ADVERTISEMENT

Where we are & What we need to do

LeFors4Ever

3500+
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2017
1. Brohm-It just didn't work out. You can't make a shot you don't take, and we went for the big fish and missed. He already had to start over at Purdue and he would've had to do it here again 2 years later. Rebuilding a program and installing a new culture has to be tiring. He has a good thing going at Purdue. He was L1C4 before most of you bandwagons showed up the last 10-15 years. Chose us over Notre Dame when we played in the dumb of a baseball stadium and told Nick Saban no to stay with us as a coach. You owe us nothing Jeff, keep doing us proud.

2. Who we need to get?-This program is in bad shape top to bottom. The talent is lacking and the culture is toxic. We need a program builder and someone who can bring in talent. Similar to Charlie and Fatty Stoops at UK, the program now is like what those two came into at their times...no talent and a losing culture. They focused on recruiting and changing mindsets...they weren't the best at calling plays and play calling made them look dumb in game, but they both rebuilt their programs with a focus on upping the talent level and a conservative physical mindset. It wasn't championship level ball, but it created a base for the program. My choice? Luke Fickell.

3. The Candidates

a. Luke Fickell-Defensive minded guy. Coached at a blue blood and was on staff for a national title. Probably has connections with good assistants. He took over and rebuilt Cincy who is in a decent conference. He's also been around this area, he knows the landscape. I think his championship pedigree and recruiting connections just make him the perfect guy. He probably could get a lot of his Cincy commits over to us and help salvage the class. (Has a Trinity kid and a Lexington kid in his current class) He coached defense under Urban Meyer, the last time we got a guy like that he rebuilt our program and won a Sugar Bowl.

b. Dino Babers-He's the PR hire. He's won at 3 different schools. Won big in the FCS. Won big at Group of 5 Bowling Green. Won and got Syracuse Ranked in the ACC. He's a winner. He's never been anywhere longer than 2-3 years, but he has rebuilt those programs. I also think he's the best suited to win with the guys we have right now. Our roster stinks, but we do have a lot of speed. Malik running his offense could be interesting to watch? Not completely sold on him, but he'd be a solid guy. Oh, and he's beaten Clemson?

c. Scott Satterfield-I mean I really don't see the fit, but he's a good coach. I think he can change the culture and has shown he is a "coach em up" type of guy. He can do a lot with less. He's never coached at this level. It's easy to coach up guys with FCS talent in the Sun Belt, but having a talent disadvantage in the ACC is a different story. He's been at Appalachian State for like 18 of the last 21 years, so where are his connections? I think he could be good, but it will take time.

x. Neal Brown-I put X because it won't happen. Our fanbase still believes in the conspiracy to take UofL down from within with UK double agents that will poison us from the inside. It will be a long rebuild and our fanbase won't accept him, so we can't afford to lose that attendance. Yes, I am taking a shot at you if you believe this, I think you take a rivalry too seriously. He won't be our coach, but whoever gets him eventually will be getting a great coach, hopefully sUcKs doesn't get him.

4. The Next few years- Guys, it's gonna be rough. This roster is bad and the attitudes are toxic. The recruiting class coming in is going to be bad to non-existent and nowhere near a power 5 level. A lot of players will transfer. We will be learning a new system. Next year will basically be a wash. The new coach won't even be able to get his own guys in until the 2020 season. We aren't looking at being remotely competitive until 2021 or even 2022.

That's what hurts about losing Brohm the most, he could've salvaged this class with some good players and wasn't too different from Bobby schematically. Jeff could've also provided hope to the fanbase, the stadium will be empty a lot over the next few years. I fear if the right hire is not made, we could lose a lot of support and it will take time to get it back.

Last edited:
Great post. I like Luke Fickell a lot too. He would instantly make UL a serious player recruiting in Ohio. It would be weird seeing Joker Phillips in a UL polo lol

Aww great, so ur saying joker Phillips is on Luke fickells staff, well nevermind, u convinced me, smh

Why don’t we just hire Stefan lefors now that we know we aren’t getting any of CAL’s recruits?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT