ADVERTISEMENT

2 Prospects already offered by Mack Team

I will take a team of 5 star players over 3 and 4 on a regular basis anytime. I cannot understand why you would not the best players you can get. Coaching is important but if you want to win titles you have to recruit well. Having a good team once every 5 or 6 years because you have to develop 3 star and low 4 star players is not acceptable.

Not acceptable to who? CRP coached for how many years here and you just now are saying it is not acceptable. Both DC and RP proved otherwise.

What a BS false sense of entitlement world you must live in. You sound like a yut fan in disguise. How far did all those 5 stars take them this year? Nyet.

I will take a team of 5 star players over 3 and 4 on a regular basis anytime. I cannot understand why you would not the best players you can get...
Bowen and Blakeney, to start with.

And when you manage to land one, VJ King...

I get the feeling the big blew yahoo's are a bit worried.

It was known that Cal had RP's number.

Now, we have a coach who's known to have tough, physical teams, and has no "Cal" in his head.

We may actually play care free against them. De hombre a hombre. (A little warm and fuzzy diversity thrown in there :D )

Not acceptable to who? CRP coached for how many years here and you just now are saying it is not acceptable. Both DC and RP proved otherwise.

What a BS false sense of entitlement world you must live in. You sound like a yut fan in disguise. How far did all those 5 stars take them this year? Nyet.
I have always been vocal about his inability to consistently recruit top talent. What are you even talking about? During Coach Crum's first 15-20 years he recruited at the highest level, several high school players of the year and McD AA's and other top talent. Pitino never really recruited that well here. I am looking for Mack to upgrade our recruiting from Pitino. Some of you need to be educated about the history of the program.

Reactions: jimmy5-11
I get the feeling the big blew yahoo's are a bit worried.

It was known that Cal had RP's number.

Now, we have a coach who's known to have tough, physical teams, and has no "Cal" in his head.

We may actually play care free against them. De hombre a hombre. (A little warm and fuzzy diversity thrown in there :D )
The sad truth is some in our fanbase won't care how well Mack does overall if he can beat slappies with some consistency...

C'mon Z let's not attack a kid that stuck with the program during a dark time.
I love VJ. I have a problem with the attitude that we need to get 5-star kids.

VJ is not doing any better than some of our guys who are not 5-star. We're L1C4, and it's a flawed indicator of success for us. I wish we would never recruit 5-star kids unless they come asking us for a scholly. Then I'd consider it...

I have always been vocal about his inability to consistently recruit top talent...
Evidently, Pitino listened to you too much. In the end, that cost Pitino his job and the rest of us, a championship banner.

Congrats on getting thru to him...

I like how CCM is recruiting Americans and not a bunch of International players so far. I bet the team's basketball IQ goes up significantly under CCM.

Reactions: Bird--man
The players are at the Presser. Seem to look excited and ancy just like the rest of us. The BOT vote passed unanimous.

I have always been vocal about his inability to consistently recruit top talent. What are you even talking about? During Coach Crum's first 15-20 years he recruited at the highest level, several high school players of the year and McD AA's and other top talent. Pitino never really recruited that well here. I am looking for Mack to upgrade our recruiting from Pitino. Some of you need to be educated about the history of the program.

I agree. That someone would be you. Bet u have brown eyes too, cause you are full of --it.

I’m pretty sure that it’s not impossible to do both.

Beat the slappies AND have a successful season

Don’t know why doing both were so hard for RP

During Coach Crum's first 15-20 years he recruited at the highest level, several high school players of the year and McD AA's and other top talent.
He did,but they weren't all high school All Americans.I'll reference my time as a student at UofL,when there were a couple of kids named McCray,a dude named Griff,and a complement of sleepers named Gordon,Jones and D Smith.Those last 3 were the glue that helped get to 2 final fours and 3 in four seasons.

My point is,Wade Houston and D Crum weren't afraid to go get those diamonds in the rough.Because they knew that they were an important part of the Blend.You gotta have guys with something to prove,guys willing to bring the lunch pail and complement the stars.

Evidently, Pitino listened to you too much. In the end, that cost Pitino his job and the rest of us, a championship banner.

Congrats on getting thru to him...

What was I thinking? I was actually expecting a hall of fame coach making $7 million year to recruit great players.

He did,but they weren't all high school All Americans.I'll reference my time as a student at UofL,when there were a couple of kids named McCray,a dude named Griff,and a complement of sleepers named Gordon,Jones and D Smith.Those last 3 were the glue that helped get to 2 final fours and 3 in four seasons.

My point is,Wade Houston and D Crum weren't afraid to go get those diamonds in the rough.Because they knew that they were an important part of the Blend.You gotta have guys with something to prove,guys willing to bring the lunch pail and complement the stars.
Where are you getting this stuff? Scooter McCray was the top rated high school player in the country as was Darrell Griffith. Rodney McCray was the 20th rated high school player. Lancaster Gordon was rated number 32. Jones was a top 50 recruit.

Scooter McCray was the top rated high school player in the country as was Darrell Griffith. Rodney McCray was the 20th
Yeah,I know about those three.That's what I said.Re-read the post.They were complemented by the other 3.Don't know where Gordon,Smith and Jones were ranked out of high school,but they weren't HS All Americans.

He's a strength and conditioning guy i'm sure if he is not kept on Macks staff their are plenty of positions within the university system for a guy like that.
Not to be a dick but, it wouldn’t hurt my feelings to not see him going berserk on the sidelines anymore. His “game face” is a little over the top. Plus - the guys under him have been underwhelming in the strength department.

Reactions: Cardsfan62
What was I thinking? I was actually expecting a hall of fame coach making $7 million year to recruit great players.
Bowen was the top recruit in last year's U of L class. By your definition, he WAS a great player. You were probably happy, really happy...

There weren't Rivals, Scout, and ESPN player ratings when Crum was recruiting. What you did have were McDonald's high school AA teams.

And U of L had a small number of players on those teams. By my count, Crum averaged one recruit every other year. Interestingly, Pitino averaged the same (one every other year) both at U of L and LPT.

Considering the stature of their programs, it's mythology that these two guys signed a high number of McDonald's AAs...

Reactions: earsky and Mayoman
Yeah,I know about those three.That's what I said.Re-read the post.They were complemented by the other 3.Don't know where Gordon,Smith and Jones were ranked out of high school,but they weren't HS All Americans.

Yes he jumped on you quick but didn't read your post thoroughly.

Mike still thinks the NBA trend of “super-squads” translates to college basketball. TEAMS take more than one 30-35 game season to truely build that special chemistry that wins games in March. A revolving door of talent does not benefit the program. For all the ridiculous wealth of talent UK has amassed since Cal took over, they have one title. I will always take me some Dejuan Wheat, Alvin Sims, Tick Rogers, Derek Smith, Russ Smith over the Jason Osbornes, the Derrick Characters, the Harrison Twins, the DeMarcus Cousins, the John Walls, The Nerlens Noels.

Nothing wrong with getting talent, but you need to do your homework and have a specific psych profile for the kids you want. And surround them with “underrated” kids with real work ethic and determination eager to prove themselves and won’t let some freshman come in and take their minutes without earning it in practice.

Not to mention, U of L is the LAST program nationally to tout the benefits of recruiting 5-star kids. We'd be better off if we'd never had one...

There weren't Rivals, Scout, and ESPN player ratings when Crum was recruiting. What you did have were McDonald's high school AA teams.

And U of L had a small number of players on those teams. By my count, Crum averaged one recruit every other year. Interestingly, Pitino averaged the same (one every other year) both at U of L and LPT.

Considering the stature of their programs, it's mythology that these two guys signed a high number of McDonald's AAs...
We had Street and Smith's College Basketball Guide and THAT was about it.

Reactions: Cue Card
Not to mention, U of L is the LAST program nationally to tout the benefits of recruiting 5-star kids. We'd be better off if we'd never had one...
So you would happy if we had not won the NCAA in 1980 and 1986 and gone to all those Final Fours?

Denny and Wade had their fare share of All Americans, but they recruited atheletes that fit their system !

Reactions: earsky
It’s easy to find out:

1977 - none
78 - Eaves, Scooter
79 - none
80 - none
81 - Wagner, Forrest
82 - Thompson
83 - sumpter? Really?
84 - Walls
85 - Kimbro, Ellison
86 - none
87 - LaBradford, Harmon
88 - none
89 - none
90 - C Rozier, Morton
91 - Keith LeGree?

Know what’s missing - C Jones, Gordon, Payne. Also missing guys like Winston Bennett (who I despised most from UK) and Houston really hurt Denny’s recruiting and may have led to another championship

It is a great myth that Denny won without high ranked recruits.

1980 champions
There was no McD AA team when Griff came out of high school but he would have been one. So basically, the 1980 team started 3 McD AA's to start the season. Rodney who wound up starting would have been a lower rated 5 star player. So after Scooter got hurt we still started three 5 stars on the 1980 team. Griff and Scooter had been high school players of the year. I think Poncho might have been a Parade AA.

1986 champions
Started 3 McD AA's including one player of the year plus Herb Crook who was rated #28 and Jeff Hall. Several 5 star guys on the bench.

Pitino's best team 2013 started 3 McD AA's plus 4 star Gorgui and 2 star Russ.

You win with talent not a team full of hidden gems.

You win with both, and I think Jay Wright is doing it the best, without getting into his classes. I know he gets a lot of kids in the 50-100 range.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT