ADVERTISEMENT

Weird discussion at the WBB today

CardsFirst

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2007
My wife at I arrived at the game just as it was starting so we sat in the row behind are normal seat on the isle to avoid disturbing everyone. So the guy sitting next to me in the second half looks at me and says “Your not going to like what I’m going to say, but Walz needs to be fired” I’m yeah right you’ve lost your mind. The lady sitting in front of him loses her mind and tells him that Walz is the best coach at UofL, which I agree. Well along with CDM.
Anyway I ask why do you think that, I’m curious at this point. My wife is telling me to stop. She thinks it’s escalating to fight, which it wasn’t we were merely having a spirited debate. He says because the team has no chemistry and it’s the coaches job to create chemistry and that he hasn’t won a NC. Then he starts a BS argument line, which made no sense. So I argue even Crum and Pitino had down years. The he says you think Pitino is a good coach. Of course my answer is yes. He never debated Crum. Wonder why? End of the argument he basically said Calimari should be fired because he can’t win NC and that Coach Knis the only good coach in his mind. Can’t argue Coach K’s coaching ability. Very odd.
Are you ready for the kicker? The thing that makes all of this make sense kinda? He says “My wife and our SuCk fans and we just come to the games because we cheer on the Cards too. Says he played BB and AAU ball so he knows what he’s talking about. Geez.
Moral to the story sit in my own seats from now on.

Unfortunately, winning national titles is what coaches are really valued at. Both Walz and the Cards baseball coach McDonnell, have dominated the regular season and turned UofL from an also ran to a elite program in both sports.

Yet, neither has won it all. Walz has been to four final 4's and McDonnell 7 or so world series appearances and it has been due to their coaching ability. However, if neither end up winning a national championship, there will always be people saying they should be replaced.

A good example of a similar coach who went from creating a consistent winner at a school that wasn't a elite program to a championship program is Jay Wright at Villanova. He won multiple titles with no NBA stars and since he retired, Villanova is back to losing again.

I really expect Walz to get there as he has all the tools in the women's game but I do agree this season hasn't been his best. But that happens to all good coaches and in no way does it make sense he would be fired. Talk about a self inflicted injury that would be.

You have the patience of Job CF; I would have acted like I never heard the fool's initial statement, as he would have lost me right then.
I would have but he looked right at me. Should have just said really and ignored him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2330859
My wife at I arrived at the game just as it was starting so we sat in the row behind are normal seat on the isle to avoid disturbing everyone. So the guy sitting next to me in the second half looks at me and says “Your not going to like what I’m going to say, but Walz needs to be fired” I’m yeah right you’ve lost your mind. The lady sitting in front of him loses her mind and tells him that Walz is the best coach at UofL, which I agree. Well along with CDM.
Anyway I ask why do you think that, I’m curious at this point. My wife is telling me to stop. She thinks it’s escalating to fight, which it wasn’t we were merely having a spirited debate. He says because the team has no chemistry and it’s the coaches job to create chemistry and that he hasn’t won a NC. Then he starts a BS argument line, which made no sense. So I argue even Crum and Pitino had down years. The he says you think Pitino is a good coach. Of course my answer is yes. He never debated Crum. Wonder why? End of the argument he basically said Calimari should be fired because he can’t win NC and that Coach Knis the only good coach in his mind. Can’t argue Coach K’s coaching ability. Very odd.
Are you ready for the kicker? The thing that makes all of this make sense kinda? He says “My wife and our SuCk fans and we just come to the games because we cheer on the Cards too. Says he played BB and AAU ball so he knows what he’s talking about. Geez.
Moral to the story sit in my own seats from now on.
I was sitting behind you! 🤪

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT