ADVERTISEMENT

Will UK fans support UL in the NCAA investigations and self-imposed penalties?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that didn't happen. Some Louisville fans just started saying it to and others ran with it. The video of the interview is readily available. All he said at the start of the interview was "We are back. Kentucky Sports Radio. Happy to be joined by Katina Powell...." When the interview ended, he merely said "thank you." He also asked several difficult questions during the interview and was forced to just move on several times because there was really nothing she could say.
Doesn't matter if he said happy or honored. Why would a UK talk show have her on to begin with? Jones has single handidly turned the rivalry into a bitter thing.

What is there to support? These are self imposed penalties so all the support doesn't matter. When I was 17 I had two small car wrecks in one day. I came home from the 2nd wreck, handed my keys to dad and self imposed a ban on me driving for one month. He had no sympathy and didn't talk me out of my ban.

Reactions: bluescat92
I get the spirit of what you are saying, but it doesn't make sense in this specific instance. According to that reasoning, if the Camby incident never happened, then no one would have questioned Cal's involvement in a high school kid allegedly cheating on his SAT, right? OK, so that means, according to your argument, the fact that 12 years earlier (over the span of 30+ years coaching) a star player took money from an agent during his final year in college when even the NCAA declared the coach to be "an innocent victim," that means the same coach is likely culpable 12 years later. That just doesn't make sense. Again, I completely understand he spirit of your argument, but you have to look at the specific instances to see if it really makes sense when applied to a particular individual.
Not true at all. If the Camby incident had not happened, people would still question Cal's involvement in getting Derrick Rose qualified. You neglected to add that four of those 12 years you mentioned were spent coaching in the NBA. Then, for the first five years that Cal was at Memphis, they were not doing great, with his signature accomplishment being an NIT Championship. If you look at the circumstances around Rose's recruitment, which have been re-hashed ad-nauseum, there is enough smoke that common sense would call it a fire.

This has been debunked so many times.....smh. I need to store the info in a word doc so I can quickly cut and paste the many reasons the bolded statement is false.
Well stop SYH, and cut and paste what you got genius. NIT is older and until the 50s had a stronger and more prestigious field than the NCAA as they had at large bids for teams - which included independents and not just conference champions. For those reasons, it was considered to be the more important title of the two to win.

Well stop SYH, and cut and paste what you got genius. NIT is older and until the 50s had a stronger and more prestigious field than the NCAA as they had at large bids for teams - which included independents and not just conference champions. For those reasons, it was considered to be the more important title of the two to win.

Alright, let's just focus on the 1949 NIT and NCAA tournaments.

NIT Tournament Participants with final AP ranking;

Bowling Green - 10
Bradley - 7
CCNY - Unranked
Kentucky - 1
Loyola - 16
Manhattan - Unranked
NYU - Unranked
St Johns - Unranked
Saint Louis - 3
SFU - 8
Western KY - 5
Utah - 12

NCAA Participants and Rank

Illinois - 4
Kentucky -1
Villanova - 17
Yale -11
Arkansas - Unranked
Oklahoma AM - 2
Oregon State- Unranked
Wyoming - 17

UK played in both tourneys. AP voters apparently didn't get the message that the NIT was more important, as they ranked 3 of the NCAA tourney Final four in the top 4, including NCAA champ Kentucky at #1 and NCAA runner up Oklahoma AM at #2. NIT had 4/12 unranked for 33%. NCAA had 2/8 for 25%.

Up unitl the early 40s, the NIT was the better tournament. The 2 were on equal footing by 1943 when the NCAA moved to Madison square garden as well to increase exposure. By the time the early 50s rolled around the NIT was unquestionably the lesser of the 2.

Reactions: blubo
Alright, let's just focus on the 1949 NIT and NCAA tournaments.

NIT Tournament Participants with final AP ranking;

Bowling Green - 10
Bradley - 7
CCNY - Unranked
Kentucky - 1
Loyola - 16
Manhattan - Unranked
NYU - Unranked
St Johns - Unranked
Saint Louis - 3
SFU - 8
Western KY - 5
Utah - 12

NCAA Participants and Rank

Illinois - 4
Kentucky -1
Villanova - 17
Yale -11
Arkansas - Unranked
Oklahoma AM - 2
Oregon State- Unranked
Wyoming - 17

UK played in both tourneys. AP voters apparently didn't get the message that the NIT was more important, as they ranked 3 of the NCAA tourney Final four in the top 4, including NCAA champ Kentucky at #1 and NCAA runner up Oklahoma AM at #2. NIT had 4/12 unranked for 33%. NCAA had 2/8 for 25%.

Up unitl the early 40s, the NIT was the better tournament. The 2 were on equal footing by 1943 when the NCAA moved to Madison square garden as well to increase exposure. By the time the early 50s rolled around the NIT was unquestionably the lesser of the 2.
Given that uk lost the NIT that year, no wonder that you'd like to elevate the NCAA title as the more important. However, it simply wasn't the case.

Given that uk lost the NIT that year, no wonder that you'd like to elevate the NCAA title as the more important. However, it simply wasn't the case.

Then hop in a time machine and tell the AP voters.

Pick any year after 1945 and you'll see the same pattern.

Then hop in a time machine and tell the AP voters.

Pick any year after 1945 and you'll see the same pattern.
Feel free to believe whatever you want as will I - it's not as though there is a purely objective answer to the question.

And, if I'm hopping in a time machine for a conversation, it wouldn't be with AP voters - I'd probably speak with matt jones' parents about using better birth control.

Reactions: JohnKBA
Feel free to believe whatever you want as will I - it's not as though there is a purely objective answer to the question.

And, if I'm hopping in a time machine for a conversation, it wouldn't be with AP voters - I'd probably speak with matt jones' parents about using better birth control.

I'd be in favor of that myself, BP.

Obviously, it's very much in the history of Calipari - who is the current U of K coach. While my original wording could have been better, the current sports culture at U of K is affected by Calipari's history and what he brings to the position.

This is why you have a compliance office. UK's compliance office is ran by Sandy Bell. ( an ex NCAA'er) Who is UL's compliance officer? UL will be forced to tighten up their compliance office by the NCAA. That is why UK hired Bell.

I posted the 2 above because many U of K fans seem to have no memory of their own past.
I think we have a very vivid memories of our own past, although Marcus Camby is irrelevant. We damn near received the death penalty on the other instance.

As for rooting for you guys, I can't speak for all of the fans but I root for you guys any time you play against Duke or North Carolina.

I don't root for teams to get sanctions because I think that's bad karma but as I mentioned earlier, we have very vivid memories of our scandal in the late 80s so naturally some are wanting th NCAA to punish accordingly. But at the same time when is uNC's time coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT