ADVERTISEMENT

Winning

How many games does Payne have to win this season?

• At least 10

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • .500 Record

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Winning Record but less than 20

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • 20 or more wins

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • NCAA Tournament

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Win 1 or more NCAAT Games

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
We all know Payne has to win a lot more games this season. What is your line or threshold to be satisfied with him remaining the coach?

The only thing I remember reading about Josh last season was that he's attending every practice and he's satisfied with what he sees in practice.

Heird said or alluded to it having to be be more than 4 wins this season. How many more is anyone's guess. Maybe Payne gets 3 seasons regardless.

I would actually be okay if Payne won 20 games but didn't make the NCAAT. Would I be ecstatic? No. But it would show that he can actually coach and would be a huge improvement from last season.

It would give me hope for the future anyway, at least enough for a 3rd season.

I totally understand the fans that say NCAAT or bust though.

I’ll be satisfied with the progress from year 1 to year 2 if he can post a winning record. Year 3 would then need to improve yet again and qualify for the NCAA tournament.

The acceptance of anything less than the tournament is a joke And speaks volumes of this fan base. I keep hearing this is the most talented our roster has been in forever. That means a final for contender to me if this team has that much talent (which i don't know to be the case). We can't accept ALMOST making the tournament or having a winning record, not in this environment in college basketball.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
The acceptance of anything less than the tournament is a joke And speaks volumes of this fan base. I keep hearing this is the most talented our roster has been in forever. That means a final for contender to me if this team has that much talent (which i don't know to be the case). We can't accept ALMOST making the tournament or having a winning record, not in this environment in college basketball.
Not a fan, don't understand the process!!!

No clue what to predict, but I’m leaning somewhere around the .500 to ..maybe 18 win total.

Some of you people are willing to accept mediocrity. This is Louisville basketball, top 7 or 8 program of all time.. The days of taking two - three Years to turn things around are over !

Get us to the tournament and win a game or hit the road. Just because he sucked last year doesn't mean doubling or tripling his win total is acceptable.

If you go from 4 wins to 12 wins you still suck..

This is what happens when everything sucks and everything has sucked for years. But yet we are still following it, maybe not as much as the past. There's nothing we can do about it. Attendance in decline, donations probably down. It's out of our control. It's probably out of Josh's control too, but that is an entire other discussion. Nobody likes it. But if you haven't found a new hobby to replace it you're accepting it. I'm not accepting it because I've withdrawn. Still love the Cards deep down but fans have been screwed for years now.

The only question that matters is what's Josh's requirements…
That’s exactly how I answered the question.

.500 record no doubt gets him a 3rd year. Double digit number of wins probably does. And that decision is not just based on number of wins. Maybe the biggest issue is the buyout.

This issue is not about how the fans’ standards have changed. This PROGRAM’s standards have changed. It’s now okay to have a half filled arena. It’s now okay to hire a head coach with no relevant experience. It’s now okay to ignore fans who have been in the boat for decades, apparently because we can easily get new fans.

My standards for what makes us a good basketball program haven’t changed. But I don’t live in denial, and I know what I’m seeing…

Last edited:
They had no idea it would go this badly. Even the most skeptical probably thought 10-12 wins or something like that last year, not a historically bad season. Chris Mack just got run outta town so I'm not sure the program's standards changed. But then again after all the destruction maybe they just don't care anymore about results and would like to just stay out of the news. Could be.

So they are backed into a corner who knows how this ends, I won't pretend I do. I agree $ is a problem.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
The people in charge only understand how much something costs in the short run. Mack wouldn’t have been bought out if the entire buyout wasn’t in play with the NCAA. Payne came relatively cheap as well.

Brohm fell into our hands courtesy of Satterfield. We proved in 2018 we couldn’t go out and compete for him straight up.

We paid Pizza Guy thinking that ridiculous $10 million would come back to us. In 2017, we reasoned that a couple million more in arena rent could be covered.

We thought fans would buy tickets regardless. So many bad financial decisions in a short period of time is how you burn through more than $50 million without realizing it.

Little Miss Sunshine only played a part in that, and it’s not really about winning. It’s more about intelligent management…

But if you haven't found a new hobby to replace it you're accepting it. I'm not accepting it because I've withdrawn. Still love the Cards deep down but fans have been screwed for years now.
Oh I have plenty hobbies and I haven't lived and died with the Cards Basketball Team for a while now.

I'm still here because I'm hopeful something will change. I don't think KP is the answer, I wish he was. If he kills it this year I'll be as happy as anyone. If he fails again I'll be for running him out of town.

Oh I have plenty hobbies and I haven't lived and died with the Cards Basketball Team for a while now.

I'm still here because I'm hopeful something will change. I don't think KP is the answer, I wish he was. If he kills it this year I'll be as happy as anyone. If he fails again I'll be for running him out of town.
I spend more time chatting here than watching the games. I enjoy reading the other perspectives. Something will change, I just don't know if it will be with this staff or a new one. I think this experiment is going to last a few more years but I admit I'm guessing. It's just the vibe I get. Could be completely wrong.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
the Empire State Classic concerns me for next year. I don't know why we are playing it unless we had a previous obligation. No reason to take early losses, imo.

Real Fan! KP GONNA KILL IT!!!

I spend more time chatting here than watching the games. I enjoy reading the other perspectives. Something will change, I just don't know if it will be with this staff or a new one. I think this experiment is going to last a few more years but I admit I'm guessing. It's just the vibe I get. Could be completely wrong.
Wrong, KP here to stay!!!!

I like those optimists who are convinced that KP will be successful here. The staff went through a season that will be hard to forget, as it was easily the worst in the modern era.

Personally, I will always be a UL fan, but not necessarily a fan of UL Administrators or Coaches. Wish the very best for Kenny and these youngsters he has brought to the Ville, but it’s up to them to turn this train wreck around …… I am just a spectator.

...Personally, I will always be a UL fan, but not necessarily a fan of UL Administrators...
We have a few here who think the two are inseparable.

No way you can experience what we did last year and be confident that Payne can coach. It MAY have been a talent issue, but that explanation would indicate our talent level last year fell off the face of the Earth. Not likely.

We'll see how much getting his own players matters, and that shouldn't take a full season to start witnessing. Payne will be on the clock right away...

Hopefully they hit the ground running but they might be the youngest team in P6. He has proven he can recruit, this time last year a lot of people were not happy with the recruiting.

I think what happens after the season ends with the players will be nearly as important as what happens during the season. If they can show some kind of identity and he's able to somehow get key players to return and not lose majority of them to the portal, maybe he can get something going and add even more talent to it. I know a lot of fans want the NCAAT but that's a real big ask from 4 wins.

Actually, qualifying for one of 68 spots is not a serious challenge for any ACC team that regularly places up to 8 teams in the tournament.

No doubt. I’m not sure Payne doesn’t deserve a pay raise if he makes the tourney next year as unlikely as that is…
I think it's extremely unlikely for a # of reasons that are pointless to go through I think we are on the same page, and I'm not taking any shots at the guy. They are going to be picked to finish near the bottom of the ACC.

But entertaining your point I think fans have waited so long I can't blame them for feeling how they feel. I'm pretty numb to it all.

Actually, qualifying for one of 68 spots is not a serious challenge for any ACC team that regularly places up to 8 teams in the tournament.
Exactly. 4 wins is not the bar we're trying to beat.. incremental improvement is not going to do it.. He has to show he is capable next year,.. I'm just afraid any improvement will keep him coming back. I'm hopeful things will improve but not very confident that they will.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
.500 record. I just say 16 wins before the acc tournament. Assuming we have a 31 game regular season. 16-15 is above .500 and is a 12 win improvement from last season. So josh can sell that. Plus our athletic department isnt trying to pay 3 coaches for one season(will owe mack 1.6 in 2024-25, kp 3.3million, new cosch 2.5million), and then in 2025z26(kp 3.3million and new coach 2.5million). We have enough financial issues.

Glad none of us on these called fan boards have any say in a coaches future and coaching abilities. SMH hmm KP was the highest paid asst coach in the NBA . However the Louisville fan boards say the guy can't coach everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I know one thing my BB IQ is pretty good but in know way could i say a person with his experience can't coach. I wouldn't know where to begin .Maybe KP could come on here and hire a championship staff.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT