ADVERTISEMENT

Yikes…

He doesn't want to run. He wants to throw and he has had many accurate passes over his career. You can watch on YouTube a bunch of games where he passed the ball very well.

But he has had his issues and nobody confuses him with Joe Burrow, but most of us know he has been hamstrung by his OC. He's not a 1st round draft pick but he's trying to be one by playing as hard as any player on the field.

If Satterfield feels Domann is playing better than by all means play him, but this idea that after being demoted, Malik is going to want to run routes with the receivers is yes, ridiculous.

The most logical and likely scenario will be Satterfield employing both like they do with the RB's. A series for Malik, a series for Domann and then see who's more successful in that game. Against Pitt, Malik may get more snaps and Domann gets more Against Wake.

But IMO once Malik is ready to go, he should take all the snaps with the improved play calling, regardless of who's holding the playcards.
You are in the minority if you think Malik can play qb in the NFL. I doubt even Malik thinks he can play qb in the NFL. And if you think he doesn't want to run you're not watching. There have been multiple, I mean multiple times over his career he made the wrong decision and ran the ball himself instead of handing it off to the RB.. That was either because he can't read the defense or he is being selfish and wanting to do it himself.

You are huh? I wonder what I could say that you would call ridiculous? I know, UofL should rehire Bobby Petrino, after all he has more success here than he had failure. How about Satterfield going to the wishbone offense and stop throwing the ball because our QB is so inaccurate?

Who out there would actually place a bet that we will see Malik play receiver this season?
Well, your comment that Malik doesn’t want to run comes really close!!!!

Reactions: SpotHogCard
No, no he wouldn’t but, I understand that you’re being sarcastic because no one who watches and understands P5 college football would suggest that a kid who either has never played the position or, has never played the position at this level would be better than D1 scholarship athletes that have played and been coached to play in the secondary for years simply based upon a perceived edge in speed or athleticism.

That would just be silly.
Of course I was being sarcastic and I really don't think he will be used at WR either but I would definitely put him in on the field with Domann to run some sets even if its just a decoy to give opposing coaches something else to think about whether it be a handoff run, direct snap RPO, screen pass or whatever. That's just where we are with this team. But one point you made I agree with is the defense is what really needs to improve. With the exception of Syracuse we've scored enough points to win if the D didn't get gashed on big pass plays..

I do not. Why would you infer that from anything I wrote? I don’t think any point I made said anything close to that.
Well it's very simple as you continue to say Malik won't play QB in the NFL, as if the criteria for Malik to continue starting is if he could play in the NFL. Why wouldn't that apply to Domann?

Just make your argument that you believe Domann is a better QB and leave it at that.

What I mean is Malik wants to throw before he wants to run. He knows his chances for the NFL require him to show he can pass the football.

He doesn't go out there wanting to run options or zone reads all game. He wants to throw the ball and runs because he knows he can avoid sacks and get first downs.

Now I agree his weakness is reading defenses and like I've said many times, there's lots of game footage of his career at Louisville where he performed a whole lot better than he has so far this season.

This is very much how Lamar was seen at Louisville. Every time his accuracy was off, someone somewhere would say he should move to receiver. Now it's obvious Malik is no Lamar but it's the same presumptuous attitude that some have about dual threat QB's.

Reactions: BPGhost
You are in the minority if you think Malik can play qb in the NFL. I doubt even Malik thinks he can play qb in the NFL. And if you think he doesn't want to run you're not watching. There have been multiple, I mean multiple times over his career he made the wrong decision and ran the ball himself instead of handing it off to the RB.. That was either because he can't read the defense or he is being selfish and wanting to do it himself.
I never said he would make a NFL roster, more that he could if he performed better or has good workouts. I said I didn't believe he would be drafted but you never know with dual threat QB's.

On zone reads it's all about rushing the ball, either with the RB or the QB. Those plays are called by Satterfield. Very rarely does that formation turn into a play action pass and when it does, it's again called by Satterfield.

Malik rushing the ball is because he can but there's no doubt in my mind he would rather be a pocket QB. Same as Lamar did. Problem is he needs to get better and hopefully the change in play calling will give him that opportunity.

There you go again Knuckle ….if you going to quote me do so with direct quotes and not your interpretations. I have never used the term “gadget plays”.

Do you actually watch the games, do you need more examples than Tucker executing a few of these incredibly effective plays as a slot receiver? If that is what you call a “gadget play” I will take everyone that we can get.

There you go again Knuckle ….if you going to quote me do so with direct quotes and not your interpretations. I have never used the term “gadget plays”.

Do you actually watch the games, do you need more examples than Tucker executing a few of these incredibly effective plays as a slot receiver? If that is what you call a “gadget play” I will take everyone that we can get.
Lol - either English is your second language (not that there’s anything wrong with that) or you need to slow down when reading other people’s posts and try to understand what’s being said rather than formulating your rebuttal.

If you think that having two QBs on the field and lining one up in the slot - or anywhere else for that matter - isn’t a complete gadget play - then you clearly don’t watch the games. A RB lining up in the slot is completely normal (ie - not a gadget play) considering the down and distance. I mean you are aware that RBs routinely catch passes - and not just when the backup QB is in - aren’t you? 🙄🤣

Reactions: Knucklehank1
I have to agree that citing Tucker from Syracuse as a example for Malik just doesn't make sense. Malik has only ever thrown footballs and ran with footballs. I don't think he's ever had a football thrown to him. Don't think he's ever run pass routes.

Dude - Malik is a QB. And for further emphasis - he’s a 6th year senior who has started 40+ games at UofL. If he’s not the starting QB then yes, he holds a clipboard until such time as he might be needed at QB again.

This isn’t PeeWee football for crissakes.
I think a better way of describing Malik is: He plays QB . While he has not progressed at all under CSS, I don't put that 100% on CSS, I would say that's a 50/50 type deal. He misses to many reads and fails to see open receivers, and I mean WIDE OPEN receivers.

I also agree with the poster that said Malik will never be a QB in the NFL. Malik is a good draw and a talking point for announcers, but they all know that he will not play QB at the next level. He will be drafted, but I think the NFL will tell him he will play "X" position but not at QB.

100% agree OldhamCard335,

Which is why Malik is not a good fit, nor will take he advantage of the style of offense we saw last weekend.

He wants to run the ball, his eyes rarely stay up when he feels pressure.

I've watched several possessions where I can see his eyes drop to the running lanes first even though it is a passing play; maybe that's why he misses so many reads and WIDE OPEN receivers.

If people would go back and watch some games, they would see how he almost ALWAYS checks the gaps first before his eyes come up, if they don't he locks on to the primary route. His eyes are very easy to read which is why teams with good secondaries contain our passing game so easily.

Last edited:
I don’t think Dohmann is the the answer. I think his game Saturday was good illustration of the importance of throwing under pressure.

I think Satterfields system requires a Sam Hartman or Armstrong kind of QB. Good arm with a good pocket presence with enough speed to create big plays with their feet. That is ideal for his system.
I don't think the sample size is big enough to conclusively say he is not the answer. How many snaps did he take before Malik got injured? Domann requires a different offensive set than Malik, i.e more pass blocking than run blocking. When he is in there the offense looks different. He needs more opportunity and its a shame SS didn't give him more.

Well it's very simple as you continue to say Malik won't play QB in the NFL, as if the criteria for Malik to continue starting is if he could play in the NFL. Why wouldn't that apply to Domann?

Just make your argument that you believe Domann is a better QB and leave it at that.
Malik won’t play QB in the NFL. Domann won’t play QB in the NFL. You won’t play QB in the NFL. Again, when did I indicate that Domann would play in the NFL? You’re misstating my opinion. I did not say that for Malik to continue starting he must be able to play in the NFL. I did say that Malik will never play QB in the NFL. If you would like to refute that, then have at it.
lastly, if you really think Malik wants to be a pocket passer and doesn’t want to run the ball that tells me that you play little attention to the actual game. Satt tried to make a pocket passer of Malik throughout the spring and fall by telling him he couldn’t run the ball. After the Syracuse game, Satt apologized to Malik for that strategy and decided to let Malik be Malik. That story is well documented. How many times do you need to see Malik pull the ball out of a RB’s belly to see that Malik enjoys keeping and running the ball? Malik rarely makes it to his second read before he gets happy feet and takes off. These statements are based on events that can be seen on the field on a weekly basis.
If you want to continue to discuss this that’s fine, but you’re not gonna change my mind and I’m not gonna change yours. That said, if you continue to misstate my points then don’t expect a reply. Not gonna play that game.

Malik won’t play QB in the NFL. Domann won’t play QB in the NFL. You won’t play QB in the NFL. Again, when did I indicate that Domann would play in the NFL? You’re misstating my opinion. I did not say that for Malik to continue starting he must be able to play in the NFL. I did say that Malik will never play QB in the NFL. If you would like to refute that, then have at it.
lastly, if you really think Malik wants to be a pocket passer and doesn’t want to run the ball that tells me that you play little attention to the actual game. Satt tried to make a pocket passer of Malik throughout the spring and fall by telling him he couldn’t run the ball. After the Syracuse game, Satt apologized to Malik for that strategy and decided to let Malik be Malik. That story is well documented. How many times do you need to see Malik pull the ball out of a RB’s belly to see that Malik enjoys keeping and running the ball? Malik rarely makes it to his second read before he gets happy feet and takes off. These statements are based on events that can be seen on the field on a weekly basis.
If you want to continue to discuss this that’s fine, but you’re not gonna change my mind and I’m not gonna change yours. That said, if you continue to misstate my points then don’t expect a reply. Not gonna play that game.
Relax Francis.

We're not that far off. I don't know Malik Cunningham and have never met him. I don't know what he thinks he wants to do. I just watch the games and I see a QB that has been around forever, who has had some awesome passing and rushing games. He was no doubt a rush first QB his first three seasons but I don't quite believe this is due to his preference. More like habit and the play calling. I remember before his junior year the off season talk was improving his passing and preparing for the draft. He knows his passing game is his way to the NFL.

Malik was told to stand in the pocket against Syracuse. He wanted to throw more and run less for the scouts. That's all I'm saying. Unfortunately, it was so bad against the 'Cuse, Satterfield had to abandon probably what they worked on all camp, after just one game.

This is why I believe Malik has been inconsistent throwing the ball since that game and of course Satterfield's clunky play calling doesn't help. Malik is pressing himself and that's why he's struggling.

I believe he wants to show he can be more accurate so regardless of how many times he rushes the ball going forward, to me most of that will be to avoid lost yards. Unless Satterfield goes back to zone reads and we get the same old thing.

These last 6 games is either about what's best for winning or what's best for Malik's pro chances. What will Satterfield do?

I love how people have gotten worked up about him answering the question if he called the plays. Jesus the man calls the plays and he takes advice from his coaches. He told everyone that last week. It was a different call sheet with Dohmann than Malik shocker.

Let’s give Dohmann and the players credit for executing plays. That doesn’t mean Dohmann is the guy. Virginia had zero film on him. In reality it probably broke some of Louisville tendencies. Hopefully the staff is growing in the comfort to mix things up.

I love how people have gotten worked up about him answering the question if he called the plays. Jesus the man calls the plays and he takes advice from his coaches. He told everyone that last week. It was a different call sheet with Dohmann than Malik shocker.

Let’s give Dohmann and the players credit for executing plays. That doesn’t mean Dohmann is the guy. Virginia had zero film on him. In reality it probably broke some of Louisville tendencies. Hopefully the staff is growing in the comfort to mix things up.
This is pretty simple, I'm glad the players executed well. They did it with a new QB.

Myself and others simply do not believe he was calling the plays as he claims.

This is pretty simple, I'm glad the players executed well. They did it with a new QB.

Myself and others simply do not believe he was calling the plays as he claims.
Sure didn’t look like the usual play calling. Maybe he did call the plays based on a totally different game plan devised by the other offensive coaches? Who knows. But with the comment he made, it sure looked like he was trying to grab all the credit for himself.

As a fan I think Dohmann is the better qb but Malik does have good skills as a runner. Malik apparently has a problem with passing the football. So perhaps we'll see this duo in future games in those roles. But I get paid exactly zero to make those decisions and think I'll let the guys that get paid megabucks make those decisions. But you can expect some criticism if that decision fails from the UofL fanbase.

GO CARDS!!!

As a fan I think Dohmann is the better qb but Malik does have good skills as a runner. Malik apparently has a problem with passing the football. So perhaps we'll see this duo in future games in those roles. But I get paid exactly zero to make those decisions and think I'll let the guys that get paid megabucks make those decisions. But you can expect some criticism if that decision fails from the UofL fanbase.

GO CARDS!!!
I have seen quite a bit of unbelievable statements about players in my day, but reading that someone has said Domann is the better QB than Malik Cunningham by far is the most unbelievable.

I mean where to start? Okay, how about Domann has played ONE game and that was against the worst team in the conference. I watched the game and that wasn't Joe Burrow out there.

Malik Cunningham is head and shoulders the better QB and his career stats prove it. He's had many big passing games that were much better than what Domann did against Virginia.

It's like fans have forgotten what Malik has accomplished. Yes, he's struggled a bit this season, but that can be resolved and probably will be as long as he's healthy.

Regardless if he does or not, for Brock Domann to be considered the better QB, he has to lead the Cards to some victories in these last six games. Prove it by performing at a higher level against a higher level of opponent.

Remember Evan Conley as a freshman against Wake Forest? Very similar to what Domann did and no one thought he was better than Malik. I doubt we even see much more of Domann unless Malik can't go.

I saw Domann's performance vs. BC and and his two interceptions in 1st quarter vs. UVA. His name shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Malik.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT