ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari to UCLA

In 10 years........

7 EE
4 FF
1 runner up
1 title.

Yeah I think we want him.
You need to have this conversation with the 40% or so of big hillbilly nation that have grown tired of the constant player churn, de-emphasis on program goals vs getting kids to the league and, underachievement. They sing a different song than you do.

Reactions: Cue Card and earsky
You need to have this conversation with the 40% or so of big hillbilly nation that have grown tired of the constant player churn, de-emphasis on program goals vs getting kids to the league and, underachievement. They sing a different song than you do.
I don’t care. I speak for myself and if I can’t have a logical conversation with someone then I won’t try. Anyone who says we should dump Cal isn’t smart enough to devote my time to.

On a scale of 1 thru 10. My level of concern about the possibility of John Calipari leaving UK for UCLA. ZERO. AIN'T HAPPENING

Hopefully he'll stay forever. When the one and done rule is eliminated, you along with the rest of the big blew holler dwellers will wish you had Tubby Smith back.

Hopefully he'll stay forever. When the one and done rule is eliminated, you along with the rest of the big blew holler dwellers will wish you had Tubby Smith back.
The end of the OAD will be a boon for Cal. Your happiness will be short lived.

You do realize that the “end of OAD” doesn’t mean that kids can’t turn pro after one year - right?
Sure but it will be a bit like being recruited over. I imagine 20 or so kids will go straight to the NBA every year and then another 15-20 in the draft will be foreign players That wont leave very many spots for kids coming out of college. Only the best will make it.

Sure but it will be a bit like being recruited over. I imagine 20 or so kids will go straight to the NBA every year and then another 15-20 in the draft will be foreign players That wont leave very many spots for kids coming out of college. Only the best will make it.
Given that there are 60 draft spots - in your model that leaves between 20 & 30 draft spots for kids coming out of college. Since the OAD began in 2006 - interestingly there have been 131 OAD kids and 131 foreign players drafted. That means that 518 non-OAD college players have been picked during that time. Since 2006 - 55 of those 131 OADs were picked in the lottery. Only 9 have become all-stars.

Regardless, I'm not sure how that helps cow. He still is catering to the kids that think they're going to be in college one year then on to the draft. He's built the entire yut program on selling that dream. He's going to suddenly change and start telling kids that they need to stay 2, 3 even 4 years? I don't see it.

Given that there are 60 draft spots - in your model that leaves between 20 & 30 draft spots for kids coming out of college. Since the OAD began in 2006 - interestingly there have been 131 OAD kids and 131 foreign players drafted. That means that 518 non-OAD college players have been picked during that time. Since 2006 - 55 of those 131 OADs were picked in the lottery. Only 9 have become all-stars.

Regardless, I'm not sure how that helps cow. He still is catering to the kids that think they're going to be in college one year then on to the draft. He's built the entire yut program on selling that dream. He's going to suddenly change and start telling kids that they need to stay 2, 3 even 4 years? I don't see it.
He's going to tell them the same thing he tells them now. He's going to get them to the NBA as quickly as possible. The kids ranked 20+ aren't nearly as likely to expect OAD.

Reactions: buc puppet
He's going to tell them the same thing he tells them now. He's going to get them to the NBA as quickly as possible. The kids ranked 20+ aren't nearly as likely to expect OAD.
That was kind of my point - cow will keep selling the same thing he is selling now. Two quick other points.

1. Those 20+ kids that you reference are absolutely going to still be considering themselves OADs - given that most of them (except for some common sense) will think that they should have declared out of HS. They'll be chomping at the bit to declare after their first year and since cow is all about having a "players first" program - things won't change in lexington much - if at all.

2. The yut fan base isn't going to like not being in the running for players that won't consider themselves OADs - the players 60+. That will drive them even crazier. Good thing I guess that cow has completely reversed his stance on grad transfers - which like most of his stances - was completely hypocritical and self-serving.

Looks like Jamie Dixon of TCU and formerly Pittsburgh is rumored as next UCLA coach.

LOL.

UCLA is college basketball royalty, and I would have been disappointed if Louisville had hired Jamie Dixon. This is just more evidence of how well the program did by hiring Chris Mack.

Now, whoever hires away Chris Beard - that won't be a homerun - that will be a grand slam in Game 7 of the World Series! He is doing at Texas Tech what I thought Shaka Smart would be doing at Texas (I still believe Shaka's a great coach, just the wrong place for him).

I don’t care. I speak for myself and if I can’t have a logical conversation with someone then I won’t try. Anyone who says we should dump Cal isn’t smart enough to devote my time to.
You speak for yourself, so why did you use the word we?

Reactions: Cue Card
You speak for yourself, so why did you use the word we?
It’s because I personally do not employ John Calipari. The university does. I’m a fan of the wildcats. Fans often use “we” when discussing their favorite sports teams. In the future I will try and substitute “UK” for “we”.

If you mean we were significantly better with him, yes we were but that was a very average team at best.

A lot of McD AA on that team to be average.

Maybe the coach was/is average. Maybe that's always the problem.

The end of the OAD will be a boon for Cal. Your happiness will be short lived.

Just like it was when he was at Memphis BEFORE 2006.

It was like 3 NITS in 5 years.

Nah, fat boobs will just be back where he belongs. Mediocrity.

Just like it was when he was at Memphis BEFORE 2006.

It was like 3 NITS in 5 years.

Nah, fat boobs will just be back where he belongs. Mediocrity.
That's an interesting framing of stats. Cal took over Memphis for the '01 season. It took him until the '03 season to get Memphis to the NCAA tournament. Then he only missed the tournament 1 more time during his time there.

That's an interesting framing of stats. Cal took over Memphis for the '01 season. It took him until the '03 season to get Memphis to the NCAA tournament. Then he only missed the tournament 1 more time during his time there.
Stats can be manipulated to bolster ones stance, or to retort ones stance.

For instance: You make the claim it took him until 03 to get Memphis State to the NCAA, and yes that is true. He also had 3 NIT appearances in 9 years there. See how that works?

Here's another. He averaged 23 wins before the 2006 One and Done rule was put in effect, then over 34 wins a season with the One and Done and William Wesley by his side at Memphis. Things that make you go Uhhh?

Stats can be manipulated to bolster ones stance, or to retort ones stance.

For instance: You make the claim it took him until 03 to get Memphis State to the NCAA, and yes that is true. He also had 3 NIT appearances in 9 years there. See how that works?

Here's another. He averaged 23 wins before the 2006 One and Done rule was put in effect, then over 34 wins a season with the One and Done and William Wesley by his side at Memphis. Things that make you go Uhhh?
Yes, I certainly do but Memphis had a losing record the year before Cal came in. It took him a couple years to right the ship, which is normal. That was my point. Once he righted the ship, he only missed the tournament once in 7 years, thats pretty good.

What could be interesting is seeing what type of roster UK has the very first year the OAD gets removed. Keep in mind the NCAA is mulling over adjusting the 5th year Grad transfer rule.

The cupboard could/figures to be bare. Calipari could be truly excited about having an opportunity to prove doubters wrong. Or, he could develop a desire to retire. I mean who really knows what he's REALLY thinking about all this.

To be fair, he has shown coaching chops in some instances. He's just gotten extremely lazy, or egotistical, or both, in recent years...and his teams are coming up short in recent years.

What year is the change allegedly going into motion?

Boobs was a middle of the pack coach in a mediocre conference. That all changed when the age rule was changed.

What could be interesting is seeing what type of roster UK has the very first year the OAD gets removed. Keep in mind the NCAA is mulling over adjusting the 5th year Grad transfer rule.

The cupboard could/figures to be bare. Calipari could be truly excited about having an opportunity to prove doubters wrong. Or, he could develop a desire to retire. I mean who really knows what he's REALLY thinking about all this.

To be fair, he has shown coaching chops in some instances. He's just gotten extremely lazy, or egotistical, or both, in recent years...and his teams are coming up short in recent years.

What year is the change allegedly going into motion?
I'm not sure the date is set yet. I was thinking it was '22 or '23. Cal won't care about the grad transfer change, he suggested it in an interview on ESPN in '16. We never use all our scholarships anyway so it wouldn't change much for us, if the grad transfer rule does change.

Boobs was a middle of the pack coach in a mediocre conference. That all changed when the age rule was changed.
One would think you wouldn't make fun of the conference you were in at the time when Memphis won the conference titles under Cal and before the OAD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT