ADVERTISEMENT

What has happened to Petrino

It depends on what you are comparing. In terms of being at the top of the conference the Big East didn't have a Clemson or FSU. West Virginia and Rutgers were good but they weren't on the level of FSU and Clemson both have won a title since Louisville arrived. No one in the Big East came realistically close to the title game besides Louisville/West Virginia. I will agree the middle of the pack teams aren't really that different. Louisville has lost a couple games it shouldn't in BC and Virginia other than that they have won most of their ACC games. Its not like Louisville won all those 50/50 games in the Big East either. They lost their share of those games too.

The truth is Louisville is chasing a monster in Clemson and FSU will be back. That is really no different than SEC teams chasing Bama. It is a different world.

What coach is out there that closes that gap? The one thing most concerning to me is recruiting, they just aren't getting the kind of players to close that gap. I just don't know if Louisville can ever consistently recruit at that level.

I would not agree. At that time, us and West Virginia were similar in terms of national status to Clemson and FSU although Clemson does have that national title and is on a good roll. Actually FSU has mostly been down since we entered the ACC other than maybe one year. Let's not forget that West Virginia team won two BCS bowl games beating the SEC and Big 12 champions and were consistently in the hunt for the national title just as we were in 2006. They likely would have won 3 straight if not for us stopping them. The rest of the Big East was good and balanced and we all said that at the time. Our big year in 2006 there were basically two top 10 teams in the Big East and Rutgers was top 15. Let's not downplay our old conference as an agenda to make the ACC sound better. Its just not.

Look we can argue conferences all day but no one can seriously say the teams 2.0 has fielded were anywhere near what 1.0 put together in terms of talent and ability. Those were legit top 10 teams and one was the best team in the country before the injury to Bush. May have been even after that. We are nowhere near anything like that now. Its a shame and people need to stop inventing excuses for Petrino.

Actually FSU has mostly been down since we entered the ACC other than maybe one year.
Actually FSU is 40-13 since UofL joined the ACC. Outside of the Gumps, Urban Liar’s squad, Clemson and maybe one or two others - every single D1 program would kill to be so “down” - lol.

Reactions: gocds
Actually FSU is 40-13 since UofL joined the ACC. Outside of the Gumps, Urban Liar’s squad, Clemson and maybe one or two others - every single D1 program would kill to be so “down” - lol.
My response was based on an assertion claiming FSU was elite along the lines of Clemson since we entered the ACC. That is simply not true. When we entered the Big East both us and West Virginia were better than what FSU has been the last 4 seasons.

It is true - Petrino hasn't gotten it done against the upper tier SEC, or middling SEC when given the opportunity, or Clemson. There has been no major break through into being a top program.

Then again, there has never been such a sustained performance at this school. The talent pool at the HS level in the state is below par, and the school has little to no tradition.

Averaging 8.5 wins as a member of the ACC (9,8,9,8) puts the program in the T25 hunt basically every other year, and nowhere near a mediocre place.

Projecting is fine - call it what it is - a prediction. Which could end up being correct.

But his Louisville teams haven't won only between 5-7 games once in his 2.0 so I understand why some fans aren't abandoning the coach or even this team yet.

We need to see them in the ACC for me to lean one way or the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman and BPGhost
My response was based on an assertion claiming FSU was elite along the lines of Clemson since we entered the ACC. That is simply not true. When we entered the Big East both us and West Virginia were better than what FSU has been the last 4 seasons.
Actually the response was to a post saying that West Virginia and Rutgers were two teams that were at the top of the conference in the Big East and that they lacked in comparison to Florida State Clemson in the ACC. Where I might grant you that West Virginia had as much prominence during that period of time as Clemson has had while UofL has been in the ACC, except of course the national title, there’s no way that Rutgers compares to FSU - even remotely. During UofL’s time in the ACC (and for the immediate three years preceding their entrance) FSU’s winning percentage was .798 while a similar comparison of Rutgers record while Louisville was in the big east (and the three years preceding their entrance) shows that Rutgers winning percentage was .547.

UofL’s winning percentage in the BE and three years prior was .637.

And finishing ahead of LSU and Auburn and in top 20 status. Petrino built the Arky program out of nothing and got better every year and finally to a BCS bowl. 2.0 at Louisville has not improved anything after 5 years and now has less talent in the program than what he inherited.

Spot on!

What changed about him this stint? His teams are less disciplined than my grade school teams. The man has lost it. I'm a Petrino fan too, but I think it may be time to hang it up.
I have to say I think what happened to Bobby happened is the same thing that happened to Tiger.What ever swag,mojo, or confidence that came from them chasing tail is gone now.I think that whatever "demons" they had to purge in order for them to redeem themselves in the eyes of their respective families have left them a shell of their for selves.Whoever that guy is who is standing on the sidelines is not the same guy that was here the first time for sure.

I have to say I think what happened to Bobby happened is the same thing that happened to Tiger.What ever swag,mojo, or confidence that came from them chasing tail is gone now.I think that whatever "demons" they had to purge in order for them to redeem themselves in the eyes of their respective families have left them a shell of their for selves.Whoever that guy is who is standing on the sidelines is not the same guy that was here the first time for sure.

Apples and kumquats. That is the difference between Bobby 1.0 and Bobby 2.0. We are in a “real” conference and have a very real schedule. And, in fact, Bobby has an average win total per season of 8.5 wins per year versus that very much improved schedule. You know, the one we begged for back in the day and now that we’ve got it . . . . . Some people won’t ever be happy. If you think that Bobby is satisfied then you simply don’t get it. And, by the way, that major power Northwestern beat uahkay by one point in their bowl game. Yeah, that’s the same uahkay team that we beat 44-17 AT THEIR HOUSE the game before their bowl game with Northwestern.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT