ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to The Show Henry!

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
Davis makes debut tonight for reeling Pirates team.
He's expected "to be used in several ways "

Awesome news!! Go get em Henry!

Reactions: CardX and Bardman
There's been an influx of rookies making their MLB debuts in grand style this season. The Pirates are figuring maybe the #1 overall pick will do the same?

Just last week there were two guys making their debut with walk off wins. A pitcher making his debut for the Dodgers threw 6 no hit innings before he was taken out. The Cards own Bobby Miller shut down the mighty Braves in his debut as well.

MLB is changing big time with the new rules and young players are getting their chances a lot sooner than usual.

Read a tweet or something of the like about HD having fewer minor league at bats than any 1st pick in memory. Idk if that's true or not, but I'm thinking now that he appears to be healthy,he's being counted on to try and re-ignite the fire that was in that Pirates clubhouse before Cruz got hurt.
Btw,I don't think Cruz is out for the season. I'm reading tea leaves-maybe after the All Star game. He's out of the boot he was wearing.

Teams like the Pirates, Reds, Marlins, Diamondbacks, Orioles, Angels and the Rangers who haven't seen post season very much over the last 20 years, are currently right in the mix to make it this season.

The big dogs like the Yankees, Redsox, Mets, Phillies, Cardinals, and Giants all are behind those upstart teams. Some worse than others. Even a few of the dominant big boys like the Dodgers and Astros are underachieving.

Of course the best team in baseball is a big dog who's on their way to a 2nd world series title in 3 years. 😎

I'm predicting a Braves/Rays World Series.

Another former Card, Brian Hoering is so far shutting out the Blue Jays for the Marlins tonight.

Now if Brandon McKay can ever get healthy and play again.

Reactions: rh62531
Henry launches his 1st of many last night. Wish my phone would let me share, but you guys can probably manage seeing the video if you haven't already.
He mauled it!!

I still have no idea how that team coming out of Covid sucked so bad. Offensively it was loaded but it was wildly inconsistent.

Ok so I know we were talking in the other thread about Davis and whether or not right field was going to be his permanent home.
There are several articles out there from Pittsburgh writers about what plans the Pirates have the rest of the season as they continue to mathematically eliminate themselves from any chance at a wildcard (if they haven't already)
I've read a couple and although his glove work is cited as an issue,Pirates management says he is improving and have not discounted the chance that he can still play there,along with Rodriguez.

Translation: Expect to see him there quite a bit more the last two months of the season, as long as the Pirates are out.
I always thought that HD's leadership in that catching spot over here at Patterson was why he was worth getting a chance to improve defensively and show that with the Pirates- at that position.
Should be fun to see if he can do it. That would be great to see him doing what we all got to see him doing.

He committed an error in right field yesterday letting the ball go past him to the wall. He's learning the outfield at the highest level. If the Pirates wanted him to catch, he would be catching at the highest level.

The Pirates traded catcher Austin Hedges and they still didn't move Davis behind the plate. They called up another rookie who the Pirates apparently want to catch.

Also, Davis is not in the lineup only due to his bat. Going into yesterday he was 4 out of his last 52. He's playing every day because the Pirates want him to learn the outfield. They don't see him behind the plate. It's as obvious as it can be.

He committed an error in right field yesterday letting the ball go past him to the wall. He's learning the outfield at the highest level. If the Pirates wanted him to catch, he would be catching at the highest level.

The Pirates traded catcher Austin Hedges and they still didn't move Davis behind the plate. They called up another rookie who the Pirates apparently want to catch.

Also, Davis is not in the lineup only due to his bat. Going into yesterday he was 4 out of his last 52. He's playing every day because the Pirates want him to learn the outfield. They don't see him behind the plate. It's as obvious as it can be.
That's not what they're saying. They're saying they haven't given up on him catching yet-thats what they are saying, not me.

They called up another rookie who the Pirates apparently want to catch.
Yeah,Rodriguez. See my post 2 back. They want both guys to catch. Coach says it gives them more flexibility with the lineup 🤷‍♂️

Well, Davis has caught only two innings so far. I suppose the Pirates may still give him a shot to catch, but as of now, it looks like they like his arm from right field.

He's not starting tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT