ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Tournament Discussion

Bardman

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Like our position. Just beat Clemson right off the bat with Poland and be done. Pitch anyone you want v. GA tech and rest Poland. Get the pod winner of NC St, UNC or Pitt.

Reactions: Deeva
Cards will be the 2 seed and will have the 7 and 11 seeds in their bracket. 11 seed is Pitt and if I am reading the 3-way tiebreaker for 7-8-9 spots correctly, Georgia Tech will be the 7, North Carolina 8 and FSU will be 9.

Do we play the 11 seed in our first game, or the 7? I’m not sure I know the answer to that just yet.

Also, say we do play Pitt first and win. Our game against Georgia Tech can either be a must win or an exhibition game, depending on what happens when Tech plays Pitt. If Tech beats Pitt, we only advance if we beat Tech. If Pitt beats Tech, then UofL-GT is an exhibition game.

UofL under Mac has never been about the ACCT. Disregard it. Ignore it. Act like it isn’t happening. Bigger prize awaits.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
UofL under Mac has never been about the ACCT. Disregard it. Ignore it. Act like it isn’t happening. Bigger prize awaits.
Are we not still trying to get a top 8 seed? Or do we already have one?
There have been a lot of years when we had one of those secured and the Conference tournament meant nothing.

Clemon ? Where did you read that 😳
I searched for the ACC baseball tournament bracket and multiple showed Clemson. I now see Pitt; could have been they were so close that Clemson was projected for our pod. So, Pitt and Ga Tech. Either way - same approach. Just win that first game - period. CDM said this weekend they want to play well in the ACCT but just haven’t for whatever reason. I think they need to get to the semifinals (at a minimum) to get that national seed. Who knows, we play well and a couple of others lose maybe we move up a seed or two.

Are we not still trying to get a top 8 seed? Or do we already have one?
There have been a lot of years when we had one of those secured and the Conference tournament meant nothing.
Baseball America has us projected at 7. D1 Baseball does, too.

Reactions: gocds
I’m seeing a report on a Clemson site that lists the following schedule:

Tuesday: GT vs Pitt at 11am
Wednesday: UofL vs Pitt at 11am
Thursday: UofL vs GT at 11am

Go back and review the expectations that were posted in preseason, and after the our early non-conference losses by our fans …….. clearly this season has exceeded most expectations as we head into tournament play. I really like our chances with CDM in our dugout.

Go back and review the expectations that were posted in preseason, and after the our early non-conference losses by our fans …….. clearly this season has exceeded most expectations as we head into tournament play. I really like our chances with CDM in our dugout.
Amen brother 233, amen.

GO CARDS!!!

No doubt. This team has exceeded all expectations. If the pitching can be (not bad) this team has a great chance to make some noise this post-season.

I’m seeing a report on a Clemson site that lists the following schedule:

Tuesday: GT vs Pitt at 11am
Wednesday: UofL vs Pitt at 11am
Thursday: UofL vs GT at 11am
If GT beats Pitt, expect a staff day and maybe an inning and an AB or 2 fromo Knap on WED as the game means virtually nothing. I'd expect Poland to go against GT on THU to keep him on schedule and try to secure advancing to Semi-Finals.

If Pitt beats GT, not sure what McD would do on WED. He pulled Poland forward a day this past week (FRI to THU) and could do it again (THU to WED) and maybe have Poland for a couple of innings on SAT or SUN if you get there. I'd guess everyone but Kuehner would be available on WED for at least some work.

Pitt has erupted for 8 runs in the top of the 6th to take a 10-6 lead over Georgia Tech.

If I’m putting this together right assuming Pitt hangs on to this game all we need to do is beat Pitt
Exactly right. Pitt defeated Georgia Tech 12-6. Tomorrow at 11am, Cards versus Panthers for the berth in semifinals. The Cards will also have a game against Tech on Thursday, but that game has no bearing on which team advances.

So, if you're McD do you pull Poland forward another day (THU of last week [albeit very late] to WED of this week) like you did last week (FRI to THU) and start him tomorrow in the game to get to the semis? If it's me, I do it. Mild additional bonus is maybe Poland is also available on SAT or SUN if you get there for a couple of innings as that would be his normal day to "throw on the side" anyway.

This is a NO BRAINER!! Cards start Poland against Pitt! Stay with him until the game is well in Hand. This is single elimination Baseball, Boys. You play each game like there is NO TOMORROW.

Cards on Revenge Tour Remember what Coach Mack said? Win tomorrow, and you send Pitt Home, and you are on to the Semi's. Revenge Complete! Worry about Saturday, when it get's here.

Reactions: Deeva and PushupMan
Such a tough call. Cards lost 2/3 at Pitt.
And Poland was the winning pitcher in the one game UofL won.

I agree that Poland is your starter tomorrow. He pitches in that game, and then I do not expect to see him again until the first game of the NCAA Regionals.

Reactions: Bardman
In pool C, 11-seed NC State knocks off 6-seed Wake Forest. Similar to our pool B championship game against Pitt tomorrow, #3seed Miami will play NC State at 7pm tomorrow night for the pool C championship.

Winners of pools B and C face off in the semifinals.

This is a NO BRAINER!! Cards start Poland against Pitt! Stay with him until the game is well in Hand. This is single elimination Baseball, Boys. You play each game like there is NO TOMORROW.
I agree it's now win or go home.

If this pitching rotation is as focused in this tournament as they were against UK and Vanderbilt ….. we will be fine.

I am not going to question CDM’s decision on naming the starting pitcher, as I do believe that he will expect every arm on the roster to be focused and prepared. Unlike so many contests this regular season, I suspect he will quickly pull any starter or reliever as soon as he suspects they cannot find the zone.

Reactions: earsky and cocoa
If this pitching rotation is as focused in this tournament as they were against UK and Vanderbilt ….. we will be fine.

I am not going to question CDM’s decision on naming the starting pitcher, as I do believe that he will expect every arm on the roster to be focused and prepared. Unlike so many contests this regular season, I suspect he will quickly pull any starter or reliever as soon as he suspects they cannot find the zone.
Poland will have a little bit longer leash, then the others. They will stay with Poland as, long as we can stay within 3 runs, if we get behind. Let's just count on Jared giving us 7-8 solid innings. Then throw the ball to Prosecky, if the score is close down the stretch. Use tomorrow as a Tuneup for the Saturday semi. Anyone heard if Knapcek is playing? Sure hope he is ready to go. We need all hands on deck today!

Reactions: earsky
Anyone heard if Knapcek is playing? Sure hope he is ready to go. We need all hands on deck today!
What I heard over at the field last week was ACC tournament on Knap. I'd expect he's gonna play today.

Unlike so many contests this regular season, I suspect he will quickly pull any starter or reliever as soon as he suspects they cannot find the zone.
Yeah,elimination settings change that dynamic. I think you're right about Poland too,if that's how they go.

Today's lineup. No Knap, No Cam, No Poland.

FTm7dTtWQAAspVj

In the late game last night (pool A), #8 seed North Carolina eliminated #12 Clemson 9-2.

Hopefully this did not cost us a super regional.
Just depends on what others do I think.
Of course,we could slide out of the top eight but get back in if any of the top seeds falter in Regional play.

He stated the other day how they have just had bad luck at the ACCT and how they wanted to break through. I get the Knap decision. Maybe Cam was ill? I don’t understand the pitching decisions - at all. It very well could cost a Super Regional - we’ll see. I hope NC St beats Miami today.

Understanding benching Masterman. The dude has been having bad at bats for awhile now. But not starting Poland just doesn't make sense unless the pitchers arm wasn't ready. McDonnell may not have wanted to stress his only starting pitcher just for the ACC tournament?

Understanding benching Masterman. The dude has been having bad at bats for awhile now. But not starting Poland just doesn't make sense unless the pitchers arm wasn't ready. McDonnell may not have wanted to stress his only starting pitcher just for the ACC tournament?
I'm just gonna assume Mac was trying to get thru the day going staff(which would include Poland for an inning) and saving Poland for the semi final game Saturday.
Right or wrong,I think that's what he had in mind.

So now what for the Cards? Is there still a game to be played tomorrow or not?
If so,gotta believe there are some pitchers and hitters that could use the game. Could be good,Idk.
Anybody know if they're gonna play this game?

Just depends on what others do I think.
Of course,we could slide out of the top eight but get back in if any of the top seeds falter in Regional play.
I looked on the ESPN app for tomorrow’s game time, Cards are now ranked 10th.

Reactions: earsky
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT