ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching News Supposedly Coming

We had Peck Hickman for 32 years and then John Dromo for 2 years, followed by Howard Stacy for a year and then Denny Crum for 32 years. That was followed by Rick Pitino for 16 years, Dave Padget for 1/2 season, Chris Mack for 4 seasons and KP for 2 years. I sure hope we get the right coach this time. On a side note did you know that John Dromo was the Head coach for the Louisville basketball and football team at the same time.

Reactions: glassmanJ
John Dromo was great, a nice guy and I believe the UofL golf coach for many years after his retirement from the stresses as basketball coach. He was actually the head basketball coach for 4 years, although his final year was cut short due to a heart attack in mid-season, and Howard Stacey finished out that year, with Denny following immediately after that season. But Dromo was never the head coach of UofL football, although he did briefly assist Frank Camp for football.

Peck Hickman helped coach as an assistant to Frank Camp along with being the AD and head basketball coach. Dromo was the assistant AD along with assistant basketball coach and golf coach.

You’re right he was the assistant coach for both football and basketball for 17 years. Then he became Head coach of basketball after Hickman retired.

Chris Mack to Vandy? Just a rumor but I think his daughter is going there to play VB. Might be a good place to gauge how good a coach he really is.

You’re right he was the assistant coach for both football and basketball for 17 years. Then he became Head coach of basketball after Hickman retired.
Coach Dromo was also the football recruiter who persuaded a young John Unitas to become a Fighting Cardinal.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Chris Mack to Vandy? Just a rumor but I think his daughter is going there to play VB. Might be a good place to gauge how good a coach he really is.
Folks are mentioning it. Tonight it was mentioned on Channel 5 Sports Central. fwiw Mr. NC

I, proudly, was the last athlete recruited by John Dromo to come to UofL and play golf for him. Unfortunately, he has a heart attack in the fall of 1987 and relinquished his coaching duties for his final stint at UofL that spring so I never actually got to play for the coach who signed

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
Mack showed at Xavier the he is a very good coach. Also, his 2nd team at Louisville, which got no post-season because of the Covid hysteria, was capable of a very deep run.

Any time a coach like Pitino gets canned, the next coach is going to find the going very tough because unless he wins it all, there will be elements of the fan base, and school administration, looking all the time for faults. And then it is easy to have a situation that gets out of hand quickly.

Reactions: daggit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT