ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend scrimmage

Any feedback?
Went out yesterday. Kuehner having issues with his breaking ball,but I half expect them all to in the chilly weather.
I wasn't there long, but long enough to see three dingers by Beard, King and Hawkins.

I was over for a short time today. Supposed to be sunny but it was cold,too cold for me.
McCoy is a mountain of a man. One of the parents said the players call him Superman.
He's here to play for sure.

I think I said it before, but these guys hit it everywhere and these Freshmen can all play. Should any of them get their chance, it's possible they won't look back.

Good and thank you. I think several guys certainly have the ability to hit the long ball - which is great. I always debate (with myself) do you need that one (or two) guy who, when he comes to the plate, the coach tells the OFs to move back (LOL)? Maybe not. You said before, if you have guys who hit the ball all over the field and can produce multi-base hits…I think that is what I’d prefer. Solid, to above average, contact hitting gets the job done every time.

I think it's good just to have guys that can keep the outfield honest,whether or not this team hits 70 home runs. There are several guys that can go deep,who just put the barrel on the ball. That's all we're looking for. Just drive it..

how about speed on the bases, does this roster approach that advantage that we enjoyed last season?

I haven’t seen them like Earsky; however, from what I have read we should still have plenty if speed. Usher was a standout for sure so maybe not a guy like that. Yet, several others have enough speed to grab extra bases and steal enough bases to make things interesting.

Reactions: 2330859
It has been a trademark of CDM baseball here at UL ......... hope it continues

how about speed on the bases, does this roster approach that advantage that we enjoyed last season?
They can all run and they all will I think,including McCoy who's 6'5.
There are about 8 games before the trip to Houston and we'll probably see guys actually battling for spots during those 8 games and probably thru mid March to get an idea which way Mac goes,heading into conference play. But back to it,they hit and run,all of the guys vying for time.

The downfall of the team 2 years ago was way too many strikeouts in key spots. Their pitching and defense were below average as well.

Based off last year and these reports I would say this offense has a good mix of power and contact guys. Crazy to think Beard may end up a DH. His bat will keep him in the lineup somewhere. Christian, Payton and Humphrey are all good using the whole field.

Baseball comes down to pitching. I think the magic number this year is going to be giving up 4-5 runs. If they can consistently be there this offense should be good enough to win those game a majority of time.

Two potential weekend guys going toe to toe thru 4. Both getting in and out of some jams,but I had to leave. Red looks pretty good and Farone is a serious competitor. Both of those guys and Kuehner are.

There are some new faces trying to get some serious time in the outfield. I think Humphrey is an every day guy, Benson and King looking strong, but a host of guys are pushing for their chance at some point.

JUCO transfer Mangum, Hawkins and true
Freshmen Dickerson and Lippe are all nice looking players.
The vets probably get the nod but sometimes guys get a shot and don't look back. Most recently, Humphrey comes to mind.

I am interested in Farone. He could be a big boost. Question is…does nail down the Sunday role or do you go with him midweek. If he is strong enough…gotta get those midweek games!

One advantage the Mac has is there are at least 9 innings to find the guys who can pitch effectively; in the past some of the high expectation guys failed to deliver and that opened up some opportunities for others to step up.

The kid from Paducah Tillman has impressed me every time I've seen him,going back to Fall ball and yesterday was no different.
Justin West is hardly imposing on the mound at 6 foot 3 and 185,but he has command of his pitches and knows how to find the zone. Nasty curveball to go with a pinpoint fastball that tops out at about 88.
This lefty will be a nice addition to the bullpen. He kept the black team in check fairly well yesterday. Probably a situational type reliever this season and maybe a guy to watch going forward next year.

Reactions: Deeva and Bardman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT