ADVERTISEMENT

Worst P5 conference of all time?

carddead13

New Poster, Show Me Love
Aug 30, 2009
After listening to Kentucky fans talk about how they can play their way into a two seed, I began to wonder how any credence can be given to any of their wins the rest of the year, including their conference tournament . I honestly cannot think of the worst conference in the last 15 years. They like to talk about how bad every other conference is during football season, but they forget how bad their own basketball conference is. Honestly, the SEC deserves only one bid this year. I know South Carolina will get one but their schedule has been an absolute joke. I guess Vandy and Fla will get in, but certainly not because of a great body of work. The sad thing is, there is no excuse for these schools to be so bad. They have great recruiting bases and have all the advantages built in by their football programs. Thank god we can win games in our strong conference and have good records and success so we don't have to sound like UK during football season- "but we play in the best conference and that's why we can't win"

The other schools in the SEC (with the exception of Vandy) suffer from the reverse of what UK does - they don't care about basketball. What Donovan was able to do at Florida was unbelievable. Imagine that guy at a school like U of L? The sky would be the limit. The overall coaching in the SEC for the most part if awful too. Kennedy at A&M looks like an up and comer, but outside Cal, who in the SEC would anyone feel great about hiring?

The entire SEC - outside the possible exception of Florida - faces their ignorance at raising their basketball game in a complete inverse proportion to the way UK faces getting better in football, lol. It becomes "stupid squared" as they run aground on the same rocks, time after time. Only, this time, the entire conference is the Titanic with one top 20 team in UK, themselves barely hanging on to legitimacy..

The entire SEC - outside the possible exception of Florida - faces their ignorance at raising their basketball game in a complete inverse proportion to the way UK faces getting better in football, lol. It becomes "stupid squared" as they run aground on the same rocks, time after time. Only, this time, the entire conference is the Titanic with one top 20 team in UK, themselves barely hanging on to legitimacy..

Excellent use of hyperbole here senore. :D

I live in Big 12 country and I get so tired of hearing how great the mighty Big 12 is. So I asked a couple of Kansas fans to pick any number of years (they chose 25) to go back on and use the following formula to see what the better conferences are:

Give a conference points for the following:

3 points for NCAA Champ
2 points for NCAA Runner up
1 point for making the final four
1 point for every different team that made a NCAA tourny appearance.
1 point for every different team that has won that conference.

They were shocked at the results as they pertain to the Big 12 and SEC.

Give Louisville's points in the AAC to either the Big East or ACC (doesn't matter to me)

I live in Big 12 country and I get so tired of hearing how great the mighty Big 12 is. So I asked a couple of Kansas fans to pick any number of years (they chose 25) to go back on and use the following formula to see what the better conferences are:

Give a conference points for the following:

3 points for NCAA Champ
2 points for NCAA Runner up
1 point for making the final four
1 point for every different team that made a NCAA tourny appearance.
1 point for every different team that has won that conference.

They were shocked at the results as they pertain to the Big 12 and SEC.

Give Louisville's points in the AAC to either the Big East or ACC (doesn't matter to me)
The Big12 just went 7-3 against your conference, and that's with the 3 worst SEC teams not being involved.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
It's a bad conference. Outside of Kentucky, only Florida has had a period of sustained excellence that lasted more than a few years. As long as football is king, it will always be this way. You'll have one program pop up from time to time that has a little run but only UK will be great.

Contrast that with the ACC for example, where you have 3 all time great programs and a few others that have been very good recently.

If you look at tourney results though, the B12, PAC, and B1G are all pretty bad. Those 3 conferences have combined for 2 national titles since 2000 (assuming you credit Maryland's 2002 title to the ACC.)The PAC hasn't won a title since 1997 and the B1G hasn't won a title since 2000. So apparently, being a better conference than the SEC doesn't necessarily mean much in March.

The Big12 just went 7-3 against your conference, and that's with the 3 worst SEC teams not being involved.
You do know that 1 of those wins was in OT and 1 was a 2 point win? So 4 points from it being 5-5, and that being against what most ppl think is the best conference. And do you know what the SEC's record against the ACC this year?

You do know that 1 of those wins was in OT and 1 was a 2 point win? So 4 points from it being 5-5, and that being against what most ppl think is the best conference. And do you know what the SEC's record against the ACC this year?
No I don't, I do know this much though.

South Carolina beat Clemson

Kentucky won @ Rupp...on a missed...game winning shot by Louisville.

Florida lost to both FSU and Miami.

Wake Forest won @ LSU

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT