ADVERTISEMENT

And here all you UK fans thought it was just UofL fans who see it this way

One last thing, did I mention that our tiny little 2nd rate school has the best Athletic Director in college sports and the finest athletic facilities across the board in the nation?

I think Cue Card brings up a good point, and one I hadn't really thought much about. What exactly is the perception of Calipari outside of the UK-UofL area? I think we're starting to see from this article's author.

Cue Card, you should post the article in Rival's general basketball forum and see what non-UofL/UK fans have to say. I'm willing to go out on a limb and guess a lot of them are going to share the author's point of view.

Originally posted by Mike'sMarbles:
I think Cue Card brings up a good point, and one I hadn't really thought much about. What exactly is the perception of Calipari outside of the UK-UofL area? I think we're starting to see from this article's author.

Cue Card, you should post the article in Rival's general basketball forum and see what non-UofL/UK fans have to say. I'm willing to go out on a limb and guess a lot of them are going to share the author's point of view.
I would but I don't venture too far out on the information super highway. There are only a few places I like to visit and this board is one of them.

You are more than welcome to link the article to that site if you want. Again, my only real point in linking it here was to prove that it's not solely UofL fans who have that point of view about John Calipari. I know there are a bunch of people who love him and that's OK too but there are others out there not associated in any way with UofL who feel the same way about the man as most UofL fans do.

Here's what I know - there are four HOF coaches in the ACC, all with deep mutual respect for each other. None of them respect Calipari.

Link, AzCard?

I rarely see big time coaches go on record as saying they don't respect another coach, just curious how you would know this,unless they have all told you to your face that they all have deep respect for each other, but specifically they have no respect for Calipari.

I didn't read all the comments but I did read the piece, regrettably.

1) Mr. Shaughnessy is ill served by bringing up the 1996 selection show "snub." Either he's holding a really long grudge, which makes him lame, or that story didn't merit inclusion given the context of the piece, which makes him a shoddy writer. Either way, bad look. (I would also argue that Cal didn't/doesn't owe it to anyone to allow them into his home, team event or not. This wasn't a public press conference. Though I admit this view is very debatable).

2) I have no issue with folks' not liking Cal, and I've said as much on this board before. I can totally understand the opinions that many of you have of the guy vis a vis recruiting and prior university transgressions and all that. I fully acknowledge that I choose to take a more favorable view of the guy because he is Kentucky's coach (among other reasons). The Cosby thing, though, was pathetic. Set aside the fact that he compared a college bball coach he doesn't like to a man accused of dozens of violent sexual assaults. That he had to stoop to such a cheap shot, again, demonstrates that he's not a very strong writer (he also splits infinitives and apparently doesn't realize that gerunds are nouns, but that's another topic).

I'm not shocked that this piece is receiving acclaim here, but I think it's telling that national media figures (save Forde, of course), think it was terrible.

Originally posted by johnnyrockets:

I'm not shocked that this piece is receiving acclaim here, but I think it's telling that national media figures (save Forde, of course), think it was terrible.
I'm curious just which heralded national media figures thought that Shaughnessy's column criticizing Calipari and UMass was "terrible"? Some lint pickers from Boston radio stations? The local UKay slobberrers? Dick Vitale?

As far as Ukay fans being so offended about the Bill Cosby jab, get over yourself. It's not meant to be an actual comparison, in fact it's just the opposite, an obvious exaggeration used to make a point. And just like UKay fans love to say about Calipari, it has not been directly proven that Cosby has committed any wrongdoing up to this point. just accusations. He and the Squid are both innocent I'm sure, wink wink!

This post was edited on 3/12 6:16 PM by Louisvillian

Originally posted by Louisvillian:

I'm curious just which heralded national media figures thought that Shaughnessy's column criticizing Calipari and UMass was "terrible"? Some lint pickers from Boston radio stations? The local UKay slobberrers? Dick Vitale?

As far as Ukay fans being so offended about the Bill Cosby jab, get over yourself. It's not meant to be an actual comparison, in fact it's just the opposite, an obvious exaggeration used to make a point. And just like UKay fans love to say about Calipari, it has not been directly proven that Cosby has committed any wrongdoing up to this point. just accusations. He and the Squid are both innocent I'm sure, wink wink!

By the way your boy Bill Cosby will be performing this Sunday March 15 at the Singletary Center For The Arts in Lexington!
It'll probably be sold out too I might add.
laugh.r191677.gif

I too am really curious regarding all the national media figures crying foul over this 1 article which was written by a sports writer with over 30 years of on the job experience. Who exactly would that be johnnyrockets? Please enlighten us.

Originally posted by Cue Card:

By the way your boy Bill Cosby will be performing this Sunday March 15 at the Singletary Center For The Arts in Lexington!
It'll probably be sold out too I might add.
laugh.r191677.gif

I too am really curious regarding all the national media figures crying foul over this 1 article which was written by a sports writer with over 30 years of on the job experience. Who exactly would that be johnnyrockets? Please enlighten us.
Just noticed where UKay pulled the plug on the Cosby gig. So I had to edit. But hey, why the rush to judgment on Cosby by UK? Just like Cal, where's the proof?
wink.r191677.gif

Just noticed where UKay pulled the plug on the Cosby gig. So I had to edit. But hey, why the rush to judgment on Cosby by UK? Just like Cal, where's the proof?
wink.r191677.gif
UofK or Lexington? Anyway, it's a valid point. It's a double standard. Shocking. Absolutely shocking.

wink.r191677.gif
UofK or Lexington? Anyway, it's a valid point. It's a double standard. Shocking. Absolutely shocking.
Pretty sure it was UofKay because the event center is on campus and I too am shocked that they threw Heathcliffe Huxtable under the bus after being so loyal to other shady characters in the past.

Seth Davis

Andy Katz (warning: this is a link to House of Blue page, though I'm sure the video is available elsewhere)

The Big Lead

Those are the few I've seen. There may be others. I would consider Davis and Katz as two of the leading national college bball writers; you're free to disagree.

The point is still that, unpopular as this may be, you guys are in the distinct minority thinking that this article is anything other than an attention-grab. The Cosby thing doesn't hurt my feelings; it just shows that Shaughnessy is a weak writer. It's analogous to calling names one you run out of points to make in a debate. Sad, especially coming from what was a nationally prominent newspaper.

Seth Davis

Andy Katz (warning: this is a link to House of Blue page, though I'm sure the video is available elsewhere)

The Big Lead

Those are the few I've seen. There may be others. I would consider Davis and Katz as two of the leading national college bball writers; you're free to disagree.

The point is still that, unpopular as this may be, you guys are in the distinct minority thinking that this article is anything other than an attention-grab. The Cosby thing doesn't hurt my feelings; it just shows that Shaughnessy is a weak writer. It's analogous to calling names one you run out of points to make in a debate. Sad, especially coming from what was a nationally prominent newspaper.
That's it? You list Seth Davis who only stated that he was offended by the Cosby reference and as others posted on his twitter page that Davis refused to argue with any of the facts and opinions that Shaughnessy wrote about only that he didn't like the Cosby reference. In Boston there are people with thick enough skin to handle that unlike Seth Davis.

The Andy Katz video as you mentioned goes through a UKay homer page with a slanted UKay homer headline about the content of what he said. I'll have to listen later.

And finally the cream of the crop, the much heralded superstar sportswriter Ryan Glasspiegle! Wow, and from a site called the Big Lead. And all this glorified basement blogger had to say was that he too didn't like the Cosby reference. Once again, another person refusing to discuss the facts about Calipari and the opinion that it is a terrible idea for UMass to honor a guy who leaves a trail of toilet paper to every job he leaves.

Seth Davis

The Big Lead

Oh, I see. So there not really upset about the article per se, they're upset about the Cosby reference within the article. LOL. Got it. Just more hypocrisy.

Seth Davis

The Big Lead

Oh, I see. So there not really upset about the article per se, they're upset about the Cosby reference within the article. LOL. Got it. Just more hypocrisy.
I just watched the Andy Katz clip and the first thing you have to wonder is why would Katz be going on Paul Finebaum's show for 3 minutes to discuss an article in the Boston Globe about John Calipari. The answer comes out right away. It just so happens that ESPN is going to air an Andy Katz piece this Sunday on "Outside the Lines" about....you guessed it John Calipari!

Just amazing that Katz scrambles to Calipari's defense just before his OTL segment comes out. And listening to him talk to Finebaum he just does the old UKay fan staple of saying that Calipari was never directly implicated at UMass or Memphis but just happened to preside over 2 fairly obscure schools that had unprecedented success only to be followed by vacated Final Four banners.

Sounds like Katz is making a pre-emptive strike against Shaughnessy and doesn't want his piece on Cash Cal to be criticized as BS.

Seth Davis

The Big Lead

I just watched the Andy Katz clip and the first thing you have to wonder is why would Katz be going on Paul Finebaum's show for 3 minutes to discuss an article in the Boston Globe about John Calipari. The answer comes out right away. It just so happens that ESPN is going to air an Andy Katz piece this Sunday on "Outside the Lines" about....you guessed it John Calipari!

Just amazing that Katz scrambles to Calipari's defense just before his OTL segment comes out. And listening to him talk to Finebaum he just does the old UKay fan staple of saying that Calipari was never directly implicated at UMass or Memphis but just happened to preside over 2 fairly obscure schools that had unprecedented success only to be followed by vacated Final Four banners.

Sounds like Katz is making a pre-emptive strike against Shaughnessy and doesn't want his piece on Cash Cal to be criticized as BS.
Katz is just being a company man. ESPN has been pimping the SEC due to the new SEC network which ESPN owns. The agenda is as clear day. It's not hard to figure out.

Originally posted by AzCard:

Here's what I know - there are four HOF coaches in the ACC, all with deep mutual respect for each other. None of them respect Calipari.
Besides the fact that none of them have come out and said anything like that, since it would make national news, I'm really not upset that they might not "respect" Cal. One is suspended for half the ACC schedule next year and banned from post season play for presiding over a program that has been cheating for a decade. Another's school is under serious investigation for academic cheating. Also, K and Pitino are way too classy to come out and say they don't respect another coach. This is simply your opinion, which is fine, just don't project it onto someone else.

Seth Davis

The Big Lead

That's it? You list Seth Davis who only stated that he was offended by the Cosby reference and as others posted on his twitter page that Davis refused to argue with any of the facts and opinions that Shaughnessy wrote about only that he didn't like the Cosby reference. In Boston there are people with thick enough skin to handle that unlike Seth Davis.

The Andy Katz video as you mentioned goes through a UKay homer page with a slanted UKay homer headline about the content of what he said. I'll have to listen later.

And finally the cream of the crop, the much heralded superstar sportswriter Ryan Glasspiegle! Wow, and from a site called the Big Lead. And all this glorified basement blogger had to say was that he too didn't like the Cosby reference. Once again, another person refusing to discuss the facts about Calipari and the opinion that it is a terrible idea for UMass to honor a guy who leaves a trail of toilet paper to every job he leaves.
You guys keep moving the goalposts. I said that national media figures thought the piece wasn't very good. When asked to provide evidence of that (and told I wasn't allowed to cite "UK slobberers [sic] or Boston lint pickers") I provided a tweet from Seth Davis (hardly a big Calipari guy) with the direct quote "maybe the worst I've ever read" and a video of Andy Katz breaking down the article as being, essentially, without any real merit. Sure, if you want to discredit Katz because of the upcoming OTL piece, go ahead. I don't have personal relationships with any of these guys so I can only show you what they've chosen to put out there publically.

For the third time, I get why people don't like Calipari. I get, especially, why you guys don't like him. But find a better angle than this lame Globe piece; that's all I'm saying. I suspect there are posters on this board who, if able to find 30 minutes of clarity, could cobble together something more compelling than what Shaughnessy has done.

Seth Davis

The Big Lead

You guys keep moving the goalposts. I said that national media figures thought the piece wasn't very good. When asked to provide evidence of that (and told I wasn't allowed to cite "UK slobberers [sic] or Boston lint pickers") I provided a tweet from Seth Davis (hardly a big Calipari guy) with the direct quote "maybe the worst I've ever read" and a video of Andy Katz breaking down the article as being, essentially, without any real merit. Sure, if you want to discredit Katz because of the upcoming OTL piece, go ahead. I don't have personal relationships with any of these guys so I can only show you what they've chosen to put out there publically.

For the third time, I get why people don't like Calipari. I get, especially, why you guys don't like him. But find a better angle than this lame Globe piece; that's all I'm saying. I suspect there are posters on this board who, if able to find 30 minutes of clarity, could cobble together something more compelling than what Shaughnessy has done.
Davis was upset about the reference to Cosby or at least that's how I saw it. That's all I saw. Katz is a company man pimping the SEC for ESPN which owns the SEC network. He is protecting their investment. That other goober I've never even heard of. Hardly what I would call a national media figure. More like a basement blogger than a national sports writer. Shaughnessy has been a national sports writers for decades. His words have more merit than the 3 you reference combined, goal post moving or not.

Davis was upset about the reference to Cosby or at least that's how I saw it. That's all I saw. Katz is a company man pimping the SEC for ESPN which owns the SEC network. He is protecting their investment. That other goober I've never even heard of. Hardly what I would call a national media figure. More like a basement blogger than a national sports writer. Shaughnessy has been a national sports writers for decades. His words have more merit than the 3 you reference combined, goal post moving or not.
Davis called the piece "maybe the worst I've ever read." Irrespective of the reason why (and I suspect the Cosby line was a major factor), that was his quote. If SI's lead college bball writer's saying "maybe the worst I've ever read" doesn't cut the mustard as a national media figure weighing in negatively on the piece, I don't know what would. If you're not going to accept anything I say on the basis of the fact that I'm a UK fan, we can probably save each other a lot of time.

"Company man" is a good description for Katz. He's the type that's pretty favorable and positive towards most coaches, players and teams (on the other end of the spectrum from guys like Gottlieb and Goodman). I could argue that he could have gone on Finebaum and agreed with Shaughnessy and gotten as much, if not more, press for his upcoming OTL piece but either way. He's still the lead college bball writer for ESPN and he seemed underwhelmed. Question his motives for this if you'd like.

The Big Lead is a blog, yes, and probably a step below Bleacher Report and Deadspin in terms of readership. If you've never heard of it before this thread, then OK.

As to your last point, we'll have to agree to disagree w/r/t the relative merit of Shaughnessy's opinion and those of Davis or Katz when it comes to college basketball. The state of Massachusetts hasn't mattered in college basketball since....

Just exactly did he state that wasn't fact. Other than ruining the lives of the players he ran off who were all on target to graduate, I've always though his worst offense was leaving two prograns when they needed him most and of course his lying on the way out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT