ADVERTISEMENT

Battle of the Barrel

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
And so the rivalry resumes. A lot on the line for 2 teams seeking national seeds.
Should be a good one.

And so the rivalry resumes. A lot on the line for 2 teams seeking national seeds.
Should be a good one.

The Cards have had their number the last few years. 3 straight over the Dores, six wins over the last eight meetings. 10-24 against them over all, dating back to '71.

Reactions: Friedas_Boss
I think we will see a really good crowd. I've had several people tell me they are going that have not seen a home game this season.
Both teams will be juiced for this one.

Let’s see if our guys will be patient at the plate and just drove the ball. If they do I say they win. If the press too much and have poor plate discipline they will struggle. The pitching and defense is strong.

Let’s see if our guys will be patient at the plate and just drove the ball. If they do I say they win. If the press too much and have poor plate discipline they will struggle. The pitching and defense is strong.
Both scheduled pitchers, Perkins (3-0) and Hickman (6-0) don’t have a loss.. something will have to give! Go Cards!

Hopefully,Perkins will have his good stuff. The bullpen put in a lot of work over the weekend.

Hopefully,Perkins will have his good stuff. The bullpen put in a lot of work over the weekend.

Vandy is a super dangerous offensive team. If we can get 3 solid innings from Perkins, he'll have done his job well.

Well...I’m not a happy camper. Choke jobs tonight and why? Pinkham can’t catch a foul ball. Binellas cannot catch a foul ball (Fitz tried to make the catch but Alex should have caught it). Fitz’s Horrible throw to first early in the game. Yet, his throw home balances out the error. Snider at third. I have had issues with him for a while. I still believe he makes poor decisions either sending runners or holding them up. CDM - if a pitcher is throwing strikes why take him out? Garrett was getting the job done and you get cute due to lefty-righty matchups. Bad call. Wright, Lohan and Luke all choked. However, it’s one game and you move on. Just a missed opportunity to really make a play for a national seed and they wilted.

Yeah,we played tight. No room for that going forward. Hope the kids got something from it.

Reactions: Deeva
I don't want to overreact, but my initial thought is Louisville is a very good team. Very good. Vandy, this year, is noticeably better. They are solid all around. Louisville had one error, but mistakes were made. Binelas, and I hate to single him out, played like a freshman. He saw the pitches. He knew what was coming, and swung and missed anyway. He didn't have a great game. No Card did.

Oh, well. It's good to have these types of games late in the season. A precursor for the post season. On to UVA.

It was a tense and meaningful game between two very good teams. Both clearly wanted to win and I was a bit surprised that Vandy used its closer on a Tuesday night. It is interesting to note that in recent years the team that has lost this game has done better in the postseason. Hoping for a new trend here. If Vandy can’t win it all, then I am 100% behind the Cards. Play well and enjoy the ride.

Hickman pitched admirably for Vandy. He had that curve that he would mix in that really kept our hitters off balance,which is what it's all about.

Well...I’m not a happy camper. Choke jobs tonight and why? Pinkham can’t catch a foul ball. Binellas cannot catch a foul ball (Fitz tried to make the catch but Alex should have caught it). Fitz’s Horrible throw to first early in the game. Yet, his throw home balances out the error. Snider at third. I have had issues with him for a while. I still believe he makes poor decisions either sending runners or holding them up. CDM - if a pitcher is throwing strikes why take him out? Garrett was getting the job done and you get cute due to lefty-righty matchups. Bad call. Wright, Lohan and Luke all choked. However, it’s one game and you move on. Just a missed opportunity to really make a play for a national seed and they wilted.
It is what it is. It was a staring contest and we blinked. Several times. As the announcer said, both these teams are likely National seeds. If it was game 1 or a single elimination game, I would take Detmers and the Cards over anybody Vandy could throw against us. But as we know in baseball, it doesn’t always play out like that. We beat Vandy 3 straight. They decided to stop the streak. Now for Virginia! Go Cards!

Reactions: PHCARD and Deeva
Vandy has #1 RPI and based on remaining schedule and likely to remain in that position and be the top national seed. But, baseball is a high variance sport so any single game with the Cards is probably a coin flip. The odds of winning it all are probably in Vandy’s favor and I’d love to see these two teams face each other in the final series in Omaha. I like Louisville, too, but feel it has underperformed in post season. Hopefully that’ll change this year. Again, I love the Cards and wish them the best (almost).

Vandy has #1 RPI and based on remaining schedule and likely to remain in that position and be the top national seed. But, baseball is a high variance sport so any single game with the Cards is probably a coin flip. The odds of winning it all are probably in Vandy’s favor and I’d love to see these two teams face each other in the final series in Omaha. I like Louisville, too, but feel it has underperformed in post season. Hopefully that’ll change this year. Again, I love the Cards and wish them the best (almost).
I think you need to research your own history. Vandy made 12 postseason appearances before actually getting to the College World Series in 2011. They won it in their 2nd appearance in 2014 and was runnerup to Virginia in 2015. We are hopefully where Vandy was a few years back. It’s a great rivalry but don’t get too cocky over here...

Reactions: Deeva
I think,just from a pitching standpoint, there are 3 Freshmen that are not being redshirted,who will need to play big parts in the last 4-6 weeks of this season. If Bennett comes back strong(and there's no reason to think he won't) we have to feel good about those first three starters. Elliot has been solid,McAvene as well. The emergence of Albanese shores up the middle. Hoeing has shined in his return to the pen and Kirian may be the most improved.
Tbs,Perkins has to be that 4th guy. He pitched pretty good Tuesday,but struggled with the slider. Those other 2 Freshmen(and I was glad to see CM get them into that game) Wright and Schmeltz(another lefty sorely needed) will have to become guys that Coach Williams can rely on. They have burned their redshirts and need to be regular contributors. Schmeltz took a step in that direction Tuesday. Time for Kerry to do the same.

The great thing about this Louisville team is there are no sure fire MLB guys in the field in the Junior class. Fitz and Wyatt will get drafted but I don't think real high. The talent is young is Binelas, Davis, and Dunn are all legit hitters. The MLB talent is in the arms. The freshman pitchers are all over the place with their control that isn't changing in the next 4 weeks. As good as this team is next year they could be this year's Vandy.

Vandy is loaded with MLB guys. The outcome is not surprising. The missed fly ball was a killer. That game changed right there.

Louisville is really good, but Vandy is super.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT