ADVERTISEMENT

Akron series

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
The UofL baseball Twitter page shows a picture of Carter Lohman on its promo for tonight's game.
Anybody know if he's our Friday guy this weekend?

That would be quite a surprise. Considering Tate has pitched pretty well thus far I am not sure why they would not go with him. Unless…he is dinged up or not feeling well.

Yeah,and I'm just wondering out loud. Lohman is one of the guys featured on the posters,so maybe it's just that???
CDM did say there might be some different looks in these early games so maybe some more weekend shuffling?

The poster angle may be right. Just a photo to promote a game. I certainly think Carter gets another hard look this weekend. He is better than what he showed last time out. I still really think the leashes should be extremely short and arms warm and ready to go earlier than later. I get letting guys work through trouble - BUT - winning games is must - especially against opponents you should beat. UofL needs to sweep Akron. For me…if a pitcher walks their first batter - pull them. Two consecutive batters are walked - pull them. Guys need to hit the zone - without serving up HR pitches. (Easier said than done - I know).

Reactions: earsky
Doubleheader tomorrow.
Cards playing with something looking a little different to me. Up close like I was tonight,it's an air of confidence,a little swag.
My guess is that walkoff has put a little pep in their step.
1% better every day. The Zips are not a very good team,but the Cards were very business like. Hope it carries over. The schedule gets good soon.

Reactions: CardX and Deeva
Same thing I saw last Saturday. Visiting team is hungrier after getting smoked the night before. We're not business like.

Do y’all think i can get tickets to Michigan series by paying at the stadium, or should I pre purchase?

I would assume first come,first serve on chairback and if the season ticket holders show up they can bounce you out if it is their seat you're sitting in.

Not 100 % on any of that though.

If it is a free game my season tickets have no ‘power’. So, my seats are open.

Reactions: bigloucards
You would think we’d have someone who can throw the ball to first base from SS. Good lord.

You would think we’d have someone who can throw the ball to first base from SS. Good lord.
Or have your pitchers throwing strikes. I just never get how these pitchers come in and have so much trouble throwing strikes. You're a pitcher at a major college level. You should be able to throw a strike when it's a 2 - 0 count.

The Cards defense is the worst I've seen in the McDonnell era. Knapp should be playing 2nd base.

No. Season tickets cover ACC games and ‘special’ games like UK, Vandy, etc.

The inning where we gave up 4 runs was on the defense. The FR pitcher got a ground ball the SS - error. Ground ball to second - tougher ball, ut no play at first and then a poor throw to home. Beard just had another misplay at second with a lackadaisical throw to 1B. I agree about Knap - 2B and try Beard at SS or Metz at SS and Beard at 3B. Knap has been bitting the ball so he needs to be playing.

The only guy that might be good enough is Smith,but it's hard to see the field when you've got 2 middle infielders hitting the way Knap and Beard are.

Zing doesn't have enough range.

Can’t disagree. As long as Knap and Beard are hitting they are safe. I guess you sacrifice the potential spotty defense for productivity at the plate. OTOH - Our pitchers need solid defense and can’t afford silly errors. Heck, I feel like defense is taking precedence in CF with Usher because he isn’t producing at the plate.

Again Baseball is weird. Some weekends the ball looks like a basketball and others it moves are like a whiffle ball.

Fall ball it looked like they could hit but pitching would struggle or was really bad.

I agree on the defensive issue most games will be tight good defense is a must.

In defense of our middle infielders,I did see both guys make some really outstanding plays this weekend. Beard seems to make plays that shouldn't be made by anyone and miss the routine ones. Knap also. They both had top 10 type plays and they both had routine miscues. The defense Friday night as good as it gets.

In defense of our middle infielders,I did see both guys make some really outstanding plays this weekend. Beard seems to make plays that shouldn't be made by anyone and miss the routine ones. Knap also. They both had top 10 type plays and they both had routine miscues. The defense Friday night as good as it gets.
I saw Knap go get a ball that was headed to CF and he fielded cleanly and made a perfect throw to get a speedy runner. He’s got the arm, he just needs more consistency. I wouldn’t mess with him as far as switching him to 2nd because you don’t know if it will affect his offense. He’s on fire right now and is a prototypical leadoff.

Reactions: earsky
I saw Knap go get a ball that was headed to CF and he fielded cleanly and made a perfect throw to get a speedy runner. He’s got the arm, he just needs more consistency. I wouldn’t mess with him as far as switching him to 2nd because you don’t know if it will affect his offense. He’s on fire right now and is a prototypical leadoff.
Yeah I agree with all of this. His attitude about the game seems to be contagious with the older guys. He's not going anywhere. That play was top 10 for sure and Beard had one too. Hell,I saw some on the Akron side,especially Friday night. Just get past that mental hump on those routine ones.

Reactions: nccardfan
College shortstops make errors. (except Devin Hairston) I think Knap is getting better and he has become huge offensive weapon.
Beard starting to hit, so he stays at second base. I predict they get better and we'll have something else to post about.

No,was wondering the same thing.
I think the lopsided scores gave Dan an opportunity to take a look at other guys, plus give his arm some rest if needed.

Also may need him against TCU, who is not a typical midweek game. They’re a resume builder team we need to beat.

Nccardfan is thinking like me. I am thinking he either starts or is the first out of the pen on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT