ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING: Who's left in the 2020 talent pool

Dave Lackford

6000+
Staff
Jan 14, 2014
Things have been quiet since December 15th, too quiet if you're employed to report on recruiting developments. I was hoping to hear something about a new linebacker or cornerback where there is mutual interest and an official visit in the works but alas, all that's been out there relating to the 2020 class is Corey Wren dropping a top five with Louisville in that group. I don't think Wren will sign with Louisville and he is expected to take an official visit to FSU on January 17th. I don't know that he ends up there but I'm not getting the vibe he will sign with Louisville at this point.

Since there isn't any real buzz about a particular 2020 prospect that I've heard, here's a list of five uncommitted prospects with offers from Louisville that should be of interest to fans.

Mathis is a legit target and the staff has been in touch with his coaches down at Largo around the 20th of December about setting up an official visit. His main recruiter is Mark Ivey. I asked Mathis if he was being recruited to play inside linebacker and he responded "I don't know but inside or outside I'm gonna ball." If a visit does materialize you will be the first to know. Mathis was previously committed to Miami but backed off that pledge. Nebraska and Arizona are also in the mix but he said he doesn't have any visits scheduled at the moment. I like Louisville's chances here if they decide to push.

Devynn Curtis's recruitment hit a snag in December and he remains unsigned. I've heard conflicting reports about Vanderbilt and why he didn't sign there but that's not important. The salient fact is that Louisville needs an inside linebacker and Curtis is still on the board. It appears that Ball State was the only school to visit Curtis before the December signing period so something is weird here. Rivals reported that Arkansas, Mizzou, Ole Miss, and Virginia are all trying to get him on campus and he does still have four official visits left. I'm not sure I trust that report's veracity after seeing the lack of interest in his services before signing day but players do tend to see their stock rise after staffs regroup and identify the top remaining talent on the board. Louisville has an immediate need in this class for his position and campus isn't that far from his home.

Art Green was committed to Tennessee for nearly seven months but decommitted on December ninth, six days before signing day. With a JUCO prospect that usually signifies grade concerns but I have not been able to confirm that was the case. I was told that Tennessee "dropped" him but that's only what I've gotten from the Tennessee side.

Shortly after opening things up the rivals Illinois site reported that Louisville reached out to him. His name didn't surface in my conversations with Louisville sources before the fifteenth of December, but the Illinois report did say he planned to stretch things out till February. If he's eligible Louisville should be quick to make a move here. At 6-foot-1, 200-pounds he is ready to step on the field right away and could realistically start.

Dunson decommitted from FSU once Willie Taggart was fired and has decided to take his recruitment into February. Texas offered recently and Penn State has shown a lot of interest but Louisville wants another corner and with his recruitment in the reset stage it wouldn't be a stretch to think Louisville could get him on campus if they make a serious push.

Wren was committed to Georgia from June 22nd through December 3rd but for some reason he decided to open his recruitment back up right before signing day. I'm not aware if that was his choice or not but he recently released a top-five of FSU, Lousville, Oklahoma, OK State, and TCU. He has set up an official visit with FSU for January 17th. His top-five is odd. He has already taken official visits to Arizona State, Houston, Maryland, and TCU so Louisville, Oklahoma, and OK State are on his list without the possibility of an official taking place. Often recruits will list five schools when really there are only two or even one school that is really an option. That being said, if he takes any unofficial visits on his own dime logic would dictate that school is a serious threat. At the moment however, I would call FSU and TCU the main options at the moment until he decides to visit one of the others in his top five at his own expense.

Reactions: Smithereen
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News