ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the Cards rivals?

Dec 16, 2020
Hi Cardinals Fans,

While Louisville may have an obvious rival, do they have a second? A third? Thanks to the help of message board members beginning in 2014, we—the students and professors of the Know Rivalry Project—began studying NCAA football rivalries. We have also recently expanded for college hoops as well Please help us update and expand our results to ensure that the Louisville Cardinals are included by taking 10 minutes to complete our newest survey:

FBS: https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3FdJ8eN2EgFCfCB?mbsrc=krdir&grpID=1051
MBB and WBB: https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3FdJ8eN2EgFCfCB?mbsrc=krdir

Our previous results have been featured in everals sports media outlets, as well as the New York Times and Wall Street Journal. You can view those results, links to media coverage, and learn more about us at our KnowRivalry.com website however we'd prefer you didn't until you completed the survey via the link above... we don't want to influence your opinions provided in the survey.

We use the Qualtrics online survey software for our data collection. This academic research is approved by two US universities' Institutional Review Boards (IRB) and it poses zero risks to respondents. You'll find more information on the disclosure agreement that is required to begin the survey. Thank you for helping us to include the [team] by participating and please share this with any other fans that may also help.

Jonah, Student Researcher, Northern Kentucky University
Dr. Joe Cobbs, Northern Kentucky University
Dr. David Tyler, University of Massachusetts—Amherst

Yes, FSU has become our 2nd rival. Just my opinion.

GO CARDS!!!

Culture has changed dramatically over the decades. UC, and Memphis were both urban “city Universities” rivals to UL as we played all sports in the same conference for so long. We have since moved on, and I thought maybe WVU, WKU, WF, Pitt, FSU and even Miami might evolve …….but aside from UK, right now, we really do not have another true rival.

Culture has changed dramatically over the decades. UC, and Memphis were both urban “city Universities” rivals to UL as we played all sports in the same conference for so long. We have since moved on, and I thought maybe WVU, WKU, WF, Pitt, FSU and even Miami might evolve …….but aside from UK, right now, we really do not have another true rival.
What you say is true but from within the ACC I'd have to give the nod to FSU. But, of course, conference games weigh heavily as the season progresses and those schools become the big rival "of the day". Have a great Holiday 233.

GO CARDS!!!

Yeah, WF is #2 on my list to truly dislike. Smug truly describes their fanbase and staff, and for no reason.

GO CARDS!!!
I too despise Wake Forest. On top of their fan base and coach the worst boss I ever had was a WF grad. Sanctimonious smug SOB. But I don’t consider them a rival. I don’t think the fan bases have to hate another school for it to be a rivalry. For example I’m a St Louis Cardinal fan. The Cards main rival is the Chicago Cubs. I don’t hate the Cubs. That would be like hating the handicapped.

Reactions: gocds
I too despise Wake Forest. On top of their fan base and coach the worst boss I ever had was a WF grad. Sanctimonious smug SOB. But I don’t consider them a rival. I don’t think the fan bases have to hate another school for it to be a rivalry. For example I’m a St Louis Cardinal fan. The Cards main rival is the Chicago Cubs. I don’t hate the Cubs. That would be like hating the handicapped.
I like the Cubs.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: fredburgcard
Virginia more so than Wake Forest. We've been beating Wake fairly regularly. But UVa has been a thorn in our ass for some unknown reason. In all sports.

Reactions: gocds
Because of the relative historic long-term strength of our MBB program and the equally long-term relative weakness in our late-evolving FB program, UofL's rivals are almost all going to be based on MBB.

When UofL joined the Big East and then later was grafted-on as a Maryland replacement in the enlarged ACC, the "natural" FB rivals would seem to have become both Pitt and Syracuse, as they were both long-running regular opponents. As Pitt was slotted in the opposite ACC division to UofL, Syracuse has become a defacto FB rival. The Cards have played them more consistently than any other current regular opponent ... except for in-state Kentucky. Syracuse works pretty well as the main MBB ACC rival as well.

UofL has played exactly 20 FB games vs Syracuse.
UofL has played exactly 29 MBB games vs Syracuse.

Florida State could evolve into a rival if FSU were to start viewing UofL as a principal rival.

UofL has played exactly 20 FB games vs Florida State.
UofL has played exactly 49 MBB games vs Florida State.

So my vote is Kentucky and Syracuse, from the perspectives of both UK and Syracuse fans and ourselves.

I think Cincinnati would be viewed as UofL's rivals in both FB and MBB if we were both in the same conference.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT