ADVERTISEMENT

Will we see Bobby 1.0 play calling this year?

GOCARDS6

300+
Aug 11, 2016
I sure hope so, hopefully with an improved line (still a question mark in my mind) lamar will have more time for plays to form, instead of running for his life 24/7

I think we will see a balanced offensive attack and less of the risky 'trick' plays. When you have pure athletic players who can also play football, you just put the ball in their hands and let them make plays.

Not worried about the offense all that much, but I am concerned about the defense. Some spots are looking thin on D.

Yeah, he will have some designed runs and will take off on occasion, but the idea is certainly to hand off and pass more to develop him into an NFL QB.
It is a coach's responsibility to develop a NFL quarterback or win college football games? Sounds like the thing you hate about Calimari, you want CBP to be? Not sure I understand the difference except naturally they are the kitties and we are the Cards.

It is a coach's responsibility to develop a NFL quarterback or win college football games? Sounds like the thing you hate about Calimari, you want CBP to be? Not sure I understand the difference except naturally they are the kitties and we are the Cards.

You don't know me and obviously don't understand my position. The fact is, his responsibility in this climate is both. If you want better recruits in the future, you better prepare the ones we have for the future. If Lamar flames out in the NFL that is not good for our recruiting of QB's. The difference is Calipari has not developed anyone. They come in NBA ready and sometimes leave that way. However, many regress, i.e. the Harrison twins. I would post the exact same thing about Rick and you would agree because he develops players. I cannot believe you typed develop and Calipari in the same paragraph. Survey said, XXX.

I wasn't impressed with is play calling last year. Not sure why he continued to go play action or drop back passes when the line could not block at all. We needed to run more draws, quick screens or roll Lamar in flat to hit tight end dragging across the formation. I hope this is what they have been working on to offset the blitz

Reactions: Smithereen
Well I see we are still finding new coaches on these boards. We did win 9 games and had the HT winner. Pretty good coaching in my book. Yep, we stunk up the joint those last three games but it's time to move on to this season. CBP is a "fair" play caller in his own right.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Well I see we are still finding new coaches on these boards. We did win 9 games and had the HT winner. Pretty good coaching in my book. Yep, we stunk up the joint those last three games but it's time to move on to this season. CBP is a "fair" play caller in his own right.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!
I believe everyone on the board expected CRP to adjust better last season to the "Houston" defense and find weaknesses that our offense could exploit. Didn't seem to happen. Maybe he tried but our weaknesses were too great to overcome with playcalling. Of course we had enough offense against UK to win but our defense didn't stop anything all day. Also, it was later admitted that our QB was told to hand off to Radcliffe on our last drive, but he pulled the ball and ultimately fumbled. We will soon see whether our opponents continue to have the answer to CRP's offense, or a new season has a new result.

Reactions: American Male
You don't know me and obviously don't understand my position. The fact is, his responsibility in this climate is both. If you want better recruits in the future, you better prepare the ones we have for the future. If Lamar flames out in the NFL that is not good for our recruiting of QB's. The difference is Calipari has not developed anyone. They come in NBA ready and sometimes leave that way. However, many regress, i.e. the Harrison twins. I would post the exact same thing about Rick and you would agree because he develops players. I cannot believe you typed develop and Calipari in the same paragraph. Survey said, XXX.
You're right I don't know you but lets contemplate a few things. Did CBP develop Brohm or are you saying Brohm wasn't that talented to begin with? Did CCS develop TB or was Teddy just talented? In football, HC get far too much credit for developing individuals when it is usually the position coach or just the talent of the individual. HC gets credit for wins. Basketball is a different animal.

You're right I don't know you but lets contemplate a few things. Did CBP develop Brohm or are you saying Brohm wasn't that talented to begin with? Did CCS develop TB or was Teddy just talented? In football, HC get far too much credit for developing individuals when it is usually the position coach or just the talent of the individual. HC gets credit for wins. Basketball is a different animal.

You are getting away from the point, but I'll play. I think you already know the answers. It is pretty obvious that Brohm was a great CFB QB. Bobby and Jeff get part of that credit, but BB was just not quite good enough for the NFL. That's life, only a small percentage make it. Teddy is straight badass and you know CCS did not work with him, but I will give a lot of credit to Shawn Watson. Teddy does, too. If you cannot see the obvious flaws in Lamar's game that need to be addressed I am wasting my time here.

I wasn't impressed with is play calling last year. Not sure why he continued to go play action or drop back passes when the line could not block at all. We needed to run more draws, quick screens or roll Lamar in flat to hit tight end dragging across the formation. I hope this is what they have been working on to offset the blitz
I felt like when I was watching I knew it was going to be one of four plays and it usually was. Now, the line may have been pulling in different directions more often but the basis of t he plays seemed to lack variety.

I'd like to see Lamar along with bonnafon and whomever else come out in an old school wishbone. I think that could be crazy dangerous.

Reactions: American Male
You are getting away from the point, but I'll play. I think you already know the answers. It is pretty obvious that Brohm was a great CFB QB. Bobby and Jeff get part of that credit, but BB was just not quite good enough for the NFL. That's life, only a small percentage make it. Teddy is straight badass and you know CCS did not work with him, but I will give a lot of credit to Shawn Watson. Teddy does, too. If you cannot see the obvious flaws in Lamar's game that need to be addressed I am wasting my time here.
Do I think Lamar needs to improve, make better reads, throw downfield more? Yes. Do I want him to be drafted as the No. 1 QB. Sure but don't really care until that happens. Before that I want him to lead us to the CFP. Lefors was a very good college QB and as you said BB.

Houston showed the world how to beat us IF we don't show some balance in the offense.

So IF LJ (and the OL) hasn't "improved", none of us will have a Merry Christmas.

But,..........I have to believe he's been groomed enough (and the OL) in the last seven months to move us very efficiently. ;)

Purdue will have major problems with the speed of Louisville on Offense. I look for a high scoring game......don't think Purdue can keep up (pun intended)!

Reactions: gocds
Houston showed the world how to beat us IF we don't show some balance in the offense.

So IF LJ (and the OL) hasn't "improved", none of us will have a Merry Christmas.

But,..........I have to believe he's been groomed enough (and the OL) in the last seven months to move us very efficiently. ;)
This is key. I hope to see an improved OL with this new coach. If this is the case, then this along with a matured Lamar could be an epic year for us.

As far as the play calling,I'll only say that if you call the read,you'll have to depend on one guy's decision making.It has to be near flawless.It'll certainly be better by LJ after watching film for 6 months,but the read will not be in the face of everyone this season.Taking snaps from under center along with the shotgun helps to disguise what's coming for the defense.

Keeping the defense guessing will return this season.

As far as the play calling,I'll only say that if you call the read,you'll have to depend on one guy's decision making.It has to be near flawless.It'll certainly be better by LJ after watching film for 6 months,but the read will not be in the face of everyone this season.Taking snaps from under center along with the shotgun helps to disguise what's coming for the defense.

Keeping the defense guessing will return this season.

When Lamar is seeing things develop at the same pace as Bobby, then we'll have something. He is getting rather proud of talking about reading blitzes. Maybe that's just preseason talk, but Lamar is one brutally honest cat. That can be one hard as hell headed asset, frankly, if the original education is set. Man, he had a long way to come to get here.

We should be proud of his attitude, if nothing else. Man, if Lamar Jackson doesn't bring a smile to your face, then you are brain dead, lol. And this doesn't even include what he does coming up on the field. Even a bad year by his "standards" could still get us in the playoffs. He's being trained to win - not groomed for anything but winning.

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT