ADVERTISEMENT

Where do you rate the Heisman in UofL history?

Kratz

2500+
Nov 18, 2001
I've been pondering that and am not sure where it ranks. Definitely top 4 moments of the program.

My top 4 moments in no particular order.

Jackson winning the Heisman. No explanation necessary..

The Fiesta bowl over Bama. Put us on the map.

Beatings FSU the way we did this year. Solidified us as an upper echelon program.

Sugar Bowl over Florida. Everyone was laughing before the game. After the game, we were legitimized.

1. Winning 2018 National Title

2. Lamar8 wining the Heisman

3. Winning the Sugar Bowl

4. Hiring Coach Schnellenberger. Thanks Bill Olsen

5. Getting into the ACC.

6. Winning the Fiesta Bowl

7. Hiring Petrino -twice, who signed Lamar8

8 Beating FSU in 2016

9. Winning the Orange Bowl

10. Beating FSU in 2002

Last edited:

4. Hiring Coach Schnellenberger. Thanks Bud Olsen

5. Getting into the ACC.

8 Beating FSU in 2016

10. Beating FSU in 2002
I would add Teddy bridgewater being a cardinal
Kragthorpe being fired
Strong resurecting us.

4. Hiring Coach Schnellenberger. Thanks Bud Olsen

5. Getting into the ACC.

8 Beating FSU in 2016

10. Beating FSU in 2002
That would be Bill Olsen not Bud.

Just Football...
1. Hiring Howard Schnellenberger...Saved the Program
2. Joining the ACC...Secured the spot at the Big Boy Table
3. Heisman Trophy...Put a stamp on the Program while at the Big Boy Table

Last edited:
Reactions: American Male
i think the sugar bowl would be #1, this years fsu #2 and lamar's heisman third for the reasons that we were underdogs in the sugar bowl and in a second class league, then teddy took that huge hit and you're thinking oh man TB just got knocked silly and the big ol' boys from the sec were going to put a hurting on us and it'd be another bowl loss. but then teddy got up and proceeded to become legend. and our receivers tore their secondary up and the country saw something special. i think that night put us on the map more than anything showing that a 5 star kid like teddy could come out of florida and play big time football at our school.

then with this year's fsu game, people were amazed by lamar but everyone everywhere said he did it against inferior competition and just wait until fsu. i don't have to explain what happened next but that game put louisville now in the perennial national championship game talk. and put lamar at the head of the heisman race. and it was such a butt stomping that we were the talk of everyone everywhere with no ifs, and or buts attached to the talk.

and the reason his heisman is third is because we all knew it was going to happen after the fsu game. bobby was going to keep him in all year after that to help his numbers because dman, he was jsut simply amazing. but i give the heisman the third vote because i really don't think there was any suspense last night. if watson got a lot more first place votes than he did i always believed jackson would get all the second place votes anyways and still win the trophy, albeit maybe by a closer vote.

so by the shear unexpectedness of the sugar bowl domination followed by what happens in the fsu game compared to you knowing what the answer was going to be, that's how i rate my top three moments.

but overall, despite losing the last two games, and outside of watching bo jackson and mario lemeiux, i have never giggled and laughed with more amazement at what i saw lamar jackson do. i love going back to listen to the announcers calls of LJ as he's making his moves. goosebumps. but his moments were season long and i knew he'd win last night so his achievement as an individual moment is third. however, i will give the caveat that in the long term, the trophy will bring more money, players and exposure to the program and if we are not constantly rated in the top 10 from here on out we've screwed the pooch somehow. just my humble opinion.

Reactions: beasleythecard
I've been pondering that and am not sure where it ranks. Definitely top 4 moments of the program.

My top 4 moments in no particular order.

Jackson winning the Heisman. No explanation necessary..

The Fiesta bowl over Bama. Put us on the map.

Beatings FSU the way we did this year. Solidified us as an upper echelon program.

Sugar Bowl over Florida. Everyone was laughing before the game. After the game, we were legitimized.
1. Hiring Howard Schnellenberger - all the rest followed
2. Beating Florida in the Sugar Bowl
3. Entrance into the ACC
4. Lamar winning the Heisman
5. Keeping BB and Michael Bush at home.
6. Beating Alabama in the Fiesta Bowl
7. Entrance into the Big East
8. Teddy Bridgewater

2-8 are extremely close in my mind and subject to change. Lamar's Heisman has not fully sank in and it leads me to think about what might have happened if Michael had not suffered a broken leg or if Teddy had played for CBP. A lot of great memories and more to come.
It's early and still working on my 1st cup of coffee. Things may change after breakfast.

i think the sugar bowl would be #1, this years fsu #2 and lamar's heisman third for the reasons that we were underdogs in the sugar bowl and in a second class league, then teddy took that huge hit and you're thinking oh man TB just got knocked silly and the big ol' boys from the sec were going to put a hurting on us and it'd be another bowl loss. but then teddy got up and proceeded to become legend. and our receivers tore their secondary up and the country saw something special. i think that night put us on the map more than anything showing that a 5 star kid like teddy could come out of florida and play big time football at our school.

then with this year's fsu game, people were amazed by lamar but everyone everywhere said he did it against inferior competition and just wait until fsu. i don't have to explain what happened next but that game put louisville now in the perennial national championship game talk. and put lamar at the head of the heisman race. and it was such a butt stomping that we were the talk of everyone everywhere with no ifs, and or buts attached to the talk.

and the reason his heisman is third is because we all knew it was going to happen after the fsu game. bobby was going to keep him in all year after that to help his numbers because dman, he was jsut simply amazing. but i give the heisman the third vote because i really don't think there was any suspense last night. if watson got a lot more first place votes than he did i always believed jackson would get all the second place votes anyways and still win the trophy, albeit maybe by a closer vote.

so by the shear unexpectedness of the sugar bowl domination followed by what happens in the fsu game compared to you knowing what the answer was going to be, that's how i rate my top three moments.

but overall, despite losing the last two games, and outside of watching bo jackson and mario lemeiux, i have never giggled and laughed with more amazement at what i saw lamar jackson do. i love going back to listen to the announcers calls of LJ as he's making his moves. goosebumps. but his moments were season long and i knew he'd win last night so his achievement as an individual moment is third. however, i will give the caveat that in the long term, the trophy will bring more money, players and exposure to the program and if we are not constantly rated in the top 10 from here on out we've screwed the pooch somehow. just my humble opinion.
Bo Jackson, Mario Lemeiux and Lamar Jackson = Must See TV.

Reactions: glassmanJ
The 2002 FSU game might be the most memorable just because of the situation. Go back YouTube it - unbelievable atmosphere, pouring rain, Dave Ragone, and....Henry Miller!!

As to the most important, I still agree that CHS hiring is no.1 The program was about to be degraded to IAA, or dropped altogether. He changed everything.

Nobody, I repeat NOBODY, appreciates Howard's work any more than I do. But I also remember he left here in a snit (and ego fit) because he did not want to perform in a "lesser conference". He wanted to remain a major independent along with the likes of Notre Dame. Never mind that, at that time, ND wouldn't have scheduled us in ANY football event. We played the likes of Alabama, etc. either in a bowl game OR as their homecoming adversary. Major independent status would have totally failed UofL. Plus with our wonderful baseball stadium home we could not have survived as a major independent EVER. I say again, we had great wins but NONE OF WHAT happened this season (being in the CFP conversation, Heisman Trophy, etc.) would have happened as a part of the AAC, Big East or CUSA. The inclusion of the University of Louisville in the ACC (a P5 conference) is the ONLY reason we are where we are and that includes an expanded (twice) stadium. Football is the premiere college sport and being in a P5 conference is of ultimate importance.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: Cue Card
You said UofL history, not UofL football history so I'll say in my 50+ years:

1. 1980 Basketball National Title
1a. 1986 Basketball National Title
1b. 2013 Basketball National Title
4. Lamar's Heisman
5. Hiring of Tom Jurich
6. Hiring of Denny Crum
7. Hiring of Rick Pitino
8. Hiring of Howard Schnellenberger
9. Hiring of Bobby Petrino x2
9a. Hiring of Charlie Strong
9b. Signing Teddy Bridgewater
10. Hiring Dan McDonnell

I'm not sure why more people don't list the Orange Bowl? I know a lot of people think it was a crappy opponent but in reality the Orange was one of the Big Four bowls. Not sure the Fiesta Bowl was considered a major Bowl when we played Alabama.

Reactions: Cue Card
In terms of impact going forward, I would rate the Heisman very low since there is no evidence I can find of the award benefiting the recipient's program.

First off, since it usually goes to a player on a blue blood program, it is hard to measure any impact. Alabama won 12 national titles before any player from the program won the Heisman. They have won four since.

The only program comparable to UL is Baylor where RGIII won it in 2011. Baylor's Rivals recruiting rank for the 2011 class was 47th. For 2012 it was 46th. It then went to 31st, then 34th, then 43rd, then 56th this past spring (prior to the rape story breaking). Impossible to say the Heisman had much impact - at least sustained impact.

The reason it is meaningless for recruiting is most of the players have no shot at it anyway based solely on their position. No lineman (offensive or defensive), no linebacker, and no tight end have ever won it nor will they ever. Only one DB has ever won it. So when you are recruiting those players, the HT means nothing. It may help recruiting QB's, but who cares? You can win championships with average QB's - you have no chance with an average OL or DL or, for that matter, an average defense. Just look back at the last several BCS and CFP champions. There were a lot of average QB's - there were no average defenses or OL's.

It is a nice feather in Jackson's cap and something for the fans to tout. But, as far as its significance, it pales in comparison to all of the other moments you guys mentioned.

I intended this to be a football only thread, but I understand the guys wanting to mix basketball. IMO basketball has always stood on it's own. While we were considering dropping to 1AA in football, the basketball team was winning titles.

Now that I've had time to mull it over, I have to say that the Sugar Bowl was the biggest moment in UofL football history. We were completely disrespected by everyone. It was the largest point spread in the history of the BCS. I distinctly remember Herbstriet saying "Teddy Bridgewater? I don't care if Joe Montana is their QB, no way Louisville wins this game".

We totally dominated them from beginning to end. Terrell Floyds pick 6 on the first play set the tone. Florida tried to respond with thuggery with the late hit on Bridgewater. He shook it off and torched them all night. That was the night that everyone across the nation saw UofL in a different light.

I'm still undecided on 2-4, each has their own merit, but I think the Sugar Bowl changed the face of the program nationally. Mostly because it was so unexpected.

Not to take anything away from Lamar, but nothing happened last night that was unexpected. It was his to lose from the Clemson game forward. He slipped some at the end, but it was still clear that he was going to win.

'91 Fiesta is when it all began, UofL football entering the subconscious of the CFB world.

Lamar's Heisman is a game changer. History, perception, things will forever be different now. You can't put into words, actually. But without '91, I'm not sure Lamar, and all that's preceded him since then, happens.

Orange Bowl- I don't care Wake was the opponent. They were ACC champs. It was UofL's first BCS bowl win. It was monumental at the time.

Sugar- We shook up the world for all to see. Thanks, Teddy. Huge!

In terms of impact going forward, I would rate the Heisman very low since there is no evidence I can find of the award benefiting the recipient's program.

First off, since it usually goes to a player on a blue blood program, it is hard to measure any impact. Alabama won 12 national titles before any player from the program won the Heisman. They have won four since.

The only program comparable to UL is Baylor where RGIII won it in 2011. Baylor's Rivals recruiting rank for the 2011 class was 47th. For 2012 it was 46th. It then went to 31st, then 34th, then 43rd, then 56th this past spring (prior to the rape story breaking). Impossible to say the Heisman had much impact - at least sustained impact.

The reason it is meaningless for recruiting is most of the players have no shot at it anyway based solely on their position. No lineman (offensive or defensive), no linebacker, and no tight end have ever won it nor will they ever. Only one DB has ever won it. So when you are recruiting those players, the HT means nothing. It may help recruiting QB's, but who cares? You can win championships with average QB's - you have no chance with an average OL or DL or, for that matter, an average defense. Just look back at the last several BCS and CFP champions. There were a lot of average QB's - there were no average defenses or OL's.

It is a nice feather in Jackson's cap and something for the fans to tout. But, as far as its significance, it pales in comparison to all of the other moments you guys mentioned.

As it stands right now we are far ahead of where Baylor was at the end of the recruiting day back in 2011. Even though I think the recruiting list are akin to preseason polls in their total unworthiness for the purpose of this conversation those list are worth discussing. As it stands right now UofL is at 19th (Rivals) and 21st (Scout). So if UofL either finishes above those numbers or below then I guess that would translate into a positive or negative impact from Lamar's Heisman. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. By the way I'm not sure why UofL's numbers are seemingly far above where Baylor was back in 2011. Perhaps one of you "recruiting gurus" can fill me in on that count.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

1. Tie-Hiring Schnelly set us on the Collision Course
1. Hiring Tom Jurich KEPT us on the Collision Course. Had we not gotten TJ to get us back on track, I believe we would be a lower/mid CUSA team.

With out those two there is no 3, 4, etc.

Our #1 would still be beating top 10 Southern Miss back in the early 80's.

Ahhh........ You're taking me back rollem. Had some classic games with USM back then. Nagle vs Favre. I think I'm still pissed at that trick play they ran in the old stadium where the receiver was acting like he was talking to the coach on the side line, then as soon as the ball was snapped he took off and caught a TD.

One of my great prognostications from back in the day: Browning Nagle will be a better QB in the NFL than Favre. ;) Ooooopppppsssssss, kinda missed on that one.

Yes, there were some classics with USM.

But I thought the "talking to the coach" trick was at PJCS against JLS?

The old stadium was Favre bouncing the ball off one receivers head (or our DB, can't remember which), to another WR, for a game winning last play.

I think it was '82 when USM came into Fairgrounds Stadium ranked in the top 10 with Reggie Collier at QB, and we knocked them off.

All I know is, if TJ hadn't come when he did, those would still be the "highlights". We were headed down uk's path by choosing CUSA for BB over CHS's objections. It's why he left.

Then our "committee" picked Coop for HC.

Glad TJ is the "committee" now!!!!!

Yep, youre right on both counts. I had forgotten about the tipped ball, thanks for that........ LOL

The talking to the coach was in 09 and it was on a punt play.

Yep, youre right on both counts. I had forgotten about the tipped ball, thanks for that........ LOL

The talking to the coach was in 09 and it was on a punt play.

It was before then. JLS was still head coach. Could have been '99.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT