ADVERTISEMENT

Would 10-2 work for you?

Not having seen the OLine play at least 6 games, I would consider that a great season.

As to any losses to teams not named Clemson, FSU & Houston, until a team really learns how to "win" and play an "even keel" season - expect upsets. Hope for a 12-0, but don't expect to not get some dribbles on your shoes Cue. :) :D

Reactions: Cue Card
I believe if fla st is using a freshman quarterback even though he maybe a dual threat qb we have an advantage because our defense see, this in practice everyday.

I think we go 10-3 on the year including the bowl game. And five years from now, none of us will remember how we got there...

That could be 10-2 on the regular season, and a loss to a pretty good bowl team, maybe on New Years Day.

Or 9-3 before the bowl, and a win against a slightly lesser team in a lesser bowl. Same won-lost record on the season.

Petrino's career stats were posted here awhile back. His teams seldom get upset or pull off upsets. That says 10-3 is about right. And as part of a total sports program, I pretty much view any double-digit win season as good...

I believe if fla st is using a freshman quarterback even though he maybe a dual threat qb we have an advantage because our defense see, this in practice everyday.

The problem there is that if you are focusing your defense on stopping FSUs dual threat QB, Dalvin Cook will be running for 300 yards and 5 TDs. I don't think there's any doubt that we're going to have to score a lot of points to win that game.

10-2 would be outstanding, especially if either Clemson or FSU is among the 10 wins.

Yeah, the Cards "should" be favored in all games except 3 but some of those favorite roles will be by about 7 or 8 points...IOW very lose-able games if you are not focused and don't take care of business. JMO

Peace

We need a 10-2 season with one of those wins being against Florida State or Clemson and no bad losses. So lets say we beat FST at home and lost to Clemson and Houston on the road. That would be a pretty darn good season. We could possibly be in the ACC Championship game under that scenario.

The important thing is that the program keep moving forward. BP has created some Buzz around the country. I have heard several National media people(including David Pollack who usually disses UL at every opportunity) name UL as a dark horse for the playoffs. If we can deliver this type of season it will pave the way for some really good recruiting classes that will allow us to keep moving forward. However, if we drop the ball that buzz could die quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
We need a 10-2 season with one of those wins being against Florida State or Clemson and no bad losses. So lets say we beat FST at home and lost to Clemson and Houston on the road. That would be a pretty darn good season. We could possibly be in the ACC Championship game under that scenario.

The important thing is that the program keep moving forward. BP has created some Buzz around the country. I have heard several National media people(including Frank Pollack who usually disses UL at every opportunity) name UL as a dark horse for the playoffs. If we can deliver this type of season it will pave the way for some really good recruiting classes that will allow us to keep moving forward. However, if we drop the ball that buzz could die quickly.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

The important thing is that the program keep moving forward. BP has created some Buzz around the country. I have heard several National media people(including Frank Pollack who usually disses UL at every opportunity) name UL as a dark horse for the playoffs. If we can deliver this type of season it will pave the way for some really good recruiting classes that will allow us to keep moving forward. However, if we drop the ball that buzz could die quickly.
We owe Houston after last year. I think the kids will be fired up, and ready to play against the Cougars. I like their head coach a lot so I'm not taking anything for granted, but I think the Cards will have a decent shot when they play the Cougars.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
We owe Houston after last year. I think the kids will be fired up, and ready to play against the Cougars. I like their head coach a lot so I'm not taking anything for granted, but I think the Cards will have a decent shot when they play the Cougars.
My son will be a Freshmen at UH this year. I helped him move into his dorm room yesterday. I got pretty pumped as I drove by their football stadium. I already have my tickets for that game. Should be a great game. I hope we take them down. Won't be easy though.

The Houston game will be tough for many reasons. Looking at their schedule they have an open date, then Tulane five days prior to us. That sets up nice for them, while our open date is on 10/8 and I believe we have Wake at home five days prior to Houston.

Upset? No. Disappointed, yes. Want and NEED that breakthrough victory over FSU or Clemson and preferably both but right to expect it? No such expectation, but we will have a truly legit shot to best both in 2016 for the first time.

Other posters have said "depends on who" but Mandel specifically predicts losses to FSU at home and Clemson away (Clemson has 1 loss in Mandel's standings and FSU 0). He believes we'll defeat Houston on the road, too.

Stewart Mandel predicts the ACC. I mean, I'd prefer 12-0, but I won't be upset at 10-2.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...c-clemson-florida-state-stewart-mandel-081816

A road win vs Houston would be outstanding. Yes, I would love a win against either FSU or Clemson but they are top 10 type teams and we will have our hands full with both of them. And of course, Houston. I also think the ACC will be sneaky good so we'll need to be very careful about those schools on our schedule.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless Amereica!!!

A road win vs Houston would be outstanding. Yes, I would love a win against either FSU or Clemson but they are top 10 type teams and we will have our hands full with both of them. And of course, Houston. I also think the ACC will be sneaky good so we'll need to be very careful about those schools on our schedule.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless Amereica!!!
I think Duke and UVA will be tougher games than most people expect.

Reactions: fredburgcard
A road win vs Houston would be outstanding. Yes, I would love a win against either FSU or Clemson but they are top 10 type teams and we will have our hands full with both of them. And of course, Houston. I also think the ACC will be sneaky good so we'll need to be very careful about those schools on our schedule...
About the right slant IMO.

I understand that Petrino is embracing the fans' high "expectations"... 10+ wins, national championship, etc. But that doesn't mean we have a legit right to expect those things. When impartial bystanders are by consensus picking an opponent to beat us, you're really just fanboy saying you expect that win anyway.

Disappointment is a different sentiment. A true fan is at least somewhat disappointed with every loss, and that shouldn't change if you want to be successful. Who doesn't want to go undefeated?

Just defining terms...

Reactions: gocds
We have to beat FSU or Clemson this year. At least 1 of them. So if we go 10-2 and lose to both Clemson and FSU I don't think we prove anything other than we will always be the third team in the ACC.

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world if we get to the point where we're expected to be "the" #3 team in the league annually.

Sure, everybody wants to be #1 or if not, #2. But look at who we're competing against.

And saying we're "the" #3 team puts us in position to have some years where we actually do better than our long-term position. Clemson has been considered the #2 team in the league for years, yet they were able to get to the National Championship game last year. We could follow a similar path.

I'd love to see someone draw a line and say the ACC is "FSU, Clemson, Louisville, and everybody else."

Not this crap again! Of course we'll be happy with 10-2. And I don't care who the 10 are and who the 2 are. Some of you are ridiculous. Do you know how rare 10-2 seasons are for this program and now we're playing in probably the toughest division in CFB outside the SEC-W? FSU, Clemson and Houston (2 of which are on the road and the other is a consensus top 3-5 team) and some of you will be disappointed? Good grief.

I'd be quite happy with a 10-2 record in this conference. Just long one of those two losses isn't to UK. :D

@zipp Those are my feeling regarding it all. If you want respect in the ACC, you have to earn it by beating the teams. I personally don't like this "We'll dominate the ACC" mentality *some* fans have had since day 1.

Last edited:
Win every game damn it! Did you not hear Bobby speak at the kick off lunch last week? If he can say it, than I certainly will too. Win the National Championship!

Not this crap again! Of course we'll be happy with 10-2. And I don't care who the 10 are and who the 2 are. Some of you are ridiculous. Do you know how rare 10-2 seasons are for this program and now we're playing in probably the toughest division in CFB outside the SEC-W? FSU, Clemson and Houston (2 of which are on the road and the other is a consensus top 3-5 team) and some of you will be disappointed? Good grief.

You're right. 10-2 is rare for this program. 2013:12-1, 2012:11-2, 2006:12-1, 2004:11-1. None of us are going to jump off the Lincoln Bridge should the Cards finish 10-2 in the regular season. A lot of us, however, are ready for the program to make the next step. If that's "crap" or "ridiculous," guilty as charged.

You're right. 10-2 is rare for this program. 2013:12-1, 2012:11-2, 2006:12-1, 2004:11-1. None of us are going to jump off the Lincoln Bridge should the Cards finish 10-2 in the regular season. A lot of us, however, are ready for the program to make the next step. If that's "crap" or "ridiculous," guilty as charged.
Can't be optimistic. Jay won't allow it. He's the know all be all regarding how everyone should feel. So with that in mind, it's always going to be "ridiculous" and "crap" in his eyes. How dare you?

And in none of those years did we play anyone much of note.

Can't be optimistic. Jay won't allow it. He's the know all be all regarding how everyone should feel. So with that in mind, it's always going to be "ridiculous" and "crap" in his eyes. How dare you?

Nope just heard that same crap last year (Dark horse playoff contender, loaded at all positions, etc., etc.) I prefer to see it first before I start complaining about 10-2. Again, some of you are really no different than the UK types. There's reason for optimism but this team would do very very well at 10-2. As it were I am calling 8-4 which is what I said last year. Some of you act like we're elite at this point when we aren't. We'll be decided underdogs in 3 games.

If one of the losses was the unthinkable- LPT- then I would consider 10-2 a dismal failure and place CBP squarely on the hot seat. Otherwise, 10-2 is a good record with our schedule.

10-2 with a loss to UK means we're 2-1 vs FSU, @UH, @ CU. You think CBP is on the hotseat in that scenario? You're wacked.

Vegas has the Cards win total at 8.5 which I take to mean 8-4 or 9-3 regular season. 10-2 would be exceptional, but I will still be PO'ed if 1 of the 2 losses (if we end up 10-2) is against the UofK. I can't stomach the thought of losing to that football program plus IF that scenario turned out to be true, then it would mean the Cards were 10-1 going into that game which means they would probably be top 4. Losing out on a shot at the playoffs by losing to UofK makes me sick even to think about. Excuse me while I go throw up. :confused:

Reactions: SoulSr and Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT