ADVERTISEMENT

Cards vs Wake Forest Series

PHCARD

Apr 6, 2007
Let's put that midweek loss behind us. Let's go Cards.

Finally some press. I was getting worried.

Links
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The fifth-ranked University of Louisville baseball team starts a seven-game homestand with three against Wake Forest beginning on Friday at 6 p.m. ET at Jim Patterson Stadium. Saturday's game is set for 1 p.m. ET and the series wraps up Sunday at 12:30 p.m. ET. The first two games of the weekend can be seen on ACC Network Extra with Sunday's game scheduled to air on ESPN2. Radio coverage of all three games will be available on 93.9 The Ville.

ABOUT THE CARDINALS
The Cardinals suffered their second straight walk-off loss on Tuesday, losing 13-12 at Cincinnati in 10 innings. Trey Leonard had a career-night at the plate going 4-for-6 with two doubles and a home run with three RBIs in the loss.

The Louisville offense stayed hot on Tuesday, scoring 12 runs on 15 hits. Over the last seven games, the Cardinals are averaging 8.9 runs and 11.9 hits, with 31 extra-base hits during that stretch.

SERIES HISTORY
Louisville and Wake Forest have 20 previous meetings heading into the weekend. The Cardinals are 16-4 all-time including an 8-1 mark in Louisville. UofL took two-of-three against the Demon Deacons in Winston-Salem last season.

TEAM NOTES
  • Louisville owns 119 conference wins since joining the ACC in 2015, the most conference wins during that time of any Power Five school.
  • UofL has won 41 of its 55 ACC series (two series ended 1-1) since joining the league and is 44-9 in its series finales during that span, including a 14-6 record in rubber games.
  • The Cardinals have won 20 of their 26 ACC series (one ended 1-1) at home since debuting in the conference.
  • Louisville's offense ranks among the best in the ACC this season. The Cardinals currently lead the ACC in runs, hits, triples, total bases, on-base percentage, RBIs and stolen bases, while ranking second in batting average and slugging percentage, and third in walks, hit by pitches and home runs.
  • The Cardinals have been the one of the best in the country on the basepaths this season with 66 stolen bases, 38 more than anyone in the ACC. Levi Usher leads the ACC and country with 19, while Cooper Bowman is third with 10, Luke Brown fourth with nine, and Henry Davis fifth with eight.

PLAYER NOTES
  • Henry Davis has been the most consistent hitter for the Cardinals this season. Davis saw his 23-game hitting streak come to an end in the second game at Notre Dame, the first game he didn't record a hit this season. The sophomore is tied for first in the ACC in RBIs while ranking third in hits and on-base percentage, and fifth in batting average, total bases and stolen bases. Davis also has eight stolen bases after having just one through his first two seasons at Louisville.
  • Alex Binelas has seen his bat start to heat up over the last two weeks. The sophomore has caught fire over the last four games going 9-for-18 (.500) with two triples, three home runs, seven runs scored and 12 RBIs. Binelas recorded two triples against Western Kentucky, becoming the first Louisville player with two triples in a game since Ty Young did so against Notre Dame on March 28, 2013.
  • Trey Leonard is having the best season of his Louisville career in 2021. The junior enters the weekend leading the team with a .400 batting average after a career-night on Tuesday at Cincinnati. Leonard was 4-for-6 with three RBIs against the Bearcats, hitting a go-ahead home run in the sixth, a game-tying double in the eighth and adding another double in the 10th. Leonard set career-highs in hits, doubles and RBIs
  • Cooper Bowman slid into the leadoff spot for the three-game series at Georgia Tech and made an immediate impact. In 15 games in the leadoff spot, Bowman is 21-for-61 (.344) with six home runs, 11 RBIs and 19 runs scored. Bowman hit a leadoff homer on March 7 at Georgia Tech was the first for the Cardinals since Corey Ray at Miami on March 18, 2016. One game later, he became the first Cardinal since Alex Binelas in 2019 to homer twice in a single game.
  • Christian Knapczyk has started the last 15 games at shortstop for the Cardinals and has been a sparkplug at the bottom of the UofL lineup. The freshman is 19-for-53 (.359) in his 15 starts, tallying five doubles, two triples, 13 RBIs and scoring 14 times. Knapczyk has a hit in 15 of the 17 games he's played in this season.
  • Levi Usher set a Louisville school record (since 2000) with five stolen bases in the win over Murray State. Usher is the national leader in stolen bases with 19, eight more than anyone else in the ACC. Since joining the Cardinals, Usher is 30-of-33 (19-for-21 this year) on the basepaths in 39 career games.
  • Michael Kirian has smoothly made the transition from closer to weekend starter this season. The southpaw improved to 4-0 on the season after taking a no-hitter into the eighth inning on Friday at NC State and tallying a career-high 13 strikeouts. Since the start of the 2019 season, Kirian has a 1.49 ERA in 66.1 innings with 82 strikeouts and just 22 walks.
  • Kaleb Corbett has made a massive impact in his first season with the Cardinals. The right-hander has made 11 relief appearances, finishing eight games with four saves. Corbett started his collegiate career with 17.1 scoreless innings before stumbling in the 10th inning at Cincinnati.

BINELAS EARNS D1BASEBALL NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Sophomore Alex Binelas got off to a slow start in 2021, but his bat caught fire in the middle of March. Binelas was named the D1Baseball National Player of the Week for March 22-28 after going 7-for-10 (.700) with two triples, two home runs and 10 RBIs in three games against Western Kentucky and Notre Dame.

Binelas opened the week with a 4-for-4 showing against WKU with five RBIs, becoming the first Louisville player with two triples in the same game since Ty Young during the 2013 season. He then homered in both games at Notre Dame, including a game-tying shot in the ninth inning of the Saturday game.

Last edited:
The WF Sunday game (12:30 pm) is on ESPN2.

GO CARDS!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: PHCARD
Truth: I thought today was Friday until 5:45pm today. So I started this thread a day early. 🤣

Reactions: gocds
Truth: I thought today was Friday until 5:45pm today. So I started this thread a day early. 🤣
Glad you started it when you did!

I would be curious for some explanation on the 3 errors in the UC game? When scoring 12 runs is insufficient, it requires some examination as to pitching and fielding ....... unfortunate to waste such an impressive hitting performance.

Reactions: rh62531 and gocds
Sort of thought the defensive errors had been cleaned up.

Sort of thought the defensive errors had been cleaned up.
Clean baseball. We talk about it all the time.Base running, fielding and throwing strikes.
It's a huge part of the recipe for Championship Baseball.
Let's see if it progresses going forward into April.

Henry Davis with a home run in the fifth to give Louisville a 5-1 lead. Kirian with 10 strikeouts through 5, but his pitch count is getting elevated so I don’t think he’ll be in much longer.

Reactions: rh62531
Henry Davis with a home run in the fifth to give Louisville a 5-1 lead. Kirian with 10 strikeouts through 5, but his pitch count is getting elevated so I don’t think he’ll be in much longer.

Scary part is going to the bullpen. Oh my!

Pitch number 100 from Kirian is a two run home run to bring the Deacs within 2. Cards lead 5-3 with no outs in the 6th. Tate Kuehner warming up in the bullpen.

Kuehner and Elliott keep the Deacons scoreless in the last three in innings. Cards win 5-3.

Game 2 is set for tomorrow at 1 PM, Luke Seed will get the start as the Cards go for the series win.

Pitch number 100 from Kirian is a two run home run to bring the Deacs within 2. Cards lead 5-3 with no outs in the 6th. Tate Kuehner warming up in the bullpen.
We win and yet Kirian had to throw 117 pitches. 2nd time he has gone over 110 pitches. Hope he has an arm at the end of the season.

We win and yet Kirian had to throw 117 pitches. 2nd time he has gone over 110 pitches. Hope he has an arm at the end of the season.

Yeah and our fielding is getting a bunch of practice. 😂😎. Hopefully that will pay off down the road.😀

GO CARDS!!!

Can’t believe the bull pen is failing again. Luke Seed & company had done such a good job today thru the 7th.

Reactions: Deeva
Weil we won but other than that . . . . Not so much. Yeah our starter (Seed) was very good and we have won the series 2 games to 0, 9-7 but . . . .

GO CARDS!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: rh62531 and Deeva
It all started with Phillips. I thought Tulio made some decent pitches,but was just off in that tight zone. It was a fairly big hole that had been dug.
Once again though, this team strikes late, probably against their best closer.

Reactions: PHCARD
It all started with Phillips. I thought Tulio made some decent pitches,but was just off in that tight zone. It was a fairly big hole that had been dug.
Once again though, this team strikes late, probably against their best closer.

Earsky, are you on the outside looking on for some of the home games? On the roof somewhere? 😀 Heck I can’t wait to watch them on a big screen tomorrow. 📵

Earsky, are you on the outside looking on for some of the home games? On the roof somewhere? 😀 Heck I can’t wait to watch them on a big screen tomorrow. 📵
I've been on the inside for the last two. Someone from Cards' baseball site gave me 2 Friday.
I ran into Elliott's Dad today and was prepared to sit down at the corner drinking cheap beer, but he gave me 2 so we went inside again. Adam has been around 5 years so I've known his Dad from going out to the park.

Last edited:
Reactions: rh62531 and PHCARD
I've been on the inside for the last two. Someone from Cards' baseball site gave me 2 Friday.
I ran into Elliott's Dad today and was prepared to sit down at the corner drinking cheap beer, but he gave me 2 so we went inside again. Adam has been around 5 years so I've known his Dad from going out to the park.

Did you by chance sit in Section 209 close to where the player’s families used to all sit before they moved them a couple years ago?

Did you by chance sit in Section 209 close to where the player’s families used to all sit before they moved them a couple years ago?
No, I was usually down the right field line. Elliott's Dad could usually be found standing at the fence near the bullpen.

Luke throwing that breaking ball for strikes today. Good guess on that HR by Wake player.
It should be 1-1.

Cards looked a bit satisfied going into today's game. They were not focused at the plate and looked to be going through the motions. They're letting this pitcher with average stuff shut them out. The guy has two pitches and neither one are MLB bound.

It's just one of those let down games after taking the series. I would have thought they were past that.

Cards looked a bit satisfied going into today's game. They were not focused at the plate and looked to be going through the motions. They're letting this pitcher with average stuff shut them out. The guy has two pitches and neither one are MLB bound.

It's just one of those let down games after taking the series. I would have thought they were past that.
He’s a pitcher they haven’t faced before. True frosh making all the right throws. He pitched a good game.

Reactions: nccardfan

Respectfully disagree. I'm out here behind the plate watching the game. He's been lights out with location. He had our hitters off balance all day. Throwing 94 in the 7th? He was outstanding.

Reactions: Deeva
Some of the best pitching from an opponent as I have seen in a while. In addition to having consistent velocity even in the latter innings, location and control shows the importance of a pitcher getting ahead in the count and being able to stay in the strike zone.

Reactions: Bardman and gocds
He’s a pitcher they haven’t faced before. True frosh making all the right throws. He pitched a good game.
Although he had the highest era of their starting pitchers, he was consistently at 91-93 and sometimes 94. He hit his spots. He did pitch a good game . Don’t think we had a hit between the 3rd and 7th inning. One of our hits in the first inning should have been ruled an error. LF just dropped it.

Although he had the highest era of their starting pitchers, he was consistently at 91-93 and sometimes 94. He hit his spots. He did pitch a good game . Don’t think we had a hit between the 3rd and 7th inning. One of our hits in the first inning should have been ruled an error. LF just dropped it.
It likely would have been an entirely different game had the Cards plated a run or two in the first. He got out of the jam, and his confidence grew.

We had 3 hits before the 8th inning. Two of them were dropped balls in the outfield. I will say one of them was a legitimate hit because the outfielder dove. The other hit was a bunt single put down by Knap. You tip your hat to their pitcher. It was his day.

It was not our day. The hard hit balls they had in the middle of the game got through and the hard hit balls we had in the late part of the game were right at people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT