ADVERTISEMENT

Clear Channel Joined at the Hip with Maddie Jones...

The little LPT boot licker was on the radio this morning eulogizing Bill Gentry of Clear Channel who protects him from the evil one, Tom Jurich. You can hear what the lead slapd!ck said by podcast which is how I heard it.

Jones characterizes Jurich as having done everything he can to get Jones off the air. And without details, Jones credits Gentry as having stood up to Jurich. I really don't need any details.

Here are the Clear Channel radio stations in our area:

WHAS 840 AM
WAMZ 97.5 FM
WKRD 790 AM
WQMF 95.7 FM
WTFX 93.1 FM
WKJK 1080 AM
WLGX 100.5 FM
WNRW 98.9 FM

If you listen to any of these radio stations regularly or patronize their sponsors, you're supporting Clear Channel, Gentry, and Slapd!ck Nation. There are entertainment and business alternatives to these people. I encourage everyone to find them...
Since another host is in the time slot Lachlan had, it would be a good time to call in and discuss the financials of the YUM Center and TIF taxes.

Since another host is in the time slot Lachlan had, it would be a good time to call in and discuss the financials of the YUM Center and TIF taxes.
As most know, I generally don't bring up the arena topic unless news is out. That next opportunity will be when they report their annual financials in a few weeks.

Forget about what they will report again as "operating profit". They'll spin all sorts of info as positive, such as bookings, TIF revenue (up but still way short), etc. I'll be looking at their balance sheet for the decline in current/liquid assets including cash, since they're in cash burn mode. That is, even with their bailout money, they still don't make enough money to cover their expenses.

And when that money runs out...

Jim Host I'll-Be-Dead-By-Then Arena

Last edited:
Maybe we can also talk about all the "under the table" money that uk is paying the AAU summer league basketball teams and the "street agents" .
That is discussion worth having.

A little anecdote here...

Yesterday, 93.9 The Ville interviewed Rick Pitino during their afternoon show hosted by Ramsey and Rutherford. The day before, they had Bobby Petrino IN STUDIO for some extended Q&A. Coach Petrino has promised R&R some radio time every Monday afternoon from now on. (Of course, I don't expect Petrino to always be available himself--instead, one of his assistants--or able to come to the ESPN studios personally.)

During a commercial yesterday, and because I haven't dialed in AM 790 in awhile, I turned the channel to see what the "Dogs" were talking about. To my surprise, they had Andy Weingarten (sp?) on in their place, a television meteorologist. WTF??

Is there really a choice anymore for afternoon sports talk radio?...

Yesterday, 93.9 The Ville interviewed Rick Pitino during their afternoon show hosted by Ramsey and Rutherford. The day before, they had Bobby Petrino IN STUDIO for some extended Q&A. Coach Petrino has promised R&R some radio time every Monday afternoon from now on. (Of course, I don't expect Petrino to always be available himself--instead, one of his assistants--or able to come to the ESPN studios personally.)

During a commercial yesterday, and because I haven't dialed in AM 790 in awhile, I turned the channel to see what the "Dogs" were talking about. To my surprise, they had Andy Weingarten (sp?) on in their place, a television meteorologist. WTF??

Not unless you are a Kentucky fan.

Weingarten, as I understand, is also an LPT fan. Careful believing that guy's weather forecasts...

Weingarten, as I understand, is also an LPT fan. Careful believing that guy's weather forecasts...

It must suck to always be complaining. I don't get why you boys get your panties in a wad over I-Heart and UK. If you don't listen as you claim then why do you care?

Reactions: lwbb
It must suck to always be complaining. I don't get why you boys get your panties in a wad over I-Heart and UK. If you don't listen as you claim then why do you care?
I don't eat poop either. But I know how it smells from a distance, and I don't want it on my living room carpet.

Your point would be?...

John Ramsey here.. just wanted to weigh-in and clear up a few things. It seems that the original point of the post was that Maddie Jones is spewing more lies and it seems that his fans are eating it up. I do not speak for Tom Jurich and quite frankly this topic is not worth his valuable time. However, I can promise you that he did not try to "get Maddie off the air" as Jones claims. Hard to imagine that a man who works as hard as Mr. Jurich has time to worry about an idiot who spews venom from 10-1:00 pm. (BTW how does anyone who works listen during that time?) Take a gander at TJ's body of work..seems obvious via UL's athletic success that MJ is not a priority.
I have yet to meet an intelligent UK fan who claims Maddie Bangs represents their program and school in a manner they deem is appropriate. I tried to listen a few times but it became obvious that despite his education he lacks professionalism and integrity. Bad diction, lots of bodily function jokes.. UGH.. Very low road and juvenile.. He insults student athletes, fabricates stories about opposing coaches, administrators, and yes, other radio personalities. To his credit his schtick seems to appeal to a select group. Oh about those great ratings that he claims.. Maddie has built a network of small stations and he combines those numbers to sound impressive. As I stated there is a segment of of BBN that buy everything he says regardless of his lack of integrity. Hard to knock his hustle.. he is compensated well by appealing to those who embrace his negative and combative rubbish. If he were so great why would his show be scheduled from 10-1:00 rather than a morning or afternoon drive slot? His numbers may actually be OK but the number of people that are listening during that time of day is so small it is hard to compare him with other shows. If you can listen during that time then you probably are without a job or you spend much of your day driving. JC for 3.. my show moved from 10-noon to afternoon drive and I sincerely hope that your lack of employment is not the reason you are unaware.
Personally Maddie has attacked me from day one..on his site and on-air. Many have been insulted by Maddie and I feel a bit of pride to be included in his target group (remember he called Coach Cal a cheater before he was hired at UK) . I guess I owe him a "thank you"..despite his intent the publicity was nice. However, he did say one thing that cut me a bit. Maddie claimed I wanted to be the UL version of him. First of all..what an ego! I mean, WHO says that anyone wants to be them? I hold myself to a MUCH higher standard and the UL fan base would run me out of town if I represented them in such a low-class manner. Fortunately for me and all Cardinal fans the success of the UL athletic program speaks for itself. How lucky are we to have so many positives both on the field of competition and in the classroom? No need for negativity when you win national championships, Sugar and Orange Bowls, College World Series, Final Fours, ..not to mention national success in swimming and diving, soccer and tennis. Please check out the new national APR classroom achievement numbers...education is truly a priority with Cardinal Athletics.
Admittedly, I have taken shots at Maddie to defend myself or those he has attacked. The UL fan base has made it clear to me that they expect me to navigate the show with a positive Louisville focus rather than the negative low road that Maddie prefers. I will attempt to represent UL with the excellence and class they have earned and apologize for spending too much time on this topic. Just wanted to express my opinion and passion.
Oh..show is going GREAT! I have a fabulous new partner in Mike Rutherford who is a great guy and good friend. He is respected by Card fans and as intelligent, insightful and witty as they come!
93.9 The Ville. We are an oasis of red in a blue dessert. Please give us a listen!

Well imagine my surprise to see Mr. Ramsey himself show up in this thread.

As for your question about how can people listen in that 10 to Noon timeslot.... an I-phone with iHeart radio app installed and a pair of headphones make that task incredibly easy.

As for your concern for me....no worries, John. I'm gainfully employed in the legal field and have been working in downtown Cincy for the last 20 years.

As for Matt's compensation.... I'm sure he is 'compensated well' as you put it....his listening audience is pretty large, no matter what you or any of the other detractors here have to say about it. If he didn't have that audience, the advertisers wouldn't be there.

Weingarten is a regular caller/contributor, (and now fill-in) in to 790. He IS a self proclaimed UK fan, but he doesn't seem to be any kind of anti-UofL guy. He is from Louisville, but attended Oklahoma for his meteorology degree. My only issue with him, other than being pretty boring, is his lack of UofL knowledge. For example, when discussing the upcoming basketball season, he consistently included Shaqquan Aaron as a projected contributor. I would look for his role to expand unfortunately, as I have heard him multiple times talk about how much he would like his own sports talk show. I guess the weather game is even too boring for him.

@93.9theville ... I've listened off and on since Rutherford has joined you ... you guys are bringing the content! I don't know if you have access to the premium forums here (I would hope so - some solid discussions go on there), but I was just commenting over there, on all that has happened on your show in the last 10 days. Very impressive!

Mike seems to ask the questions of your guests that I have, which is a tad freaky. But you guys seem to work real well together. Nice chemistry which I know will get better over time.

As you mentioned, covering U of L athletics sure gives you lots and lots of topics to discuss. TJ sure has things humming, as more and more programs compete nationally for championships.

Keep up the great work!

...As for your concern for me....no worries, John. I'm gainfully employed in the legal field and have been working in downtown Cincy for the last 20 years...
As are most people who post extensively on the internet in the middle of a normal workday.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Last edited:
Weingarten is a regular caller/contributor, (and now fill-in) in to 790. He IS a self proclaimed UK fan, but he doesn't seem to be any kind of anti-UofL guy. He is from Louisville, but attended Oklahoma for his meteorology degree. My only issue with him, other than being pretty boring, is his lack of UofL knowledge. For example, when discussing the upcoming basketball season, he consistently included Shaqquan Aaron as a projected contributor. I would look for his role to expand unfortunately, as I have heard him multiple times talk about how much he would like his own sports talk show. I guess the weather game is even too boring for him.
I don't really have a bone to pick with Weingarten as I've heard him make guest appearances on the Dogs show before. As you point out, he's pretty know-nothing when it comes to U of L, and his delivery is uninspiring. For those reasons, I hope he gets increasing airtime on Clear Channel stations.

Obviously, I wouldn't expect him to be anti-U of L if he wants to survive in the Louisville TV market. Other local news personalities have proven that problem can be managed.

"As are most people who post extensively on the internet in the middle of a normal workday."

....just one of my many perks, I guess.

My experience is that jobs not worth having sometimes come with those kinda "perks".

Got no worries here. The legal business is good...and it's consistent.
It's funny how the blue holes talk about UofL fans being obsessed with uk while posting on the UofL Board !! LMAO
And they ( the blue one uk fans ) spend some much time posting on the UofL board.........talk about OBSESSION!

How'd you like to be in his "legal business"?

I usually tell folks around me... I don't have a day job. And when you see people consistently as much as you see me, when you see and hear from people as much as you hear from me, if someone has as much time for this BS as I do, that person probably has a job about like mine. Or if he has a job, it's probably about as valuable as mine.

People don't get paid good money so that they can play on the internet. Unless coming to this site is part of your job. But that applies to damn few of us. I feel guilty sometimes posting here as much as I do. But I don't have a regular job, so at least I have an excuse.

It's another reason you see so many LPT fans on the internet.

Of course, some call it a "perk". ROTFLMAO!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT