ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin's Bo Ryan Retiring Immediately

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan is retiring effective immediately, he said Tuesday after the team's win over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

Longtime assistant Greg Gard is taking over as interim head coach.

"After months of conversation with Barry Alvarez and his administrative staff, as well as my wife, Kelly, I have decided that now is the right time to step down from the head coaching position here at Wisconsin," Ryan said in a statement released after the game.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-coach-bo-ryan-retiring-effective-immediately

I don't really mind Bo Ryan. I don't know much by the guy or any of their situations but as an outsider this looks like a pretty weak move. They were preseason top 20 and now they are 7-5 before conference play starts. He couldn't make it a few more months and then retire? Leave someone else with the mess?

If he is sick or something and is just not saying then I get it. Other than that it's pretty weak.

He's been a pretty classy guy his entire career so I fear he has health issues that he doesn't wish to share with the public.

I wish him the best in retirement.

Reactions: CardFan1130
Jay Bilas was just on Deiner's show and said he was going to retire last year and was under the impression that his longtime assistant would get the job but Alvarez (AD) wasn't on the same page so he came back for another year. This appears to be an orchestrated move to give his assistant an interview by taking over the team for the remainder of the year. Probably not great interview material since the team looks down from previous years.

He was pretty upset after the championship game last year. Duke was allowed to shoot 10 more FTs. Anybody who watched that game knows Wisconsin was the better team.

Pretty hard sell to tell the kids to work hard and do right, when the system is going to hand it over to their "boys" anyways.

Jay Bilas was just on Deiner's show and said he was going to retire last year and was under the impression that his longtime assistant would get the job but Alvarez (AD) wasn't on the same page so he came back for another year. This appears to be an orchestrated move to give his assistant an interview by taking over the team for the remainder of the year. Probably not great interview material since the team looks down from previous years.
It does look like Ryan isn't doing the assistant any favors by turning over the worst team he has had in a few years. I guess if he can turn this team around then he deserves the job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT