ADVERTISEMENT

Where will the Cards be ranked?

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Assuming Ohio State wins tonight here's my predicted top 5.

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Louisville
4. Michigan
5. Clemson

If the Buckeyes lose to Oklahoma, every team moves up a spot with Stanford #5.

Reactions: tkdcoach
If this were the first poll of the year we'd be #1. I honestly don't know how anyone could watch our game and vote us lower than #2 if they're doing an honest appraisal.

Assuming Ohio State wins tonight here's my predicted top 5.

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Louisville
4. Michigan
5. Clemson

If the Buckeyes lose to Oklahoma, every team moves up a spot with Stanford #5.

As a general rule of thumb, inertia rules the polls. Since everyone in the current top 10 other than FSU looks to win today, I doubt UofL will move up too many spots. FSU will drop out of the top 15 so that automatically moves UL up to #9. But, I think some leap frogging will occur so I would guess #7 or so.

Personally, I would vote Ohio State #1 as they are a more complete team right now. I'd vote UL ahead of Alabama because our defense is fine, but the offense is horrible right now.

But, none of it matters. The playoff committee doesn't vote until mid to late October. That's when it matters. At this point - with much football to be played - I think the SEC champ, Big Ten champ, winner of UL vs. Houston and one other makes the playoff. Tenuous prediction given how much football is left. But that is how I see it as of this moment.

Last edited:
It would be a travesty if the Cards are only #7. A 43 point win over the 2nd ranked team along with the Heisman front runner has to be rewarded, even for a non traditional team. Both Wisconsin and Texas went from unranked to top 10 after their big wins, so I don't see why Louisville would be any different. Michigan and Clemson haven't played anybody and should be passed by the Cards. I do know what you mean though and there's that possibility you will be correct. It would be typical when it comes to Louisville football.

At the least, the Cards should be #5. There hasn't been a more impressive win so far this season and Lamar Jackson looks like the best college football player. If that only moves them three spots, there will be more than Cards fans raising fits.

Reactions: Mayoman
As a general rule of thumb, inertia rules the polls. Since everyone in the current top 10 other than FSU looks to win today, I doubt UofL will move up too many spots. FSU will drop out of the top 15 so that automatically moves UL up to #9. But, I think some leap frogging will occur so I would guess #7 or so.

Personally, I would vote Ohio State #1 as they are a more complete team right now. I'd vote UL ahead of Alabama because our defense is fine, but the offense is horrible right now.

But, none of it matters. The playoff committee doesn't vote until mid to late October. That's when it matters. At this point - which much football to be played - I think the SEC champ, Big Ten champ, winner of UL vs. Houston and one other makes the playoff. Tenuous prediction given how much football is left. But that is how I see it as of this moment.
I'll take 'Inconsequential drivel' for $200 Alex.

I'll be happy if we stay undervalued in the 5-7 range. I don't want the spotlight to be too bright too soon, although, with Lamar Jackson, it's a given. If we just handle our business on the rest of our schedule, It doesn't matter who is in front of us rankings wise. They won't be able to deny us a spot in the playoff.

I don't think there's much choice on the spotlight. It's firmly focused on LJ and Louisville. Nobody has gotten more media attention since the opening of the season, and nobody has a more impressive highlight reel.

People outside our program are so excited about this kid. Everyone wants to help discover the next truly great player, and we may be witnessing just that.

It would be a travesty if the Cards are only #7. A 43 point win over the 2nd ranked team along with the Heisman front runner has to be rewarded, even for a non traditional team. Both Wisconsin and Texas went from unranked to top 10 after their big wins, so I don't see why Louisville would be any different. Michigan and Clemson haven't played anybody and should be passed by the Cards. I do know what you mean though and there's that possibility you will be correct. It would be typical when it comes to Louisville football.

At the least, the Cards should be #5. There hasn't been a more impressive win so far this season and Lamar Jackson looks like the best college football player. If that only moves them three spots, there will be more than Cards fans raising fits.

I really don't see why you care. I have been watching this for 20 or so years. The top 4 on September 18th is never the same as on the first Sunday in December. Let it play out.

I hope the pollsters disrespect us and only move us ahead of those who lost. Hoping the guys stay humble and hungry!

I like 5-7. The reason we may not jump more teams is it more related to bad preseason rankings like OU being overrated although they have played two tough teams. I also like to think that FSU is still a top 10 team - we are just better! Let's take care of Marshall and then have a top 5 showdown with the Tigers!

Probably 6th. or 7th. Win out and finish in the top four. Perfect scenario needs a perfect ending.

Rankings are nice for bragging rights.

Winning is better. And getting dissed by the pollsters will/should keep the chip on our shoulder and keep Cocoa's train on the tracks!!

Top 10 was a dream for years, and now I'm good with living that dream for a while. The cream will rise.

I can wait until after the last game we play to be #1.

Or 2, 3, 4, or 5 for that matter.

Reactions: Mayoman
between 4-6. I'm okay with that. We'll have the opportunity to move up. We have Clemson. Ohio State and Mich still have to play each other.

Our destiny is in our hands. Take care of business and we'll be where we want to be.

I really don't see why you care. I have been watching this for 20 or so years. The top 4 on September 18th is never the same as on the first Sunday in December. Let it play out.
And I really don't know why you care that I care. The season will play out regardless of who cares. Let me have my fun. Geez!!!

And I really don't know why you care that I care. The season will play out regardless of who cares. Let me have my fun. Geez!!!

Not so much about caring that you care. Just a little friendly advice is all. Polls now are not always very informative.

In 2013 at this point in the season, the AP top 5 was Alabama, Oregon, Clemson, Ohio State and Stanford. Eventual BCS champ, Florida State, was #8 and BCS runner up, Auburn, was unranked.

In 2014 the AP top 5 at this point was Florida State, Oregon, Alabama, Oklahoma, Auburn. The first three did make the playoff, but eventual national champ Ohio State was ranked #23.

Last year at this point, the AP top 5 was Ohio State, Michigan State, Ole Miss, TCU, Baylor. Only Michigan State would make the playoffs. Meanwhile, Oklahoma was #15, eventual national champ Alabama was #12 and eventual runner up Clemson was #11

Enjoy it now. Both UL and Alabama are ranked highly right now. But, it is only right now. First Sunday in December is the only one that matters in reality. The rest of it is just noise.

Not so much about caring that you care. Just a little friendly advice is all. Polls now are not always very informative.

In 2013 at this point in the season, the AP top 5 was Alabama, Oregon, Clemson, Ohio State and Stanford. Eventual BCS champ, Florida State, was #8 and BCS runner up, Auburn, was unranked.

In 2014 the AP top 5 at this point was Florida State, Oregon, Alabama, Oklahoma, Auburn. The first three did make the playoff, but eventual national champ Ohio State was ranked #23.

Last year at this point, the AP top 5 was Ohio State, Michigan State, Ole Miss, TCU, Baylor. Only Michigan State would make the playoffs. Meanwhile, Oklahoma was #15, eventual national champ Alabama was #12 and eventual runner up Clemson was #11

Enjoy it now. Both UL and Alabama are ranked highly right now. But, it is only right now. First Sunday in December is the only one that matters in reality. The rest of it is just noise.
Well, I already know about everything you said. I never said it was over, the Cards are top 4 so they're in the playoff. I was just wondering what the blow out of FSU would show in the polls. That's all. I think they should be rewarded and they were. I don't see why you felt the need to educate me or give advice. I think it was clear that the thread I started was to start a conversation about what is happening this week.

Reactions: jim57
Well, I already know about everything you said. I never said it was over, the Cards are top 4 so they're in the playoff. I was just wondering what the blow out of FSU would show in the polls. That's all. I think they should be rewarded and they were. I don't see why you felt the need to educate me or give advice. I think it was clear that the thread I started was to start a conversation about what is happening this week.

Actually, my "why do you care" post was in response to your post responding to mine in which you seemed to express the idea that you would be insulted somehow if UL was not in the top five. I don't see the polls as a "reward" or a "punishment". To me they are just an evaluation based on incomplete data. Since only twice in the past six years has a team in the top five at this stage won the championship, I don't see any point in worrying about them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT