ADVERTISEMENT

Wow!

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Heading into spring practice, Alabama has 19 five star players and 49 four star on the roster. That's nearly 80 percent of their roster. That my friends is how you win four titles in seven years. And the strange thing is, all of that without a true star QB leading the way.

Meanwhile, Todd Shays is projecting 3-star (5.7) Rivals recruit Sheldon Rankins as a 10th overall NFL draft pick in 2016.

Yes, highly rated recruits out of the top 300-500 players are a thing.

No, having a lot of 3-stars doesn't preclude doing a "real nice job" as a football program. Things get a hell of a lot less accurate after that easily-rated upper echelon.

Meanwhile, Todd Shays is projecting 3-star (5.7) Rivals recruit Sheldon Rankins as a 10th overall NFL draft pick in 2016.

Yes, highly rated recruits out of the top 300-500 players are a thing.

No, having a lot of 3-stars doesn't preclude doing a "real nice job" as a football program. Things get a hell of a lot less accurate after that easily-rated upper echelon.

Better yet Rivals 5.7 3* and Rivals 77th Best WR in 2011 went 14th Overall in the 2015 NFL Draft...his name DeVante Parker...not to mention at pair of Rivals NR or 2* Players by the names of Khalil Mack and JJ Watt...arguably the two best defensive players in Pro Football.

Reactions: LockdownCard
It really does boil down to the Jimmy's and Joe's. The thing I love about Petrino you have to compete for your job every day and every week. He never has played the favorite game. The elite coaches have that mentality. When you have a roster full of studs and they really have to compete for their playing that team is going to be very good. Alabama practices, everyday, have to be incredibly intense. It really is amazing they haven't had many internal issues in that competitive environment.

The biggest advantage is depth, lose one plug in another. Louisville doesn't have that luxury.

Louisville, Coach Strong and Coach P have done an incredible job finding under rated players then developed them. Louisville doesn't get many 4 star players but they have had their share of highly rated 3 stars. Louisville has more success in getting those players to the NFL than anyone even Alabama. Alabama 68 legit 4/5 star players and less than 10% will make it to the NFL. In 2014/2015 they had 15 players drafted, Louisville has had 14 players drafted.

Louisville has had 42 players since 2010 players rated 5.7 or above by rivals.
2010-4
2011-8
2012-4
2013-7
2014-3
2015-6
2016-9-I have McRae as a 4 star because that was his rating out of high school

That is what you call finding talent and developing talent.

Keenan Reynolds - No star - No rating.

Arguably should have won, or at least made the trip, for the Heisman.

The schools with the talent pool in their backyard have the edge regardless the ratings.

There's a TON of talent out there that none of us have ever heard of.

Heading into spring practice, Alabama has 19 five star players and 49 four star on the roster. That's nearly 80 percent of their roster. That my friends is how you win four titles in seven years. And the strange thing is, all of that without a true star QB leading the way.
Even Stoops could get those guys to a Bowl Game!

Of all the sports, baseball has it right. You can be drafted right out of high school, but if you stay and go to college you stay for 3 years. Now I could see an argument for two years but according to van Grundy, the NBA is seeing a lot guys who go early, but don't last 2-3 years. The surmise is you should be ready to play when you are drafted, not if you are going to develop in 2-3 years because you may not last. If you need more development, do it in college.

You guys have to agree that everyone here would be excited as all get out if the Cards were signing a top 10 class with seven 4 star recruits and four 5 star guys. I know the star rankings have not always been spot on but most of the time they are. Lamar Jackson was a 4 star and we all see why.

I was just amazed when I read that article about Alabama's 2016 roster. I can't imagine 80 percent of the 85 players being 4 and 5 star recruits at Louisville...or anywhere. I knew the Tide always signs great recruits but I never knew just how awesome it's been down there.

That just means as a coach, any recruiting mistakes are not noticed! It always helps to start with better Tomatoes

So if I take this right, Alabama in football is doing what UK does in bball.
I think that is a fair comparison. The only difference is Alabama has actually won multiple titles in a much tougher sports because of the volume of players needed.

Well, as much as I detest UK I think if their recruits played for three seasons, they would have more than one title. Alabama football would not have won all those titles the past few years if they had one and done in football.

Reactions: cardfaninmemphis
You guys have to agree that everyone here would be excited as all get out if the Cards were signing a top 10 class with seven 4 star recruits and four 5 star guys.
Of course we would. But most of us know it AIN'T going to happen.

Regardless how we do on the field. We are NOT going to get a lot of highly ranked guys out of these other schools back yards year after year. Geography and history say so.

We may very well have years where we get more than usual, but on a consistent basis we should be excited as all get out to have a top 30 class. With some success we may get into the top 25. Then...we have to hope that they develop, like other classes have, into a top 10 - 15 on the field.

CBP knows what he wants to do. He knows what he needs to do it.

FWIW...an "insider", "friend of the program", or whatever yo want to call him, told me last night that "the staff is REALLY excited about some of our signees.

We just gotta hope it pans out. And it's panning out better for us than a LOT of other programs.

Reactions: WKCard and Mayoman
I don't know if it is possible to be disappointed in last season's signing day haul. Good Lord, we had freshmen doing wonderful things all season.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
Alabama practices, everyday, have to be incredibly intense. It really is amazing they haven't had many internal issues in that competitive environment.

I think that probably has to do with the character of the kids they recruit and the culture of the program. I have heard more than one Alabama player more or less brag about the fact that at Alabama, 4-star kids are redshirted. That kind of mindset prevents a lot of problems.

But, otherwise I agree with the general gist of this thread that the star ratings are useful to some extent, but not at all determinative. It is nice Alabama has six straight #1 classes. It would be nicer if they had six straight national titles.

CardLaw, four out of seven national titles is pretty freakin close to six straight. Close enough to not make a point out of it. Clearly the star rating system, or any rating system, doesn't always get it right, but it is obvious if you can stockpile the human capital at the top of the rating system, you will fare dramatically better on a regular basis than those who only occasionally get a player of that potential magnitude and otherwise have to find the rough diamonds and coach them up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT