. Kid never gets tired.
Sure it was. Nice deflection btw. I don't need anyone who bleeds blue telling me anything about the Cardinals program so save it. I know what Pitino and this team is capable of and at 20-6, some would say they've underachieved.

Maybe so but the season isn't over and as far as I know, Aaron is still on the roster. All this crap about him leaving and being unhappy and transferring out might end up being true, but after 2 full days and STILL no official word from media outlets other than some trolls screaming he's leaving is all I've seen so far about this kid. Funny how that works.

I will say this about the kid and leave it be. If he is THAT shallow and that short sighted then he was never cut out to be a productive part of this program to start with. WE expect kids to show up and work hard and EARN their way. We don't have nor want players who don't buy into the L1C4 mantra and if one slips in, then eventually that kid is exposed and shown the door.

Louisville FIRST. Cardinals FOREVER. That's what it is ALL about.

This post was edited on 2/20 4:47 PM by Cue Card

I disagree. Kids transfer for many reasons. Heck, your best player Harrell is a transfer. Kyle Wiltjer left UK and is ballin and went for 45 last night. Whatever the reason, fans don't know the details. Just gotta hope it works out for the kid and their respective families.

I disagree. Kids transfer for many reasons. Heck, your best player Harrell is a transfer. Kyle Wiltjer left UK and is ballin and went for 45 last night. Whatever the reason, fans don't know the details. Just gotta hope it works out for the kid and their respective families.
Harrell is not a transfer. He was released from his LOI due to a coaching change at Virginia Tech and signed with UofL as a true freshman. Wiltjer was forced out at UK to make room for a new prima donna. Old news.

Regardless, it's funny that none of the regular posters who post here saw this local news scroll about the kid leaving. Strange. Real freaking strange and yet STILL not a single word about it anywhere on any internet site anywhere other than Catspause and a few other message boards that get trolled by UK fans.

14 UL related threads right now just on the first page at CI. But hey don't focus on what's going on with your team, start a thread about UL and "thugball" (we know what that really means). Yeah "little brother" LOL!!!

Plenty of racists in those threads too. You can just see that many of them are having to fight themselves to throw out the N-word especially with regard to Harrell, although one did call him a "boy" from the "hood" not to mention numerous "thugs". That fan base is embarrassing.

Originally posted by BrandonQuick:

I have a far different opinion. Objectively, they are a great team, but they will be primed for an NCAA tournament upset-perhaps even in the first weekend. You can't waltz through garbage opponents for two months and truly get better. The close games they've played against bad teams are telling.
You cain't be serious?

I give my opinion on nothing but basketball, and you come in with nothing but personal attacks and name calling. I am not exactly sure how I am coming off obnoxious, but you are a great ambassador for the cardinal fanbase. I always found it funny how Kentucky fans are inbred, toothless, mouth breathers yet Louisville fans aren't. You do realize that we are in the same state right.
Johnnyflcat4life you are just making me laugh hysterically with this comment. Yes we might technically be in Kentucky (though most of us would rather be associated with Indiana and a good portion of UofL fans live in Indiana) but make no mistake about it, that is where the similarities end. UofL was a beacon of tolerance and equal rights while UK fought integration tooth and nail. UofL was a leader in having black athletes while UK had to come into the world of desegregation kicking and screaming! UofL never had a cheater racist coach like UK's Adolph Rupp who PROUDLY proclaimed that a black person would never play basketball at UK. Louisville was solidly for the union and kept the state in the union while most out in the state wanted to join the confederacy. Louisville is a diverse city while a lot of people in Kentucky have probably never known someone who wasn't white.

Louisville is a beacon of light in what is otherwise a very dark state! Don't think for even a second that we have anything in common. I love Louisville, the rest of the state can burn for all I care.

This post was edited on 2/22 1:18 PM by 83UofLCards83

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT