ADVERTISEMENT

What's going on with JJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPGhost

6000+
Jun 23, 2015
His production has gone way down corresponding to fewer minutes. There were a couple of instances yesterday where he took shots completely out of the offense - almost as if he was going to make sure he got some up before heading back to the bench. This year really has been a far cry from the end of last season / preseason talk about his upside and, him being an integral part of this team.

Reactions: pervisl
I think he understands the offense and has the ability to rebound. He just hasn't developed a down low move to be a consistent scorer. He is too much of a finesse player and needs to be a little stronger.

Reactions: BPGhost
I think he understands the offense and has the ability to rebound. He just hasn't developed a down low move to be a consistent scorer. He is too much of a finesse player and needs to be a little stronger.
I agree - he doesn't seem to be very athletic either. If he could develop the ability to pass out of the post like CO has, it would open things up for him as well.

I also think he is a little weak but has a lot of promise. If our guys can get stronger between now and next year we are going to be really special next year. The biggest gripe I have with Jaylen is he needs to realize when he gets the ball down low and he is getting doubled team or they are collapsing on him with 3 men kick it out.

Reactions: nccardfan
I'll tell you what's going on. He's not very talented (like most of our big men) and is a project (also like most of our big men). We simply aren't as talented as other elite programs. Is what it is

Ray has took his minutes because Johnson's not as good on defense. He's slow compared to Ray and gives up too many points. I think he's been trying to do too much on offense because he thinks he's a better offensive player than Ray and can get his minutes back. It's all part of what's going on now with this team and the ban. They can all say the right things when asked, but when the game is on, these guys are thinking about what's best for them. Not all, but some.

I think the freshmen are doing less of this because they know they have more years to go. None are one and done's so they're working at learning and getting better. Same goes for Anas and Matz. I feel Johnson, Nanu, Lee and Lewis are not. Maybe even Snider a little bit. It's understandable. This situation is just so rare.

Still not knowing what's yet to come with the NCAA, I won't be surprised if Johnson goes somewhere else. Assuming there's not another post season ban, I think Ray Spalding will be the starting PF next season. Johnson as a junior will have lost his starting job.

But, hopefully I'm wrong. I hope a lot of things I feel may happen is wrong.

Reactions: BPGhost
No he really doesn't. I'm not sure what you're basing this on. He's tall, so there's that. But that's about it. Another one of Rick's projects since he doesn't or can't sign truly elite talent.
Compared to who - calipari? Name the "truly elite" recruit on the championship team.

Look this program is a mess right now. Quit sugar coating it. No he doesn't sign elite talent. That's a fact. I'm well aware he won a title. Try and stay on topic

Ray has took his minutes because Johnson's not as good on defense. He's slow compared to Ray and gives up too many points. I think he's been trying to do too much on offense because he thinks he's a better offensive player than Ray and can get his minutes back. It's all part of what's going on now with this team and the ban. They can all say the right things when asked, but when the game is on, these guys are thinking about what's best for them. Not all, but some.

I think the freshmen are doing less of this because they know they have more years to go. None are one and done's so they're working at learning and getting better. Same goes for Anas and Matz. I feel Johnson, Nanu, Lee and Lewis are not. Maybe even Snider a little bit. It's understandable. This situation is just so rare.

Still not knowing what's yet to come with the NCAA, I won't be surprised if Johnson goes somewhere else. Assuming there's not another post season ban, I think Ray Spalding will be the starting PF next season. Johnson as a junior will have lost his starting job.

But, hopefully I'm wrong. I hope a lot of things I feel may happen is wrong.
Was thinking that same thing during the ND game - if someone transfers out (Avare doesn't count) it's going to be Johnson. He got hyped big time off season and it just hasn't translated.

Look this program is a mess right now. Quit sugar coating it. No he doesn't sign elite talent. That's a fact. I'm well aware he won a title. Try and stay on topic
Try and stay on topic - lol. The topic is about Johnson - pretty sure I'd remember that since I started the thread. Nobody's sugar coating anything - the situation is bad because of the Powell deal, not Pitino's recruiting.

Try and stay on topic - lol. The topic is about Johnson - pretty sure I'd remember that since I started the thread. Nobody's sugar coating anything - the situation is bad because of the Powell deal, not Pitino's recruiting.

Yes Johnson's lack of talent. Hence my post. Get over it.

No, he's just kind of a D-bag in general. Typically instigates with yut fans but since none are around currently, he's gotta get it out somehow.

Oh you're right I'm willing to call out my team too. You're a sunshine pumper....which is cool too if that's your schtick. Rah rah....go team!!

Oh you're right I'm willing to call out my team too. You're a sunshine pumper....which is cool too if that's your schtick. Rah rah....go team!!
Umm right - the thread is about how one of the players we thought would be integral to the team this year, isn't cutting it. Real sunshine pumper stuff.

Are you obtuse or is it that you just like to argue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT