turned out that star center Marcus Camby already had turned professional
while he was still in school, and UMass's appearance was officially
erased by the NCAA."

"Coach Cal got out of town before the posse
arrived, lying to everyone on his way out the door as he took millions
from the New Jersey Nets. After failing with the NBA, he returned to
college ball, took Memphis to the Final Four, but again had the
appearance redacted because of more violations."

Really? Bill Cosby's jersey is not available?

Wow...that line goes a little too far IMO.

As a UofL fan, I don't wanna hear anything about Calipari unless its a report of evidence he cheated.

Otherwise, its just useless bickering...

Originally posted by Steelers2012:

He also made the joke of Calipari having more vacancies attached to his coaching record than a hotel in downtown Detriot. Both jabs while unfair to Cosby and to the city of Detroit seem to drive home his view of John Calipari. A view I happen to agree with.

Originally posted by Cue Card:

Originally posted by Steelers2012:

He also made the joke of Calipari having more vacancies attached to his coaching record than a hotel in downtown Detriot. Both jabs while unfair to Cosby and to the city of Detroit seem to drive home his view of John Calipari. A view I happen to agree with.
blush.r191677.gif
I'm not proud of it...but that IS witty and DID make me chuckle.

It's a great article and mixes a strong opinion with undeniable facts. Dan Shaughnessy is one of the best sportswriters in America and is known to cut through the B.S. True he may have a slight axe to grind against the Squid because of his co-workers being banned from Cash Cal's home but that only brings to light the phony, dirty and ultimately thin skinned prick that is Calipari.

Excellent find Cue.

Originally posted by Louisvillian:
It's a great article and mixes a strong opinion with undeniable facts. Dan Shaughnessy is one of the best sportswriters in America and is known to cut through the B.S. True he may have a slight axe to grind against the Squid because of his co-workers being banned from Cash Cal's home but that only brings to light the phony, dirty and ultimately thin skinned prick that is Calipari.

Excellent find Cue.
I can't take credit for finding it. I saw it posted on TOS and decided to link it here. I like Shaughnessy's article because he doesn't sugar coat anything. I wish more had the balls to call Calipari out for who he is. I wanted to bring it here with the intent to show our BBN friends that it's not just a rival point of view regarding Calipari. It's bigger than that. He's a slime bag to a lot of people all over the country and he is considered the dirtiest of the dirty when it comes to the dirty deed of recruiting the AAU circuit.

What's the over/under on how many Ukay mouth breathers are going to register on the Boston Globe website so that they can go to the comments section under Shaughnessy's column and pretend that they are "offended Bostonians" or telling Shaughnessy to quit whining?

Typical post: SoxFan32 aka Huck from KenTuck..... "Quit your crying Dan, you are making all us UMass grads look bad. John Calipari has never been directly implicated in any wrong doing. Plus I hear that the fine people down in Kentucky just adore him."

Truth hurts.

The best line, in my opinion, his when he accurately describes Calipari as nothing more than a "glorified AAU bagman". That is as close to the truth as it gets.

Calipari (and a few other coaches, like those at SMU & LSU) basically work for the sports agency that represents him and Nike. They decide which AAU players are most likely to make it to the NBA and they funnel those players to specific schools with hidden inducements including cash cards, promised endorsement contracts, benefits for the players friends & family, etc. none of which are traceable to the coach or school. At the end of the year, they get together again to see which players offer maximum profit by going to the NBA, which show enough potential be kept in the system another year, and which should be cut loose.

Calipari's only job is to keep them out of trouble and give them a showcase for their talents for 9 months.

One reason this scheme is so successful and hard to prove is that it totally bypasses the old ham-handed method of using boosters to funnel money to kids. No one directly associated with the school is involved in any way in providing the inducements to the players.

Originally posted by AzCard:
The best line, in my opinion, his when he accurately describes Calipari as nothing more than a "glorified AAU bagman". That is as close to the truth as it gets.

Calipari (and a few other coaches, like those at SMU & LSU) basically work for the sports agency that represents him and Nike. They decide which AAU players are most likely to make it to the NBA and they funnel those players to specific schools with hidden inducements including cash cards, promised endorsement contracts, benefits for the players friends & family, etc. none of which are traceable to the coach or school. At the end of the year, they get together again to see which players offer maximum profit by going to the NBA, which show enough potential be kept in the system another year, and which should be cut loose.

Calipari's only job is to keep them out of trouble and give them a showcase for their talents for 9 months.

One reason this scheme is so successful and hard to prove is that it totally bypasses the old ham-handed method of using boosters to funnel money to kids. No one directly associated with the school is involved in any way in providing the inducements to the players.
monkeys.jpg

Honestly, I think the article is pure trash. I don't have any issue with people not liking Cal, and using this article to represent how they feel about the man, but the actual article isn't well written.

Shaughnessy comes across as lazy and hypocritical in the article. He tells us that "Cal got out of town before the posse arrived, lying to everyone on his way out the door". What were those lies, and who were they told to? None of us know because Shaughnessy doesn't back his statement with anything.

He also likes to mention OaD and the Dribble Drive without delving into any actual facts about those two topics. The Dribble Drive has only really been used one season by UK since Cal's arrival. OaDs have obviously been a part of the program since Cal came, but the levels Shaughnessy takes it too are short sighted, and very uninformed. He says that "if you have an 18-year-old son who is one year away from NBA millions,
send him to Kentucky. Just don't insult everybody's intelligence by
calling him a student-athlete.'' Um, if they remain eligible, aren't they student athletes? Is it any different than a freshman on the swim team taking freshman classes? The only OaD i wouldn't consider a student athlete at UK was Daniel Orton. What about those like Jones, Lamb, the Twins, Johnson, Lee, and Poythress? What about those that left, but are returning to get closer to getting their degrees? No mention of them. Not surprising.

Shaughnessy seems to like to bash Cal for the vacated wins(understandable, even if Cal was never implicated), but also seems to want to bash Cal for doing things "the right way", even if it's unconventional. He hasn't had any problems at UK. In fact, I would say that this UK team has everything you would want in a college basketball team. A good mix of freshmen and veterans, all seemingly high character guys that are unselfish, play solid team ball and tough defense.

The truth of the matter is that it's just easy and rewarding to write an article bashing Cal. You will get tons of hits from People that don't like Cal, and they will post it for their fellow Cal haters to read and enjoy. You will also get tons of hits from UK fans that want to bash the author. No matter if it is lazy journalism(like this article), you will get tons of hits, and that's what it's about.

Though, I do wonder if Shaughnessy realizes this isn't the first time UMass has honored Cal for the work he did there. Seems like both UMass and Memphis are both pretty fond of a guy that did so many terrible things to their programs lol.

Am I the only person who dislikes UK for these two reasons and ONLY these two reasons? 1) They're instate rivals and I was raised to not like them and 2) they have beaten us a lot lately, thus amplifying reason number 1. I really don't need to go fishing on all these other news venues and blogs looking to fuel my fire. If Cal left today, I'd still hate them but apparently I'm alone. Just don't get why some people can't hate UK for simply being UK. I don't need some dude in Boston showing me why not to like UK...just me though.

Carry on

Originally posted by W.W.W.:
Honestly, I think the article is pure trash. I don't have any issue with people not liking Cal, and using this article to represent how they feel about the man, but the actual article isn't well written.

Shaughnessy comes across as lazy and hypocritical in the article. He tells us that "Cal got out of town before the posse arrived, lying to everyone on his way out the door". What were those lies, and who were they told to? None of us know because Shaughnessy doesn't back his statement with anything.

He also likes to mention OaD and the Dribble Drive without delving into any actual facts about those two topics. The Dribble Drive has only really been used one season by UK since Cal's arrival. OaDs have obviously been a part of the program since Cal came, but the levels Shaughnessy takes it too are short sighted, and very uninformed. He says that "if you have an 18-year-old son who is one year away from NBA millions,
calling him a student-athlete.'' Um, if they remain eligible, aren't they student athletes? Is it any different than a freshman on the swim team taking freshman classes? The only OaD i wouldn't consider a student athlete at UK was Daniel Orton. What about those like Jones, Lamb, the Twins, Johnson, Lee, and Poythress? What about those that left, but are returning to get closer to getting their degrees? No mention of them. Not surprising.

Shaughnessy seems to like to bash Cal for the vacated wins(understandable, even if Cal was never implicated), but also seems to want to bash Cal for doing things "the right way", even if it's unconventional. He hasn't had any problems at UK. In fact, I would say that this UK team has everything you would want in a college basketball team. A good mix of freshmen and veterans, all seemingly high character guys that are unselfish, play solid team ball and tough defense.

The truth of the matter is that it's just easy and rewarding to write an article bashing Cal. You will get tons of hits from People that don't like Cal, and they will post it for their fellow Cal haters to read and enjoy. You will also get tons of hits from UK fans that want to bash the author. No matter if it is lazy journalism(like this article), you will get tons of hits, and that's what it's about.

Though, I do wonder if Shaughnessy realizes this isn't the first time UMass has honored Cal for the work he did there. Seems like both UMass and Memphis are both pretty fond of a guy that did so many terrible things to their programs lol.
A UK fan didn't like that article??????

rick-pitino-shocked-face.jpg

I am as shocked as coach Pitino is. Amazing!!

Me not liking the article has nothing to do with me being a UK fan. Almost everything in that article is the same regurgitated stuff I've heard and read for years. Notice I didn't touch on the "AAU bagman" comment, or other shots fired in the article. That's because I've commented on those things enough.

No, I commented on his shoddy, half assed attempt at journalism. I don't enjoy that type of work, no matter the subject of the piece. It's not objective, or even rooted in facts, but rather a hit piece full of half truths and unsupported statements. Like I said, not surprising. It's an easy way to get hits.

Me not liking the article has nothing to do with me being a UK fan. Almost everything in that article is the same regurgitated stuff I've heard and read for years. Notice I didn't touch on the "AAU bagman" comment, or other shots fired in the article. That's because I've commented on those things enough.

No, I commented on his shoddy, half assed attempt at journalism. I don't enjoy that type of work, no matter the subject of the piece. It's not objective, or even rooted in facts, but rather a hit piece full of half truths and unsupported statements. Like I said, not surprising. It's an easy way to get hits.
You can be objective AND truthful, and you can also voice your opinion which can be truthful without being objective. I didn't find 1 single thing the man wrote that was untruthful, and the reason you've heard and read it for years confirms the validity of what he is saying. Just because you don't care for the message doesn't mean it's not true. Tell me 1 single thing he said that just isn't true which he stated in that article.

Here are the truths he spoke of in that article:

1. Kentucky, the No. 1-ranked team in the country - coached by John
Calipari - is on the cusp of NCAA history, 31-0 after Saturday's win
over Florida.

2. John Calipari is a magnetic figure, undoubtedly the greatest college
basketball recruiter of the 21st century. He works the NCAA's cesspool
system better than any man alive. He is charismatic.

3. Calipari is a man who stretches the rules, and wins. He won at UMass. He
won at Memphis. He took both schools to the Final Four, but both
appearances were "vacated.'' They were erased.

4. At Kentucky, Coach Cal has a perennial team of NCAA lottery picks. He
has a chance to produce the first undefeated college team since Bobby
Knight's Indiana Hoosiers 39 years ago.

5. Cal promotes the dribble-drive and gets his one-and-done kids to the NBA.

6. UMass chooses to honor Cal during the 2015-16 season, a year that will
mark the 20th anniversary of the Minutemen's one and only trip the Final
Four, an appearance that officially never happened.

7. Coach Cal got out of town before the posse arrived, lying to everyone on
his way out the door (He lied by saying he didn't know anything about Camby getting paid when he had to be a total idiot not to know) as he took millions from the New Jersey Nets.
After failing with the NBA, he returned to college ball, took Memphis to
the Final Four, but again had the appearance redacted because of more
violations.

8. John is at Kentucky, producing a conga line of lottery picks, some of
whom perhaps actually spend several hours on campus. Hardly any of them
graduate, of course.

9. They (UK fans) are OK when a raft of Kentucky players get drafted and Cal
announces that it's the greatest night in the history of Kentucky
basketball. Kentucky fans are defiantly proud of their one-and-done
semi-pro players who visit campus briefly on their way to the NBA.

10. But it's all OK because, you know, Cal is just working within the
system. And he is really good at it. The Wildcats are fun to watch (did
you see the spectacular comeback against Georgia Tuesday night?). And if
you have an 18-year-old son who is one year away from NBA millions,
calling him a "student-athlete.''

11. This week marks the 20th anniversary of Coach Cal barring the Globe from
his Shutesbury home on Selection Sunday. The Globe's UMass beat
reporter was the estimable Joe Burris, who had covered the Minutemen for
six seasons and wrote stories on 29 regular-season games in 1995.
Calipari was upset because the Globe had reported on the poor grades and
academic probation of UMass's student-athletes.

Every single point I highlighted which the writer of that article wrote is 100% spot on accurate. Objective or not. It is the truth. That's why you hear it over and over and over again. It's the truth. It's not fabricated. It's not some made up fantasy land world. It is TRUE.

But it's not true if you chose to pretend it never happened....or you're a uk fan. Either way, it's the same thing.

There are so many "unsubstantionated" reports about Cal being a cheat and a lier or being connected to some really sleezy people that if you don't beleive there is truth to at least some of it then you are as nieve as a 2 year old child. The uk faithful go to extreme lengths to discount the VERY long list of accusations. It's exhausting but funny as hell to see them cover his tracks for him and be the devil's advocates all for some college basketball team's success...not their own. Some seriously deranged individuals. It's even funnier seeing the same people praise that scumbag when they were firing shots across his bow when he was at UMass and Memphis for cheating.

I guess when cheating is your history it becomes your present and future as well. Some humans are just born and bred that way. It's OK until it's not OK.

You can be objective AND truthful, and you can also voice your opinion which can be truthful without being objective. I didn't find 1 single thing the man wrote that was untruthful, and the reason you've heard and read it for years confirms the validity of what he is saying. Just because you don't care for the message doesn't mean it's not true. Tell me 1 single thing he said that just isn't true which he stated in that article.

Here are the truths he spoke of in that article:

1. Kentucky, the No. 1-ranked team in the country - coached by John
Calipari - is on the cusp of NCAA history, 31-0 after Saturday's win
over Florida.

2. John Calipari is a magnetic figure, undoubtedly the greatest college
basketball recruiter of the 21st century. He works the NCAA's cesspool
system better than any man alive. He is charismatic.

3. Calipari is a man who stretches the rules, and wins. He won at UMass. He
won at Memphis. He took both schools to the Final Four, but both
appearances were "vacated.'' They were erased.

4. At Kentucky, Coach Cal has a perennial team of NCAA lottery picks. He
has a chance to produce the first undefeated college team since Bobby
Knight's Indiana Hoosiers 39 years ago.

5. Cal promotes the dribble-drive and gets his one-and-done kids to the NBA.

6. UMass chooses to honor Cal during the 2015-16 season, a year that will
mark the 20th anniversary of the Minutemen's one and only trip the Final
Four, an appearance that officially never happened.

7. Coach Cal got out of town before the posse arrived, lying to everyone on
his way out the door (He lied by saying he didn't know anything about Camby getting paid when he had to be a total idiot not to know) as he took millions from the New Jersey Nets.
After failing with the NBA, he returned to college ball, took Memphis to
the Final Four, but again had the appearance redacted because of more
violations.

8. John is at Kentucky, producing a conga line of lottery picks, some of
whom perhaps actually spend several hours on campus. Hardly any of them
graduate, of course.

9. They (UK fans) are OK when a raft of Kentucky players get drafted and Cal
announces that it's the greatest night in the history of Kentucky
basketball. Kentucky fans are defiantly proud of their one-and-done
semi-pro players who visit campus briefly on their way to the NBA.

10. But it's all OK because, you know, Cal is just working within the
system. And he is really good at it. The Wildcats are fun to watch (did
you see the spectacular comeback against Georgia Tuesday night?). And if
you have an 18-year-old son who is one year away from NBA millions,
calling him a "student-athlete.''

Every single point I highlighted which the writer of that article wrote is 100% spot on accurate. Objective or not. It is the truth. That's why you hear it over and over and over again. It's the truth. It's not fabricated. It's not some made up fantasy land world. It is TRUE.
Yes, there is some truth to what he writes, but it isn't objective, and is full of half truths. I quoted some of those in my first post in this thread.

Some others are his statement that on the sidelines he sees players receiving impermissible benefits and faked SAT scores. Both half truths used to make his piece more dramatic.

Or that UK fans are just accepting of the OaDs because of the wins. Again, a half truth used to exaggerate a point. Do the wins make UK fans happy? Absolutely, but there is more to it than that.

Again, his statement about Cal lying on his way out the door. He doesn't go into what the lies were, or who those lies were told to. YOU assume he's talking about lying to the NCAA or UMass. Someone reading a well written piece shouldn't have to assume anything following that statement, as it should be explained, and examples presented. Again, just another tactic to dial up the impact of the piece. But, let's say that what you assume he is talking about is correct, it is baseless. The NCAA, who knows more than anyone not directly involved in the situation knows, emphatically says Cal did nothing wrong in the UMass situation.

Which brings up my next point. You say that my having to comment so much in the past on some issues is proof that those accusations are true. No, it's not. The old saying is that if you say something long enough, people will accept it as truth. Old wives tales, urban legends, and the vilification of Cal are all examples of that. There is so much misinformation and flat out lies about the guy it's beyond hilarious. Wasn't there an "article" released just a couple of days ago that was written for a fake news site? It was so blatantly fake, yet I found it posted on several sites, as well as my social media feeds. Some were posting it because of the humor, but most took the article at face value. A bunch of these people I consider smart people. The fact that their perceptions of Cal have been shaped by writers(like the one that penned the article in the OP), social media, and sports fans speaks volumes about what people are willing to believe without investigating themselves.

Here's the academic standards a OAD "student"-athlete has to meet to be eligbile for one year: Enroll for and pass 6 credit-hours (basically two classes) of courses in fall semester and register for (but not necessarily bother to take) 12 credit-hours ( 4 classes) of courses in the spring semester.

As for those who hang around for a second year, it's well known that Sandy Bell is a master at getting and keeping players eligible at UK. (Why is it that the whole world knows the name of UK's compliance officer while the vast majority of fans couldn't name the compliance officer of their own favorite program if free season tickets were on the line?)

And let us not forget that Calipari is clearly on record that he is NOT in the business of helping kids get an education. He stated on national TV that when Ullis told him he looked forward to playing four years at UK, he (Calipari) told him (Ullis) "If you expect to be hear four years, you need to go somewhere else."

Wow...someone clearly loves their head coach so much he'd gladly take a bullet for him. The level of protection for Cal is off the charts ridiculous by some uk fans. You guys counter every claim like defense lawyers but the evidence list is mounting. The NCAA is spineless and everyone knows that. Even uk fans have admitted that same thought numerous times on message boards yet when it comes to Cal the NCAA is the end all be all of fact finders and owners and if they say he's clean he must be squeeky. Pshhht
rolleye0010.r191677.gif

Just make sure you say your sorry and you were wrong for protecting that scumbag when he runs off and leaves uk holding a box full of receipts and is claiming short-term memory loss.....again.

The article isn't a full-on detail packed list of evidence but it points to a great many things that are shady about Cal which gets uk fans panties all up in a wad. That being said, I loved it haha!

This is why the article was written. Journalists don't like being told they don't have access to something.

Yes, there is some truth to what he writes, but it isn't objective, and is full of half truths. I quoted some of those in my first post in this thread.

It doesn't need to be objective IF it's true. It's just TRUE. You seem to be confusing objectivity with truths. They don't necessarily have go together.

Some others are his statement that on the sidelines he sees players receiving impermissible benefits and faked SAT scores. Both half truths used to make his piece more dramatic.

Even half truths is still a truth.

Or that UK fans are just accepting of the OaDs because of the wins. Again, a half truth used to exaggerate a point. Do the wins make UK fans happy? Absolutely, but there is more to it than that.

What else would you call it? UK fans crow about how great things are while ignoring the facts the OAD players are only there to get to the next level and words like student-athletes are mere punchlines in Lexington.

Again, his statement about Cal lying on his way out the door. He doesn't go into what the lies were, or who those lies were told to. YOU assume he's talking about lying to the NCAA or UMass. Someone reading a well written piece shouldn't have to assume anything following that statement, as it should be explained, and examples presented. Again, just another tactic to dial up the impact of the piece. But, let's say that what you assume he is talking about is correct, it is baseless. The NCAA, who knows more than anyone not directly involved in the situation knows, emphatically says Cal did nothing wrong in the UMass situation.

AGAIN, he had to see the jewelry, the clothes, the nice things AND the agent who was hanging out with Camby, and he ignored it until it was clear he was going to get busted for it, so he then brought to everyone's attention on his way out the door. That's just documented history.

Which brings up my next point. You say that my having to comment so much in the past on some issues is proof that those accusations are true. No, it's not. The old saying is that if you say something long enough, people will accept it as truth. Old wives tales, urban legends, and the vilification of Cal are all examples of that. There is so much misinformation and flat out lies about the guy it's beyond hilarious. Wasn't there an "article" released just a couple of days ago that was written for a fake news site? It was so blatantly fake, yet I found it posted on several sites, as well as my social media feeds. Some were posting it because of the humor, but most took the article at face value. A bunch of these people I consider smart people. The fact that their perceptions of Cal have been shaped by writers(like the one that penned the article in the OP), social media, and sports fans speaks volumes about what people are willing to believe without investigating themselves.

Aren't you doing the same thing by making the claim the man is innocent when you don't know for sure? Like you said, if you continue to say something over and over and over then eventually people believe it to be true. Much like Adolph Rupp wasn't a racist. He most certainly was but to let the revisionist of history tell it, he wasn't at all which is equally hilarious.

Fall hard on that sword and keep up the good fight. Like you say, if you keep circumventing the truth and put your own version out there, people will believe it eventually.

Some people seem to think that just because ESPN won't report it, it's not true. Cough Syracuse. I'm not sure when it happened, but ESPN got awful sleazy IMO. Makes it harder and harder to watch that pathetic outlet. Even when they have the games. It's like you should be drinking Mountain Dew and wearing cheap @ss tennis shoes every time you turn it on.

Oh and don't forget my good friends the Dookies. They're everywhere now baby. If they're not calling the game and loving all over the refs, they're telling you about loving the refs in the studio baby.

Guy has been writing for 30 + years.

Writing columns comes with the challenge of having limited space. He's not going to craft a book on this topic and have the Boston Globe put it in print - they outline limits so he has to crunch his work.

He even says, in his second paragraph.

"Sometimes there is not enough space in our newspaper to articulate all
the thoughts, and state all the points, that need to be made."

He made it clear in that statement that there is much more that could be said on the topic, but he doesn't have room to go deeper.

It doesn't need to be objective IF it's true. It's just TRUE. You seem to be confusing objectivity with truths. They don't necessarily have go together.

Even half truths is still a truth.

What else would you call it? UK fans crow about how great things are while ignoring the facts the OAD players are only there to get to the next level and words like student-athletes are mere punchlines in Lexington.

AGAIN, he had to see the jewelry, the clothes, the nice things AND the agent who was hanging out with Camby, and he ignored it until it was clear he was going to get busted for it, so he then brought to everyone's attention on his way out the door. That's just documented history.

Aren't you doing the same thing by making the claim the man is innocent when you don't know for sure? Like you said, if you continue to say something over and over and over then eventually people believe it to be true. Much like Adolph Rupp wasn't a racist. He most certainly was but to let the revisionist of history tell it, he wasn't at all which is equally hilarious.

Fall hard on that sword and keep up the good fight. Like you say, if you keep circumventing the truth and put your own version out there, people will believe it eventually.
Bam
giphy.gif

I just wanted to say I appreciate the civil debate going on here.

I'm posting this because I don't have access to my PC or laptop, and I'm damn sure not continuing this typing on my phone lol. Hopefully this thread will still be drawing interest when I can get back on.

A simple question, not trying to flame, and I have no idea.......Is Marcus Camby's number hanging in the rafters ? If it is, WHY ? He is the one that accepted money illegally from an agent.

Originally posted by CloverforkCat:
A simple question, not trying to flame, and I have no idea.......Is Marcus Camby's number hanging in the rafters ? If it is, WHY ? He is the one that accepted money illegally from an agent.
Great question and I had to go look because I honestly did not know.

The answer is there are 4 retired jersey numbers in the UMass basketball history. Marcus Camby's jersey number 21 was retired November 13, 2012

The other 3 are George Burke and Julius Irving who shared the #32, Al Skinner #30, and Lou Roe #15.

Just another example of how cheating actually does pay. It's no surprise to me that UMass is now going to honor Calipari too. Serious hypocrisy going on at UMass.

Forget Cal's personality. Never mind his exploitation of the current NCAA system. You don't have to like him or UK or any of his past schools... What ever happened to "innocent until proven guilty?[/B]"

There are plenty of accusations and innuendos... but no proof... of anything.

Originally posted by OneEarWonder:
Forget Cal's personality. Never mind his exploitation of the current NCAA system. You don't have to like him or UK or any of his past schools... What ever happened to "innocent until proven guilty?[/B]"

There are plenty of accusations and innuendos... but no proof... of anything.
I think you need to read AZcard's post again. He has it nailed. Calipari is a glorified AAU bagman and it's HIS choice. He has always taken shortcuts instead of actually building something of substance and it's not a question of innocence or guilt. It's a question of morals and ethics. Nothing else.

The best line, in my opinion, his when he accurately
describes Calipari as nothing more than a "glorified AAU bagman". That
is as close to the truth as it gets.

Calipari (and a few other coaches, like those at SMU & LSU) basically work for the sports agency that represents him and Nike.
They decide which AAU players are most likely to make it to the NBA and
they funnel those players to specific schools with hidden inducements
including cash cards, promised endorsement contracts, benefits for the
players friends & family, etc. none of which are traceable to the
coach or school. At the end of the year, they get together again to see
which players offer maximum profit by going to the NBA, which show
enough potential be kept in the system another year, and which should be
cut loose.

One
reason this scheme is so successful and hard to prove is that it
totally bypasses the old ham-handed method of using boosters to funnel
money to kids. No one directly associated with the school is involved in
any way in providing the inducements to the players.

Sports writers all across the country are blasting that guy and the article. I suggest you use google and find all the pro UK articles written in the last week. There are dozens and dozens including the new York times, Chicago tribune, new yorker ext, wall street journal etc. We are the biggest story in sports and people are rooting for us because of all the positive attention this gives college basketball, during the lowest scoring and most scandal ridden year in a long time. Our games have drawn more viewers than the much more popular NBA.

You focus on that one article because it suggests things that you already think. When you are ridiculously successful, haters come out. Its all good. If you are that hated you must be doing something right. You guys suggest we cheat and that any minute its going to happen. 6 years later... We have people like Bilas praising our team while calling out the haters.

Hey Cue, remember when you started that thread about how our chemistry would destroy the team? Looks like Louisville is the one that had those problems. Ouch bro.

Originally posted by that.dude:
Sports writers all across the country are blasting that guy and the article. I suggest you use google and find all the pro UK articles written in the last week. There are dozens and dozens including the new York times, Chicago tribune, new yorker ext, wall street journal etc. We are the biggest story in sports and people are rooting for us because of all the positive attention this gives college basketball, during the lowest scoring and most scandal ridden year in a long time. Our games have drawn more viewers than the much more popular NBA.

You focus on that one article because it suggests things that you already think. When you are ridiculously successful, haters come out. Its all good. If you are that hated you must be doing something right. You guys suggest we cheat and that any minute its going to happen. 6 years later... We have people like Bilas praising our team while calling out the haters.

Hey Cue, remember when you started that thread about how our chemistry would destroy the team? Looks like Louisville is the one that had those problems. Ouch bro.
Actually I don't but I'm flattered that a 2 post troll with yet ANOTHER moniker on this board chose to share that memory with me. You stalking me or just the board itself?

The reason I linked that ONE article was to show you and all the other
blinded BBN faithful that it's not just UofL fans who notice what
Calipari is. As a matter of fact, we all had our fill of the douche nozzle
when he coached Memphis State. We knew what he was way before he ever
lied to the people of Memphis and packed his bags for Lexington.

Also, while we're at it, you're kidding yourself if you really think UofK is the biggest story in sports today. I am fairly sure most people care more about the NFL player movement right now than about UofK entering the SEC tourney undefeated. I mean the worse NFL game on TV will draw more viewership per household than any college basketball game ever, no matter what. We're a society that loves violence, and the National Football League provides that to us as entertainment.

Now IF UofK is still undefeated and playing for a national championship in April, I'll agree UofK will be the biggest sports news story. Not before.

Having two final four's vacated is all the proof you need. The NCAA has not vacated many in history, but two are Čal's. Check the grad rate also.

The truth is the University of Kentucky supports a glorified D-League to win games. That is their decision and their fans support it. The NCAA supports it. Obviously, AAU, Nike and others have supported it. Cal has ran with it where a bunch of coaches wouldn't including Pitino. That is their choice.

This really is a bigger picture issue is the UK system good for college basketball? Is it good for college basketball for a group of people to come together to create a D-League team in a college environment? This system only benefits a very small percentage of schools. UK isn't the only one but they have just been selected to be the flagship. You are starting to see other schools with the same affiliations becoming players for the elite kids. Duke, Arizona , NC, Syracuse, and Kansas have always been in the system. The new comers like Baylor and LSU are starting to get the left overs. Is funneling all the elite players to a select number of schools a good thing for college basketball? The long term answer is no it only hurts the game.

The one and done has to be dealt with by the NCAA. If the NBA isn't going to work with the NCAA then the NCAA has to do what is best for the majority. The Big 10 has thrown the idea out there to make freshman Ineligible that will never fly. The easiest fix is to put in a APR rule that penalizes a team for having too many one and done players. Develop a APR model to address the one and done that discourages schools from collecting elite players. it will force coaches and universities to limit how many guys can be funneled to their school. It doesn't address the one and done players but it does spread the talent around to other teams. Bottom line is you can't have a system that creates an un level playing field. That is what we have today.

People may say everyone can create what UK that is BS because there are only x amount of elite athletes. Put the UK system in terms of a draft. Basically UK gets the first 3 to 5 picks each year. If it was just Cal ability to recruit then OK but that isn't what it is. It is a group of people that are funneling kids to UK. Cal just gets to pick and choose which ones fit his style. Not only does he get to choose but he doesn't have to look real hard. His evaluation process is much easier. Adidas and others could partner with Louisville funnel all their best players to Louisville. Under Armour could do the same for Maryland. That is not good for the college game. It is great for UK and I have always said it is a brilliant system.

Like it or not that system is on cruise control and nothing is going to stop it.

And Cal didn't know he had a condo and three different cars. Players even stayed in the condo. He didn't know that Rose's brother was on the team plane.(9 times). Fran Frachella reported that in a poll of top coaches, 14 reported that the SEC was the dirteist and 12 reported that that the B1G was cleanest. Also mentioned was the Chicago recruitments and turnarounds. Those include Ulis among others from Chicago. Davis wasn't mentioned, but we know about that one. The NCAA has had their chances but the combo of ESPN, Nike, and WWW is hard to penetrate. Clearing Bledsoe's grades and not looking into how a single women making $10.80 an hour could move her family to Lexington and out in ten months, living in Tate's Creek home. Also the home belonged to a UK employee. Then there is that 17% grad rate. They come in for money and they leave for more money. Everyone in basketball kniws what is going on based in the coaches votes, but nobody will stand up. The heart of college is rotting before our eyes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT