ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball tourney

Doesn’t matter if you don’t have the off speed stuff to compliment the fast ball. Look at all the really good pitchers at Louisville all in the 92-95 range. The difference with all of them was their control and off speed stuff. McKay and Detmers put it where they wanted it. Outside corner check in on the hands check. Louisville guys couldn’t throw inside because they would end up hitting the batter or living it out over the plate.

Velocity isn’t the issue for Louisville it is 100% their inability to locate pitches and consistently throw off speed stuff for strikes. Hawks tanked when he lost his off speed control. By 2nd time through lineup they had him pegged. Consistently in the 92-94 range with his heater. They could sit fastball and be patient. Granted 96-100 is harder to square up but if a college hitter can just sit fastball they will turn that speed around as well.
My point about getting guys with more velocity is that we can assume analytics will change the college game as it has the professional sport. Starters no longer go complete games (some do) but no longer the majority. Starters go about 6 innings (if they can) and then they turn it over to the bullpen. Guys like the Stanford pitcher who went 156 pitches are outliers.

NLI has change college sports but the sport (out of the 3 major sports), baseball is likely to be impacted the most. Why? Because they offer the fewest scholarships per player of any sports. If you can supplement your team with NLI players, especially pitchers you can almost guarantee your team a measure of success.

Think about it, why have pitchers who throw 93-94 mph go through the lineup 3 times when you got a guy in the bullpen who can throw 97+? I use velocity and I agree that its not the end all We will start seeing more relief pitchers who can throw sliders, changeups, sweepers, etc. just because they offer a change of speed that's is difficult for hitters to adjust. My point is Roger needs to adjust his philosophy about starting pitchers being able to go 7-8 innings and throw 100+ pitchs.

That is the nature of the game. I don’t think their philosophy really changed. What changed is the didn’t have enough arms to pull guys and stuck with them longer than they wanted. The bull pen was the problem more than starters.

No idea if NIL has really changed the non revenue sports. I think you have a limited number of programs that flex their muscles but overall there probably isn’t a ton of money flowing into these programs for NIL. We have no clue what is actually happening.

My belief is the players make the coaches not the other way around. The truth is they have done a fantastic job getting dudes. Since Covid especially with pitching it hasn’t been very good. That is why they have missed 2 out of 3 tournaments. Not because of their overall philosophies.

I think they both throw everything but the sink kitchen and Wake scores late to get 4-3 W

SEC powerhouse LSU outlasts WF with an ACC transfer in Tommy White. I would be interested to learn if NIL influenced White to leave NCST; if so how much?

SEC powerhouse LSU outlasts WF with an ACC transfer in Tommy White. I would be interested to learn if NIL influenced White to leave NCST; if so how much?
Oh I have Zero doubts LSU bought him.

Reactions: earsky
Wake basically did everything right LSU players just made key plays to win it.

There is no doubt the SEC is going to get whomever they want on the upper end of the talent scale. They all have super fanbases and venues.

They have dominated college baseball. Not sure that is going to change.

Reactions: Bardman
There is an article out there. You have to have a paid subscription to read it but the title of it is how NLI money has already helped paid dividends for LSU pitching this year... If anyone wants to subscribe to it, I would like to know what it says. Sorry I'm a cheapskate...

Here is another article:

BATON ROUGE - There's likely no other sport where, if done right, the NIL deals can change the game more than college baseball.

"They only have 11.7 scholarships and I believe there's 41 players," said attorney Gordon McKernan. "So any help that they can get by picking up some NIL money certainly weighs in the benefit of being able to release part of their scholarship or all of their scholarship."

McKernan is continuing to set the pace locally with NIL deals for LSU athletes. He recently signed both Tre Morgan and Cade Doughty to sponsorship packages.

"Some of these players that have signed don't even have scholarships," McKernan said. "So anything we can do to attract more talent, top talent, that might need scholarship help, we certainly want to do that."

With those 11.7 scholarships having to be split amongst a whole roster of at least 27 players, it's easy to see where some players are forced to either walk on or take the guaranteed minimum of 25 percent of a scholarship. Now, with NIL, players don't have to stress over making a tough choice.

"It gives the players somewhat leverage, in a way, to maybe get more money," said sophomore infielder Cade Doughty. "Or, you know, have the opportunities that come around that you wouldn't have before NIL."

Had just texted my brother saying the Gators didn't look to be handling the moment too well. Just like that the momentum shifts. Could care less except I got 3-1 on my wager. Go Gators...I guess
😆

Reactions: Deeva
So much for LSU pitching; impressive witnessing the Gator hitting clinic. Regardless of who wins today, I believe UF is the best team in college baseball this year.

The 64 thousand dollar question is- does LSU pitch Skenes tonight on 4 days rest?
243 pitches in his last 2 starts ,the last being Thursday night and the MLB draft on the horizon- stay tuned

I would- as long as he feels okay. Let him go as long as he can go.

Money line for this game LSU (-148) indicates Skenes will most likely start this game.

I expect the UF bats to come alive before they finish 9 innings. UF is the home team tonight right?

It will take a herculean type performance by Florida tonight despite the lopsided win last night imo. The motivation the Tigers have after that debacle yesterday will probably push them towards the National Championship .
Can't wait to see who's gonna make the plays.

I don't think anyone expected that. I know I didn't. Kind of makes you wonder if the format is just too taxing on college pitchers. I still think that once teams get to Omaha, they should reseed 1-8.
Agree 100%.

So much for LSU pitching; impressive witnessing the Gator hitting clinic. Regardless of who wins today, I believe UF is the best team in college baseball this year.
I would go with Wake as the best overall by a hair over LSU. Florida came through the Winner's Bracket but didn't handle their obvious advantage well. UVA despite their two nail biter losses impressed me. Throw them in there with TCU and the Gators and it is a dog fight for 3-4-5. JMO

Quite a tournament.

WF bats went silent when it really counted. I still cannot get over the irony that LSU won the NC a on the back of an ACC a transfer. Tommy White made a huge difference in the tournament. The one statistic that stood out as much as anything, was the 600+% of hitting percentage for White whenever Crews was on base in front of him.

Tommy White is probably a rich young man already. I'm not sure how most teams in America can compete with the $$$ being thrown around by a few of these teams.
Oh well, good for him, I guess..

Reactions: Bardman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT