ADVERTISEMENT

BC

Bardman

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Nice start today. Good contact hitting taking the ball to right field and up the middle. Humphrey and McCoy sitting. Farone not keeping the book so I wonder if he isn’t starting Friday??

The guys who were in the bench - Humphrey and McCoy bug mistakes. Tate - just not getting it done

Reactions: rh62531
Tate - just not getting it done
This is why I raised the question. He's the closer,almost by default. He's not handling it well...eerily like Miller. I do agree however that somebody else would have to really step up for there to be a change.

Reactions: Bardman
We don't have a closer. We have a closer by committee. I think the best closer would be Farone, but I can understand why McDonnell wants to keep him as a starter.

Reactions: Bardman
I only caught the radio portion driving home, but it sounded like Tate was victimized by at least 2, if not 4 errors. No question about the error on the dropped infield fly rule, and should have been one of Humphries throw from right field. There was the infield grounder that hit the heal of the glove before going into centerfield, and lastly it sounded like the one fly ball to left could have been caught ……is that what anyone saw for themselves?

I know the one walk and the hit by pitch are on Tate, but that followed errors and may have affected what appeared as his control of the strike zone.

I cannot,as I had left to get to the store before going home. Didn't know about the mishaps. I walked in the store right before it all happened.

I only caught the radio portion driving home, but it sounded like Tate was victimized by at least 2, if not 4 errors. No question about the error on the dropped infield fly rule, and should have been one of Humphries throw from right field. There was the infield grounder that hit the heal of the glove before going into centerfield, and lastly it sounded like the one fly ball to left could have been caught ……is that what anyone saw for themselves?

I know the one walk and the hit by pitch are on Tate, but that followed errors and may have affected what appeared as his control of the strike zone.
All you said is accurate. It was bad baseball in the 9th. The Cards were feeling the pressure. Unlike them.

CardX and Earsky: appreciate the responses guys! Normally I would have been at the park for a weekday game. Amazingly I was getting into my car when the top of the ninth was about to begin as Sean Moth was heaping praise on Hawk. Tate apparently was dialed in with 93 mph fast balls to the first few batters when Moth acknowledged the sequence of events where ”routine plays” were botched one after another.

Reactions: earsky
The Cards were feeling the pressure. Unlike them.
Yes,they played so well up to that point,other than stranding a few guys on base. They'd been dialed in all night. They're pretty good when they are.

Let's dissect Tate's 9th inning before shoveling dirt on him.
  • K
  • Single on a 2-2 pitch wasn't very hard hit and would have been an outstanding play for Kilen to make
  • Double on a 1-2 pitch hit well, tailed away from King and dropped; my guess is King catches that ball 7/10 times and would tell you he should have caught it; 1-2 pitches getting hit hard is a concern
  • HBP
  • Infield Fly error on McCoy to allow runner on 3B to score and runner on 2B to move to 3B; I'd like to see Kilen be more decisive there and call a corner IF off that ball the way Knap does; he's a FR and will grow into that; without the E it's bases loaded w/ 2 outs and 6-1
  • Single on a 0-2 pitch; just cannot let that happen; Humphrey throws the ball to the moon and instead of it being 1st & 3rd w/ 2 outs at 6-3, it's runner on 2B w/ 2 outs & 6-4
  • BB after going 3-0; inexcusable to put tying run on base; make 'em earn it
  • 1-3 to end game; subtle thing but after NC St. debacle Payton waved Tate off and took it himself as he also has a better throwing lane to 1B
Not great by any means, but not as much on Tate as it might seem.

Love Kuehner. I just feel like he's definitely taking one for the team here. I'm not worried at all about his abilities. I'm more concerned he's not completely embraced it.

Nice start today. Good contact hitting taking the ball to right field and up the middle. Humphrey and McCoy sitting. Farone not keeping the book so I wonder if he isn’t starting Friday??
Hawks' strike to ball ratio (~70%/30%) was off the charts. Really filled up the zone. McD said postgame he was trying to mix in 3rd & 4th pitches (slider & changeup?) for the 3rd & 4th time through the roster. I'm pretty confident that after the 6th he would have been pulled quickly if he got in any trouble but he retired 12 in a row after a leadoff 5th inning single.

Kinda surprised we didn't see Webster in the 9th up 6-1. Maybe Dan's gonna go bullpen day today? I'd love to see it to keep the BC hitters off balance. Some combination of Webster, Phillips, Farone & maybe even Campbell from the L side & Koger, Biven, and maybe even Galvan, Corbett or Grundy from the R side.? No BC batter gets to see the same P 2x. Since it's a bullpen day, if 1 of them doesn't have it, quick hook and they can potentially pitch tomorrow.

Reactions: earsky and Bardman
Anyone want 2 tickets for tonight's game against BC? I can't make it down there.

I agree Tate wasn’t bad; yet, was he good? IDK.
I think the only two plays (errors) were the throw from Isaac (just ill-advised) and the missed pop-up (that was terrible). They both were costly and both committed by regular starters who came into the game late. In the end, it was a win.
Said it before - I was really hoping to see more Anderson - he needs more at bats. Cook should split time with McCoy (every Ryan swing is a home-run swing). Early on he drove the ball, not so much recently. Not sure what to do with the OF. Forbes is not an outfielder. He is athletic enough to play out there for sure andnDannwants his bat in the lineup- I get it. Isaac just isn’t hitting the ball right now. I would bring him in for defensive purposes and/or let him pinch hit. If he starts hitting get him back out there.

Text the password McD to the following mobile # Humphrey+Lohman+0+Grundy+0 and I'll transfer the tickets to you.
😅😅
I know I'm not very tech savvy but my phone is not allowing this to happen. Can you simplify for me/phone please?

Humphrey's throw was an attempt to show why he should stay in the lineup. He knows his defense can keep him in while he struggles offensively, but he tried too hard and made a terrible throw. He's definitely pressing a bit.

Humphrey's throw was an attempt to show why he should stay in the lineup. He knows his defense can keep him in while he struggles offensively, but he tried too hard and made a terrible throw. He's definitely pressing a bit.
100%. I get it. If I were in his shoes I very well have attempted the throw myself. BUT, where is the communication? Fact is…the throw didn’t need to be attempted at that time.

Payton in LF tonight. CDM really wanting to keep all warm/hot bats in the lineup.

Well…
2 quick outs and then the wheels fall off. Next 8/9 pitches were called balls. Then a line drive HR over the CF wall. Lucky BC only scored 3. Sad part… we did not have someone throwing until right before the last batter got up. WTH?

Well…
2 quick outs and then the wheels fall off. Next 8/9 pitches were called balls. Then a line drive HR over the CF wall. Lucky BC only scored 3. Sad part… we did not have someone throwing until right before the last batter got up. WTH?
We will see a change next weekend on Saturday.

Got to expect Phillips back in the rotation as Saturday starter next week, with Farone coming off the bench as a setup reliever.

Amazing response after being down 8-1; Riley and Tate delivered and the momentum changed, as BC experienced the same strike zone that we got early on. Terrific come from behind win 9-8 …..now potential sweep tomorrow?

First series loss of the year for BC. Very nice to have the series win in hand against a top 10 team heading into Game 3!

Last edited:
Got home a while ago - still sky high. Wow, great game by the Cards. I think Tate wanted the ball and wanted to come out and be The Guy. Is he ‘The Guy’? IDK, but he looked locked in tonight. Riley looked very good as did Campbell. Farone - man, started Great and he just lost it. I’d like to see him as the mid-week guy or, as mentioned, a middle relief guy who could give you 3-5 innings. Let’s get that o tomorrow.

Great game and great seats. Best part…left the open football practice to catch baseball game. Midway in the game, Jeff and Oscar Brohm walks right past the wife and I and takes seats 4 seats away. Got to say “Thanks for coming back” to Jeff and “Hello Mr. Brohm” to Oscar Brohm. Funny part, after sitting there a few innings, a family of four shows up and Jeff and Oscar were sitting in their seats and had to move back a row. 🤣 I’m confident that family had no idea it was Jeff and Oscar Brohm they ran out of their seats.

• Haha
Just checking, but have we ever come from behind by that much in an ACC game before? Agree about Tate “wanting to finish it up”.

Sean Moth has been saying for a while this team appeared as being victimized by “bad luck offensively”, as getting really good contact, but right at the infielders or outfielders.

If we execute today and finish off BC, I think a series sweep could jettison this roster back on the trajectory that we had after returning from Houston.

Campbell looked pretty impressive. Freshman lefty hit 95mph once and was at 93 mph pretty consistently. Coach said in postgame that the key was to keep him at one inning (for now) and he really responded.

Reactions: Bardman and earsky
Just checking, but have we ever come from behind by that much in an ACC game before?
Not sure,but there were a couple of weird games against maybe NC when we were in a huge hole.
Campbell looked pretty impressive. Freshman lefty hit 95mph once and was at 93 mph pretty consistently. Coach said in postgame that the key was to keep him at one inning (for now) and he really responded.
Looking forward to the return of West,another Freshman lefty, who doesn't blow you away with heat, but has some nasty off speed stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT