ADVERTISEMENT

WR Milton Wright commits to Purdue

How could he sign early when it is not signing period? Anybody can verbally commit but anybody can decommit. Maybe I missed something down the road.

Reactions: Deeva
How could he sign early when it is not signing period? Anybody can verbally commit but anybody can decommit. Maybe I missed something down the road.

There are two signing periods. Mid December and February. He’d likely sign when Purdue was in the midst of practice for their bowl game.

National signing period for college football is February 6th. Early signing period for college football is late December so nobody signed a letter to anywhere yet.

Reactions: Deeva
Jeff Brohm talking about his future at Purdue, the program in general. Not sure if a ton of people have seen this one. He doesn't seem to be in a crazy rush to go anywhere.
https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...hink-people-realize-how-good-here/1768741002/

Without opening the link let me guess. He loves it there, his family loves it there, they really feel welcomed by the community, people outside of here don’t realize how great we have it here, yada yada yada

Without opening the link let me guess. He loves it there, his family loves it there, they really feel welcomed by the community, people outside of here don’t realize how great we have it here, yada yada yada
He didn't say anything like that, I think he was speaking to his optimism about the program as a whole. I think the more important thing is the approach to being asked about recruiting, and how he's addressing recruits regarding whether or not he stays or goes, I don't think Purdue would've landed the recruits they've landed if they didn't know for sure that the guy recruiting them was just going to pack up and leave. We'll just have to see what happens.

He didn't say anything like that, I think he was speaking to his optimism about the program as a whole. I think the more important thing is the approach to being asked about recruiting, and how he's addressing recruits regarding whether or not he stays or goes, I don't think Purdue would've landed the recruits they've landed if they didn't know for sure that the guy recruiting them was just going to pack up and leave. We'll just have to see what happens.

So ... Nick Saban retires after this year, and they decide to go after Brohm, but he’s not leaving Purdue because he assured a bunch of players that committed to him and signed to play for him?

Please. This is much more about your inability to understand how much the Louisville job and program means to Jeff Brohm than it is anything else. He’s a man of integrity, so he’s going to do the very best job he can for Purdue for as long as he is your coach. As a public figure, that includes saying all the right things when asked stupid questions by naive reporters about his loyalty to your program.

Jeff Brohm grew up a Louisville fan. His talents, as well as those of his father and brothers built this program. He came into his college years at the time when Howard Schnellenberger had built UofL football into a national program, capable of beating programs like Michigan State, Texas, and Alabama.

He’s not going to stay at Purdue when he has the opportunity to come to Louisville and complete Howard’s dream of winning a national championship here.

Reactions: Mayoman
I am not convinced Brohm is a guarantee. The one thing Tyra better do if he fires Petrino this weekend is call Brohm's agent ask him a simple question will he come? If he truly not interested Tyra need to publicly eliminate the speculation about Brohm. I am going to wager one, if not the first question will be, after Tyra says Petrino will be fired, is Brohm a candidate. If Brohm has no interest then say it because the fanbase expectation is Brohm is coming.

The last thing you want to happen is a Tennessee coach search. The vibe especially with this team is toxic. The fanbase is just mad about the scandals now with coaches and players. Let's face it this maybe a tough coaching search.

I am not convinced Brohm is a guarantee. The one thing Tyra better do if he fires Petrino this weekend is call Brohm's agent ask him a simple question will he come? If he truly not interested Tyra need to publicly eliminate the speculation about Brohm. I am going to wager one, if not the first question will be, after Tyra says Petrino will be fired, is Brohm a candidate. If Brohm has no interest then say it because the fanbase expectation is Brohm is coming.

The last thing you want to happen is a Tennessee coach search. The vibe especially with this team is toxic. The fanbase is just mad about the scandals now with coaches and players. Let's face it this maybe a tough coaching search.
I would hope Tyra has made that call already or he really is as incompetent as Zipp says. Brohm isn't going to address the job while Purdue is still playing so Tyra doesn't need to put that pressure on him. At this point you just have to get the season over with

With his (lack of) experience, Tyra could easily screw this thing up worse.
...[Brohm]’s a man of integrity, so he’s going to do the very best job he can for Purdue for as long as he is your coach...
This is precisely the reason I think the Milton Wright commitment now means Brohm ain't coming to U of L...

This is precisely the reason I think the Milton Wright commitment now means Brohm ain't coming to U of L...

I agree completely.

I don't think that at all as a matter of fact the longer Louisville takes to announce their letting CBP go the more than likely it is Brohm. Once again Wright didn't sign a letter of intent it is only a verbal. If Brohm leaves he can follow Brohm wherever he goes.

I hope PUSHUPMAN knows someone and is speaking from a position of authority on Jeff Brohm. If it is not Brohm, I fear ZIPP's fear of Tyra being in over his head will come true. If he doesn't get Brohm to come, there will be a lot of fans disappointed and the many who are just hoping Tyra will succeed will have another reason to doubt his abilities.

Brohm is not the only coach out there, I get that. But anyone reading these boards and seeing sports writers opinion pieces know that anyone not named Brohm is not going to excite the base, nor will any other coach get the financial support this football team is gonna need to get back up off the mat.

I don't think that at all as a matter of fact the longer Louisville takes to announce their letting CBP go the more than likely it is Brohm. Once again Wright didn't sign a letter of intent it is only a verbal. If Brohm leaves he can follow Brohm wherever he goes.

You realize Wright would likely sign when Purdue is in the midst of their bowl game practices right?

I hope PUSHUPMAN knows someone and is speaking from a position of authority on Jeff Brohm. If it is not Brohm, I fear ZIPP's fear of Tyra being in over his head will come true. If he doesn't get Brohm to come, there will be a lot of fans disappointed and the many who are just hoping Tyra will succeed will have another reason to doubt his abilities.

Brohm is not the only coach out there, I get that. But anyone reading these boards and seeing sports writers opinion pieces know that anyone not named Brohm is not going to excite the base, nor will any other coach get the financial support this football team is gonna need to get back up off the mat.

This.

Stop confusing what you hope happens with whats actually going to happen. No coach ever has said that they aren't committed and are just waiting for the right job publicly. I go back to Strong saying that he couldn't leave the team after he was basically out the door and we matched Tenn's offer. By the time Milton can sign even in the early period, the announcement of it he was taking the UofL job would already happen. Its not 100% that he is leaving because Purdue could always match our offer but whatever happens with Brohm, Petrino needs to go. If Brohm turns us down, Ryan Day needs to be out next call.

Reactions: BPGhost

As long as we don't have Phil Fulmer making a power play behind the scenes it should go better than the UT job search did. UT brought it on themselves also by going after unavailable people. They still ended up with a good candidate in Jeremy Foley who is probably who they should have gone after anyhow.

Stop confusing what you hope happens with whats actually going to happen. No coach ever has said that they aren't committed and are just waiting for the right job publicly. I go back to Strong saying that he couldn't leave the team after he was basically out the door and we matched Tenn's offer. By the time Milton can sign even in the early period, the announcement of it he was taking the UofL job would already happen. Its not 100% that he is leaving because Purdue could always match our offer but whatever happens with Brohm, Petrino needs to go. If Brohm turns us down, Ryan Day needs to be out next call.
You're confusing my point...

I think Brohm's a quality guy, and of course he remains publicly committed to Purdue as he should. When a kid wants to commit, he calls the coach before anyone else besides family knows. Brohm had that opportunity with Wright. And instead of telling the kid to wait a few weeks and closer to early NSD, it was OK for Wright to go ahead and commit.

That indicates to me that Brohm-to-Louisville talk may well be misplaced. Otherwise, Brohm leaves for U of L and the kid has to change his mind and follow. It's too close to NSD. Why would Brohm put Purdue and Wright thru that? Makes no sense...

I don't agree with you much when it comes to Tyra, but in this case I do. He is going to have to manage this especially if Brohm isn't coming.

I posted on another site that this is a bad omen. I agree with Zipp, Brohm is building a quality program at a Big 10 school, he's not coming home. We talk a lot abut his love for home, his alma mater etc...but we also forget how badly burned his entire family was over Steve Friggin Kragthorpe. Not a proud moment for TJ.

Reactions: Mclovin-
I posted on another site that this is a bad omen. I agree with Zipp, Brohm is building a quality program at a Big 10 school, he's not coming home. We talk a lot abut his love for home, his alma mater etc...but we also forget how badly burned his entire family was over Steve Friggin Kragthorpe. Not a proud moment for TJ.

They don’t hold that against UofL. There was some animosity towards TJ but that had mostly dissipated as well.

Reactions: BPGhost
Just a terrible - and incorrect - take on the situation.

You're confusing my point...

I think Brohm's a quality guy, and of course he remains publicly committed to Purdue as he should. When a kid wants to commit, he calls the coach before anyone else besides family knows. Brohm had that opportunity with Wright. And instead of telling the kid to wait a few weeks and closer to early NSD, it was OK for Wright to go ahead and commit.

That indicates to me that Brohm-to-Louisville talk may well be misplaced. Otherwise, Brohm leaves for U of L and the kid has to change his mind and follow. It's too close to NSD. Why would Brohm put Purdue and Wright thru that? Makes no sense...

All coaches are liars to some degree. Maybe I'm just cynical as you usually seem to be also but I can't see Brohm realistically telling a player to hold off because I might jump ship in a few weeks. He risks Wright then telling the world what Brohm said to him. He also risks losing Wright if he does end up staying at Purdue but was going to field offers.

All coaching changes happen this time of year and this close to NSD. I can easily seeing Brohm putting Purdue through that if he wants to take the Louisville job. Coaches are mercenaries.

All coaches are liars to some degree. Maybe I'm just cynical as you usually seem to be also but I can't see Brohm realistically telling a player to hold off because I might jump ship in a few weeks. He risks Wright then telling the world what Brohm said to him. He also risks losing Wright if he does end up staying at Purdue but was going to field offers.

All coaching changes happen this time of year and this close to NSD. I can easily seeing Brohm putting Purdue through that if he wants to take the Louisville job. Coaches are mercenaries.
No Coach in the world would stop recruiting a player based on some job that might come open. Plus - they’re being paid, so they would be derelict by doing so. Anyone that thinks that they would - doesn’t understand the job.

No Coach in the world would stop recruiting a player based on some job that might come open. Plus - they’re being paid, so they would be derelict by doing so. Anyone that thinks that they would - doesn’t understand the job.

So when does Milton flip to UL?

Reactions: Nieman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT