ADVERTISEMENT

WKU

Bardman

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Kind of thinking the Cards are missing another mid-week game.

I had a feeling we were going to have to score some runs today to win this game. Let's see what we got.

Just surprised they are playing. Not sure why…when you have Napleton available why would you use EKjr as your DH?

Reactions: earsky
Can no one except Beard and Humphrey’s put a charge on the ball? This is ridiculous all the little dribblers.

Guys like King and McCoy are a waste imo. If you can’t hit the ball at their size you shouldn’t be on the roster.

Little league baserunning strategy against a good team probably cost us a win in this one. Lippe tries to “steal third” in the 7th on a 5-3 ground out. Why do that when you’ve got two .300+ hitters due up with a great chance to drive in a run?

Little league baserunning strategy against a good team probably cost us a win in this one. Lippe tries to “steal third” in the 7th on a 5-3 ground out. Why do that when you’ve got two .300+ hitters due up with a great chance to drive in a run?
Well it was dumb but he would have made it to 3rd with 2 outs anyway. The chance of us getting a hit today in that situation is slim.

Reactions: PushupMan
We're not doing too well stealing 3rd are we? I wish Mac would abandon that one. 😕

Leaving runners on base (LOB) explains the loss. There were several instances where we got infield ground ball hits, so striking out was inexcusable.

Reactions: rh62531
Leaving runners on base (LOB) explains the loss. There were several instances where we got infield ground ball hits, so striking out was inexcusable.
💯. This is a significant problem for this team!! Too many times this year they leave multiple runners on-base and in scoring position. Just can’t keep doing that and expect to win. They did it against NC St too and just got lucky.

💯. This is a significant problem for this team!! Too many times this year they leave multiple runners on-base and in scoring position. Just can’t keep doing that and expect to win. They did it against NC St too and just got lucky.
That is a carry over from last year too. I bet we lead college baseball the last 2 years in runners left on base.

On the flippity-flop. Road game, cruddy weather and WKU won their Dallas Baptist series. Not a horrible loss I suppose.

On the flippity-flop. Road game, cruddy weather and WKU won their Dallas Baptist series. Not a horrible loss I suppose.
No that's right. And we just come off huge series sweep high,catching a program that circles this game. Reset and get ready for the Cavs.

Come on now. Losing to WKU? No way this loss should be excused or spun. We have already lost to other midmajors this season. The Louisville of a few years ago would have taken it personally losing to this many midmajors.

Truth is this team is inconsistent and is performing like a midmajor program. They had more than enough opportunities to score more than 3 runs and couldn't do it against the Hilltoppers.

McDonnell just doesn't have the quality of players he has won all those games with.

Come on now. Losing to WKU? No way this loss should be excused or spun. We have already lost to other midmajors this season. The Louisville of a few years ago would have taken it personally losing to this many midmajors.

Truth is this team is inconsistent and is performing like a midmajor program. They had more than enough opportunities to score more than 3 runs and couldn't do it against the Hilltoppers.

McDonnell just doesn't have the quality of players he has won all those games with.
This is kinda where I'm at. We used to feast on teams like WKU. We've been mediocre at best the last 4 years. We're not the program we used to be. If you listen to some people it's because we didn't a practice facility🥴

There are currently a dozen 'mid major' teams in RPI top 40. Trying to make losing to mid major teams analogous to losing to them in football or even basketball just isn't the same. Sure,when we were in the top 5 annually we smoked everybody that wasn't in P6 conference(but not always when it mattered the most).
Y'all beating a dead horse here because we're nowhere near being top 5 lately. We ALL know that. Who's got the answers for getting us back there?

Y'all beating a dead horse here because we're nowhere near being top 5 lately. We ALL know that. Who's got the answers for getting us back there?
The fact that we're not a top 5 team anymore is exactly the point. Coach Dan set the standard and he's still the coach. What is he not doing ?

For one, I don't think we're getting the type of player we used to get. And two, since covid the winning culture has not been what it used to be. Not sure what the issue is but winning and losing, fair or not, always falls on coaching, so coach Dan needs to pick it up.

Reactions: TheRealVille
The fact that we're not a top 5 team anymore is exactly the point. Coach Dan set the standard and he's still the coach. What is he not doing ?

For one, I don't think we're getting the type of player we used to get. And two, since covid the winning culture has not been what it used to be. Not sure what the issue is but winning and losing, fair or not, always falls on coaching, so coach Dan needs to pick it up.
I don't disagree but I don't know what he's supposed to do. This Sophomore class came in ranked 3rd. They need to play but Covid has kept guys lingering in the system too long. That's not how it's worked in the past. If he's not going to play guys like Moore and Dickerson (both drafted I believe) then we're going down with the ship on these 4-5 year guys. Losing to Western doesn't eat me up so much as how it happened.
They will have to improve in that area this weekend in yet another huge series. Do we keep improving on the sweep or more of what we've been seeing over the last four years?
Btw,you guys aren't the only ones feeling pain with this program right now. Ask my wife what it's been like around here lately for her. 😆
I'm not gonna be here forever and I'm literally dying to see the National Championship come here for the first time ever.

Last edited:
Blows me away when people just don’t accept other teams are not good. WKU is allowed to have a good team and win a random mid-week game, at home v UofL. Also, most teams just don’t live in the top 5 for years and years. Come on, teams cycle up and cycle down.

There are currently a dozen 'mid major' teams in RPI top 40. Trying to make losing to mid major teams analogous to losing to them in football or even basketball just isn't the same. Sure,when we were in the top 5 annually we smoked everybody that wasn't in P6 conference(but not always when it mattered the most).
Midmajor I agree is a poor term especially with college baseball, but it's the easiest thing to type. However, WKU is not a ranked midmajor and cannot be confused as being one.

The point remains that Louisville should not lose to WKU, especially coming off a momentum gaining three game sweep over NC State.

As for what's the solution? Recruit better pitching.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Midmajor I agree is a poor term especially with college baseball, but it's the easiest thing to type. However, WKU is not a ranked midmajor and cannot be confused as being one.

The point remains that Louisville should not lose to WKU, especially coming off a momentum gaining three game sweep over NC State.

As for what's the solution? Recruit better pitching.
I get that perspective and understand. But…you realize WKU scored all of 3 runs right? Pitching wasn’t the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: shutterbug
Blows me away when people just don’t accept other teams are not good. WKU is allowed to have a good team and win a random mid-week game, at home v UofL. Also, most teams just don’t live in the top 5 for years and years. Come on, teams cycle up and cycle down.
I would agree to a point. But, we just came off a sweep of a conference series against a good team and we really needed to keep the momentum going. We should've came into that game with our hair on fire.

Another thing, had we not lost several games this year to "mid major" teams already, this one wouldn't be as bad..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT