ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm

Aug 7, 2022
He better figure out how to call plays against a blitzing team who is preventing his QB from having time to throw the ball downfield. Also they stuffed the run with said blitz. This is the recipe the rest of our opponents will use and why not?

He better figure out how to call plays against a blitzing team who is preventing his QB from having time to throw the ball downfield. Also they stuffed the run with said blitz. This is the recipe the rest of our opponents will use and why not?
Do we still win in those scenarios? I mean, like we did tonight?

Reactions: UKCoachesGraveyard
They did a really good job mixing their blitz vs dropping in coverage. Plummer struggled reading it but we have to limit the playaction in those situations as well. Run game was really bad.

They did a really good job mixing their blitz vs dropping in coverage. Plummer struggled reading it but we have to limit the playaction in those situations as well. Run game was really bad.
I know what happened. Fixing it is the concern. How does one team get so much pressure and stuffs the run too?

Last edited:

I’ll be damned Vince Lombardi has resurrected himself and come on this message board! Hopefully Brohm listens to Mr Lombardi and figures this out.

Reactions: CardFan and BPGhost
Plummer just has to get better at knowing who's coming and what his outs are. I actually think he evolved later in the game(the pick in the end zone withstanding).
I'm sure people will come after him relentlessly now...and I'm guessing CB works on just that this week.

This is definitely a learning experience for the Cards in preparation for the ND game. The running game wasn't very creative tonight. I expected more misdirection running plays but they never came.

Plummer's poor performance is what stands out to me. He simply panicked and was playing not to fail instead of playing to win. The running game would have been more effective had Plummer made those throws early in the game.

It's good though that we get this lesson in a road win and not a loss. The defense shined tonight, looking a whole lot like last season.

It's coming together and it's a good thing we haven't gelled quite yet. If and when Plummer finds that consistency, this can be a complete team come November.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
This is definitely a learning experience for the Cards in preparation for the ND game. The running game wasn't very creative tonight. I expected more misdirection running plays but they never came.

Plummer's poor performance is what stands out to me. He simply panicked and was playing not to fail instead of playing to win. The running game would have been more effective had Plummer made those throws early in the game.

It's good though that we get this lesson in a road win and not a loss. The defense shined tonight, looking a whole lot like last season.

It's coming together and it's a good thing we haven't gelled quite yet. If and when Plummer finds that consistency, this can be a complete team come November.
Your first paragraph! Where were the jet sweeps, reverse, outside runs, running back flares? All things that burn blitzing linebackers.

Reactions: SpotHogCard
...It's good though that we get this lesson in a road win and not a loss.

It's coming together and it's a good thing we haven't gelled quite yet....
On the best teams, when one area struggles, another area picks them up. The defense definitely picked up the offense tonight.

Some people enjoy looking at a situation from multiple perspectives. Some might argue that's the best way to analyze that situation. And why would you try to deprive a person of that?
Having played football at the collegiate level I take the advice of most coaches - enjoy the win tonight and then we get back to work tomorrow.

Reactions: BPGhost
I think we take things away from each game that will serve us well as we move forward. I think this coaching staff has show the ability to change and adapt. Trust the Brohm!!

Some people enjoy looking at a situation from multiple perspectives. Some might argue that's the best way to analyze that situation. And why would you try to deprive a person of that?
Evidently critique isn’t allowed after a win. If Brohm doesn’t learn how to offense the blitz there will be plenty of opportunities for it.

Dude, it's up to the QB to see the coming and change the protection and the play. Everybody in America saw a couple of those blitz's coming except Plummer.

Reactions: earsky
Dude, it's up to the QB to see the coming and change the protection and the play. Everybody in America saw a couple of those blitz's coming except Plummer.
A couple? The linebackers blitz nearly every play. You do know they have 3 right? The same defense we ran last season.

Brohm said after the game they were bringing more guys than the cards could block. He said he should have made some changes. He was not real clear on what change needed to be made but I think keeping a TE in to help or having Guerrendo(said they needed to get bigger) in the game to help pass block was what he meant.

I think its good we had to deal with this last night because after watching the ND/OS game last week I think ND would have attacked us in a similar fashion anyway. So at least now we have a week to practice a solution.

They kept a back in most plays but it didn’t make any difference. Could have ate their lunch with a running back flare pass just like the NFL does on blitz. Jet sweep with Thrash, quick hitting runs were two simple seam blocks are required, TE dive pass in the area of vacated linebackers, ANY drag pass route in vacated linebacker area. Geez

Brohm said after the game they were bringing more guys than the cards could block. He said he should have made some changes. He was not real clear on what change needed to be made but I think keeping a TE in to help or having Guerrendo(said they needed to get bigger) in the game to help pass block was what he meant.

I think its good we had to deal with this last night because after watching the ND/OS game last week I think ND would have attacked us in a similar fashion anyway. So at least now we have a week to practice a solution.
Watch it! You're slipping down that fanboy slope... 😆

NCST has the very best DC in the ACC, if not the country. They have a lot of speed and talent, but the defensive schemes were so well prepared, their were many instances where the DL, and LBs were moving laterally in unison, and so close to one another, that by the time Jordan reached the LOS …… there was no seam.

Brohm and staff will need to figure out a way to disguise the same running plays off tackle, or add some mis-direction. Take a look at the rerun, and you will get some idea as to just how disciplined the NCST defense reacted to almost every single running play …..pretty impressive.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
NCST has the very best DC in the ACC, if not the country. They have a lot of speed and talent, but the defensive schemes were so well prepared, their were many instances where the DL, and LBs were moving laterally in unison, and so close to one another, that by the time Jordan reached the LOS …… there was no seam.

Brohm and staff will need to figure out a way to disguise the same running plays off tackle, or add some mis-direction. Take a look at the rerun, and you will get some idea as to just how disciplined the NCST defense reacted to almost every single running play …..pretty impressive.

Is that why ND scored 45 on them, and 14 on Ohio State? 😂

They kept a back in most plays but it didn’t make any difference. Could have ate their lunch with a running back flare pass just like the NFL does on blitz. Jet sweep with Thrash, quick hitting runs were two simple seam blocks are required, TE dive pass in the area of vacated linebackers, ANY drag pass route in vacated linebacker area. Geez
This ^^^

Reactions: RealStateBird
I love Brohm and have been wanting him back at Louisville for years but these people are in for a rude awakening I’m afraid. Hope not
A rude awakening is what exactly? A loss?

And here I am thinking that Brohm was going to go undefeated for the next 15 years. If that’s not going to happen, might as well shut it down now.

At least then you and the ole zipper might be happy.

A rude awakening is what exactly? A loss?

And here I am thinking that Brohm was going to go undefeated for the next 15 years. If that’s not going to happen, might as well shut it down now.

At least then you and the ole zipper might be happy.
I would define it as multiple losses

I would define it as multiple losses
For historical perspective, the program has had multiple losses in roughly 75 of the last 80 seasons.

UofL fans don’t expect to go undefeated. Moreover, they realize that this is Brohm’s first year back and, with this team. Just happy to have some stability in the HC position for a change.

Reactions: Art79
Things could be worse,,,

12008194.png

Reactions: rentalman
You didn't answer my question.

And this is a message board. I didn't know that posters needed prior playing or coaching experience to be able to post. Did you ask for @RealStateBird 's credentials?...

Post away Negative Nancy’s. You and your friend clearly have an unusual fandom. Anyways, I’d suggest some positivity and that enjoying the moment is a good thing. Perhaps your friend did play in college but I’d doubt it because anyone who has played learned along the way to celebrate positive moments. Football is hard damn game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT