ADVERTISEMENT

Why You Should Keep Bobby Petrino

Sultan__of__Swine

15000+
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2004
If you are looking for a reason to keep Bobby Petrino, then look no farther than South Bend, Indiana. Brian Kelly was a "Dead Man Walking" in 2016. His Notre Dame team was sitting at 4-8. His season had begun with high expectations coming off a 10-3 season with a Fiesta Bowl berth. He fired his Defensive Coordinator mid-season and drew the ire of the Irish fanbase.

Kelly had a pretty solid track record prior to this horrible season. He was 43-6 at Cincinnati then got his dream job at ND. At ND he started off with two 8-5 seasons and then had his dream season finishing 12-1. After the 12-1 season he had a 4-loss and a 5-loss season. The fanbase began to become restless again. Then came the 4-8 season. The administration stuck with him. Kelly revamped his staff and focused on recruiting. Since the 4-8 season his team has been 17-3.

There are a lot of parallels with Kelly and Petrino. Both have succeeded at similar schools (UC and UofL) during their climb up the coaching ladder. Both landed in much higher profile jobs, with tougher schedules, and higher fan expectations. Both have had or are having a down year.

Everyone knew deep down that Brian Kelly had not forgot how to coach. His track record showed that he knew how to win. The same can be said for Petrino.

The difference may be whether Petrino can make the changes that Kelly made and turn it around. That remains to be seen, but UofL should allow it to happen.

650x366

Reactions: PushupMan
There’s only one thing, oops several things wrong with this comparison. ND is a football blueblood full of tradition. Hate to say it but like kids growing up in rural KY who want to go to KY, there are kids whose fathers and grandfathers went to ND. Kelly has done well or ok other than his predecessors because it is Notre Dame. Petrino at one time maybe had a better offensive mind at one time but he’s not the same guy. I think his troubled past has caught up to him.

Last edited:
Here’s one area that is not a parallel - recruiting. ND recruits on a completely different level than Louisville does regardless of who the coach is - and that is never going to change.

This isn't about just season records. We have a losing record since the Houston loss in 2016 and the teams we have beaten have been nothing but subpar. Louisville is on a downward spiral going 100mph when in 2016 after FSU, we all felt like we were about to join in as a serious name. Well it's been everything but that since.

You can bring up any coach that has had a bad season among a number of successful seasons and it still wouldn’t be a fair comparison to Petrino’s situation at Louisville.

It’s been beaten to death in here and Twitter....if you think the current tidal wave to fire Petrino is simply based on this season then I don’t know what to tell you.

Kelly can replace a coach with another top notch coach, Petrino has to interview for people to work with him at his family reunions. He’s burned too many bridges over the years.

Wouldn't keep him.

Petrino's MO has always been to go into a place for 3 or 4 years and win with another guys players and then GTFO of dodge. This is what Bobby Petrino football looks like when he stays around.

He doesnt want to be here anymore. It's written all over his face. What he is doing is the equivalent of what most of us do in our own jobs. Show up every day and go home with no real passion involved. He has no fire or passion anymore. His lackluster enthusiasm for the game has obviously trickled down to his players. There are athletes on this team, they just dont care to be there and arent having fun.

I say fire his ass now on the bye week. Make Van Gorder Interem coach and work on coming up with the money for our new coach for next season. At least VG shows fire and passion on the side lines. What's there to lose ? That SOB Petrino did it to us the last go around. Can him now. Leave a note on his desk and tell him to GTFO.

OP, Brian Kelly faced a much tougher schedule and Notre Dame never at any point looked as inept as Louisville does right now. We are getting beaten in all phases of the game. The worst phase is offense, and the worst position is quarterback. That is supposed to be Petrino’s specialty.

Chapman, Petrino’s buyout is much more expensive if he’s fired before December. If Tyra did fire him, however, it would be Galloway who should get the interim HC opportunity. He’s been with the program longer and he took the OC job as a launching pad toward a head coaching gig, as I understand. (Wishful thinking, but maybe Bobby would like to go back to being a coordinator.)

Wouldn't keep him.

Petrino's MO has always been to go into a place for 3 or 4 years and win with another guys players and then GTFO of dodge. This is what Bobby Petrino football looks like when he stays around.

He doesnt want to be here anymore. It's written all over his face. What he is doing is the equivalent of what most of us do in our own jobs. Show up every day and go home with no real passion involved. He has no fire or passion anymore. His lackluster enthusiasm for the game has obviously trickled down to his players. There are athletes on this team, they just dont care to be there and arent having fun.

I say fire his ass now on the bye week. Make Van Gorder Interem coach and work on coming up with the money for our new coach for next season. At least VG shows fire and passion on the side lines. What's there to lose ? That SOB Petrino did it to us the last go around. Can him now. Leave a note on his desk and tell him to GTFO.
VanGorder blows.

Reactions: JD BIGCAT
There is no benefit to firing a coach mid season. Let it play out.

It has become an impossible situation and I don't see any way to turn it around. First, Petrino has lost his fan base and he knows it. There is nothing he can do to get them back besides winning out, which isn't going to happen. I doubt see anyway for him to excite the fan base if he came back, even if he overhauled his staff.

The next thing is a most distrbuing the players aren't playing for him or his staff. If they were they would be showing improvement. There is no unit improving. Their offense it is getting worse, not better. The offensive line is awful and that screams coaching. Nothing is translating from practice field to game i.e. slow starts and inability to do anything in 2nd halves in close games. I rarely blame the players in these situations because they quit or stop listening to coaches for a reason.

Finances play a role, Tyra only has 2 options 1) fire him 2) force major changes to in the staff. The other option is Bobby realizes he has lost his fire and quits like the Oregon State coach. Finances may be the deciding factor in all of this, but college football it can take 5 or 6 years to rebuild in a good league. The longer you wait the longer the turnaround.

There is no benefit to firing a coach mid season. Let it play out.

It has become an impossible situation and I don't see any way to turn it around. First, Petrino has lost his fan base and he knows it. There is nothing he can do to get them back besides winning out, which isn't going to happen. I doubt see anyway for him to excite the fan base if he came back, even if he overhauled his staff.

The next thing is a most distrbuing the players aren't playing for him or his staff. If they were they would be showing improvement. There is no unit improving. Their offense it is getting worse, not better. The offensive line is awful and that screams coaching. Nothing is translating from practice field to game i.e. slow starts and inability to do anything in 2nd halves in close games. I rarely blame the players in these situations because they quit or stop listening to coaches for a reason.

Finances play a role, Tyra only has 2 options 1) fire him 2) force major changes to in the staff. The other option is Bobby realizes he has lost his fire and quits like the Oregon State coach. Finances may be the deciding factor in all of this, but college football it can take 5 or 6 years to rebuild in a good league. The longer you wait the longer the turnaround.

Tom Meeker , former president of Churchill Downs and current UL board member says there isn't enough money left in the kitty to buy Petrino out. Maybe we are stuck with CBP..

Got the solution. Get our hands on the Wake Forrest playbook (again), then plant it in CBP’s office. Bam!! You have cause!! Desperate times call for desperate measures!! Obviously, just kiddin.

Tom Meeker , former president of Churchill Downs and current UL board member says there isn't enough money left in the kitty to buy Petrino out. Maybe we are stuck with CBP..
That’s a call to donors plain and simple. The fact that Pitino looks like he’s going to get blanked - or at a minimum a significantly smaller settlement - is helpful.

Here’s how swell, the shape of Louisville Football is in. Sept. 15th: Malik Cunningham saves the Cards (at home) with 2 late TDs from an embarrassing loss to a down Western Ky team....

Western Ky- 17
Louisville- 20

Yesterday:
Charlotte- 40
Western Ky- 14

September 29th:
UAB- 28
Charlotte- 7

That’s the same UAB program that TERMINATED their football program after the 2014 season for 2 years. They just started playing again LAST YEAR. And the juggernaut Charlotte 49ers didn’t even have a football program at all until 2013.

Let that sink in. Does anyone in their right mind not think that Louisville has talent that is far superior and deeper than any of these teams?

All is well though, or will be if we just stay the course. Sure thing. Better beat Wake Forest, after that, the Cards will be double digit underdogs in their last 4 games. Let that sink in.

Here’s how swell, the shape of Louisville Football is in. Sept. 15th: Malik Cunningham saves the Cards (at home) with 2 late TDs from an embarrassing loss to a down Western Ky team....

Western Ky- 17
Louisville- 20

Yesterday:
Charlotte- 40
Western Ky- 14

September 29th:
UAB- 28
Charlotte- 7

That’s the same UAB program that TERMINATED their football program after the 2014 season for 2 years. They just started playing again LAST YEAR. And the juggernaut Charlotte 49ers didn’t even have a football program at all until 2013.

Let that sink in. Does anyone in their right mind not think that Louisville has talent that is far superior and deeper than any of these teams?

All is well though, or will be if we just stay the course. Sure thing. Better beat Wake Forest, after that, the Cards will be double digit underdogs in their last 4 games. Let that sink in.
That’s not even the best comparison.

GT - 66
U of L - 31

Duke - 28
GT - 14

Vince still has leverage without the money. Fire all 3 of his family members, piss bobby off and maybe he'll pull another Atlanta Falcons stunt.

Vince still has leverage without the money. Fire all 3 of his family members, piss bobby off and maybe he'll pull another Atlanta Falcons stunt.
Dude - why be chickenshit? You want to fire him then do so - don’t play games, it just makes you look small.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Or go further in the tank dragging us with him.

He won’t quit. He’ll collect that check if he doesn’t do any “coaching”. IOW he will force us to fire him so he can get the buyout.

Either way he wins. Stay and mumble dick around while making $4+million a year, or get fired and get 4+12.

We only win if we get somebody better.

Dude - why be chickenshit? You want to fire him then do so - don’t play games, it just makes you look small.
Well maybe Bobby has a clause in his contract that says he has to be farrred with cause but what about the rest of the staff. As I stated before my previous employer gave our office manager an ultimatum, either you farrred your two lazy sons or your farrred! Maybe Tyra could farrred Nick and Bobby would be pissed enough to resign...

Well maybe Bobby has a clause in his contract that says he has to be farrred with cause but what about the rest of the staff. As I stated before my previous employer gave our office manager an ultimatum, either you farrred your two lazy sons or your farrred! Maybe Tyra could farrred Nick and Bobby would be pissed enough to resign...
It’s a ploy for sure - not one that I would use if getting rid of Petrino was my goal - but you might be right about his reaction.

Of course he might stay and actively wreck the program. If it comes to that, it might be interesting to compare and contrast active wrecking vs. the wrecking he’s doing now...

Mark Enes and crew are talking on air as if Brohm is a lock....I know they dont know much more than anyone but i remember all the buzz around Mack and it came to Fruition.

If Tyra gets Brohm and Mack within a years time then that dude makes a name for himself fast.

I guess the way that would work is for Vince to say, "We'll give you 5 mil to resign quietly or I fire your son and son in law." That might piss Bobby off enough to dig in his heels, knowing the financial situation of the department. It might cause him to take a comfy retirement. I'm guessing the former, but hope for the latter.

Mark Enes and crew are talking on air as if Brohm is a lock....I know they dont know much more than anyone but i remember all the buzz around Mack and it came to Fruition.

If Tyra gets Brohm and Mack within a years time then that dude makes a name for himself fast.
What type of name depends on how Brohm (hypothetically) and Mack do.

The thing about Brohm is even after a 0-3 start they could have been 3-0 very easily in a year where they should be rebuilding. My guess is Purdue will scare Ohio State this Saturday.

The dude is a winner and really was a player that got every ounce out of his body when he played. His teams play that way.

The timing is perfect even though the finances aren't.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT