ADVERTISEMENT

CARDS vs Duke series

Anyone hear anything about making Saturday a DH due to the rain on Sunday?

You just can't win enough with subpar pitching. Cards staff have no idea who their top 3 pitchers really are.

That's a recipe for early departure.

Well, once again our coaches leave a pitcher in too long. Man, this is like a broken record. Lots of pop-ups from our hitters. This Dook pitcher is average.

Reactions: rh62531
Why in the holy hell is Kirian still on the mound? Totally ridiculous. All the statss (and the results) say he should be in. Plus, i dont care if we do get out of the inning w/o giving up runs. Just doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: earsky
I really thought these guys were going to hold on for top 16 seed. I am not seeing it now. To be honest - I am not loving the coaching decisions or the focus of this team.

We knew pitching was going to be an issue. It has been.

Sloppy defensively

Offensively, wildly inconsistent from the entire lineup except Davis. Way too many guys trying to hit homeruns. They let a guy tonight with a era of 6 dominate them.

They have played everybody especially in their pitching staff. They all have struggled.

He has tried everyone in the field. I am not sure who else he could give a shot. I think they are way over rated.

They have played everybody especially in their pitching staff. They are all have struggled.

He has tried everyone in the field. I am not sure who else he could give a shot. I think they are way over rated.

They have played everybody especially in their pitching staff. They are all have struggled.

Yeah,but that's not the point. There are plenty of guys sitting that haven't swung it 5 times all year.
You sit people to shake em up.
There are guys that don't have the focus you need to help the TEAM.

I won’t be surprised if they don’t make the tournament. Their RPI is not good.

Lost last 4 ACC games 3 of which where complete blowouts against average teams.

Partly why I feel the way I feel is the game I witnessed in person on Tuesday night.
They obviously came to play on Tuesday but put that between last weekend and tonight and I'm not convinced they come to play like they should all the time.

This pitching staff is not good at all. Maybe the worst they have had in their time here. They can’t throw strikes and when they do balls are blistered. That tells me their stuff is average at best.

They have to score 5-8 runs to win games. Just not going to happen consistently against good arms.

Down years are going to happen.

I got BLASTED early in the season when I suggested Binelas sit for a game and just watch. I agree with those who suggest a couple of guys need to sit - not for days - bit maybe a game. Where is Metzinger - is he hurt? I guesS Albanese and Prosecky are hurt. In the primary lineup - can we fine a DH who will hit the damn ball? Get Borden (or anyone) in there. Rushing has gone silent, Masterman seems to just swing for the fences... very frustrating.

Reactions: earsky and rh62531
I got BLASTED early in the season when I suggested Binelas sit for a game and just watch. I agree with those who suggest a couple of guys need to sit - not for days - bit maybe a game. Where is Metzinger - is he hurt? I guesS Albanese and Prosecky are hurt. In the primary lineup - can we fine a DH who will hit the damn ball? Get Borden (or anyone) in there. Rushing has gone silent, Masterman seems to just swing for the fences...

Prosecky played tonight. WOW! Not much you can say. Our pitching was not good to say the least. We only had one error but that was committed late after the game was decided so our defense didn’t cost us this game. Their starting pitcher was very good tonight. I won’t take anything away from Duke as they were the far better team tonight. DH is a very real problem and someone else needs to step up. Yes, Binelas did hit a late homerun, but I’d like to see him sit a game. Maybe he should do DH duties. Maybe we’ll do better tomorrow, at least I certainly hope so.

GO CARDS!!!

I won’t take anything away from Duke as they were the far better team tonight.
Yes,they were. No doubt about it.
Were we due a letdown? Of course,but we're in the stretch run of the season and the mental approach looked a lot like last Friday
I'm not ready to concede the season because their are still 8 regular season games left. Anything can happen imo because I saw a team Tuesday night that looked championship caliber.
They did because they can play and they were mentally ready.

Reactions: gocds
After the 3-run HR off of Seamus I bailed (gotta admit) so I didn’t see who else pitched, etc. Good that Prosecky did pitch; earlier in the game I saw him in the dugout and not out in the pen; I assumed he was not available. I am not suggesting Alex sit - he, overall, has been hitting well and his D was great tonight. RF, 3B and DH are struggling (at the plate).

At least the attendance increased. 🤦‍♂️I’ll say again, misguided focus. Team looked like crap.

Reactions: Bardman
No single explanation will account for the performance of this team, so I will avoid the one obvious issue that we have with our pitching, something we have not experienced with UL baseball in a long while.

Rushing hitting 250 as our DH in front of a 220 Usher in the lineup is a major problem offensively. It was in full evidence last night in the 2nd inning, and again in the 6th, (bases loaded strike out), when Rushing fails to advance the runners in scoring position.

Opponents have DH that are most productive, and in too many instances we have lost opportunities to remain competitive when falling behind early. No one is going to make up 7, 8 or 9 runs in the 8th or 9th inning; however we had a great chance to close the 3-0 gap in the 2nd inning with runners on 1st and 2nd with only 1 out. Usher and Rushing, not unexpectedly, failed to deliver anything. A walk, a base hit was all that was required; instead strike out and a pop-up to end any threat.

I would like to see Usher leading off, and bunting his way on with that speed, and there must be some other option to Rushing as DH???

Reactions: rh62531 and gocds
That was very difficult to watch. Duke is not a good club losing record ACC / and outside the conference as well. Guess we will see what happens at 1pm.

This is the lineup I would like to see.

1. Brown
2. Bowman
3. Davis
4. Binelas
5. Rushing/Masterman PLATOON
6. Leonard
7. Dunn
8. Knapchek
9. Usher

Starting pitchers

1. Seed
2. Kirian
3. Lohman

Give Smith the closers job. He could give everything he has for an inning or two. He certainly has the attitude of a closer.

Reactions: gocds and Deeva
Well, our key batters have already not delivered in game 2 with the bases juiced. Dunn is struggling mightily. Masterman is just...IDK, shouldn’t be in the lineup right now. Just seems like many of our guys are taking monster cuts at the plate vs looking for god, solid contact. Then we have several guys who cannot get bunts down - that’s an issue too.

Well, our key batters have already not delivered in game 2 with the bases juiced. Dunn is struggling mightily. Masterman is just...IDK, shouldn’t be in the lineup right now. Just seems like many of our guys are taking monster cuts at the plate vs looking for god, solid contact. Then we have several guys who cannot get bunts down - that’s an issue too.

Bard, don’t you love it when your team makes you eat your words? 😀

Bard, don’t you love it when your team makes you eat your words? 😀
I don’t mind when guys get it done. Fact is Usher and Dunn have been struggling at the plate (based on expectations). Usher seems to be close to getting hot. Lucas had a great HR tonight; he is still not where he probably should be. Fact is se are getting guys on base and we are not consistently getting clutch hitting. I don’t think anyone can disagree. I still think many guys are swinging for the fences. Binelas’ best hit, IMO, was the little flare to left field late in the game. He went with the pitch and produced a great hit - just what was needed at that time.

Reactions: earsky
I don't mind seeing guys struggle as long as they are bringing 100 to the park physically and mentally to achieve team goals.
Coach Mac's description post game last night of Usher fit that to a tee. Can't help but be happy for guys like him and Dunn after breakout type games.
I agree with Realville about Luke moving into that middle relief/closer spot and Lohman taking over Sunday.
Starting pitching is my numero uno concern today.

Reactions: PHCARD and Deeva
Did anyone else think Smith partly was pulled because of his reaction to the last pitch on that full count, called ball and was very questionable? Luke came off the mound and jumped up in the air 2-3 times and it looked like he was mouthing something.

I don’t think most people really understand how tough hitting can be at this level. The struggles don’t surprise me. Their approach does. This group isn’t very good, way too often, shortening their swings and putting the ball in play. Way to many strikeouts and fly balls in key spots.

They are capable of really be good offensively but man they have days where average pitchers make them look very average. Which should never happen if they are mentally into that game. The issue is they have had several games where they were controlled by a average pitcher.

Reactions: Bardman and earsky
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT