ADVERTISEMENT

Vrabel on Why Titans Released Dez Fitzpatrick whom they traded up for

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
There are always surprise releases on cut-down day in the NFL, but the Tennessee Titans made one of the most intriguing moves. On Tuesday, the team released fourth-round pick wide receiver Dez Fitzpatrick after an uninspiring preseason. Tennessee still has Fitzpatrick, as he went unclaimed on waivers and was re-signed to the practice squad, but it was still a notable decision.

After his bout with COVID-19, Titans head coach Mike Vrabel returned to the facilities and spoke with reporters on Wednesday. He addressed the decision to waive Fitzpatrick, saying the Louisville product needs to show more consistency and "willingness to play without the football in your hand," according to the Titans' official website. Vrabel said his staff will continue to coach him up, "and we'll see where it all goes as the season unfolds."

Fitzpatrick was more than just a fourth-round selection. Tennessee actually gave up a fifth-round pick and a seventh-round pick in the draft to move up to select him. CBS Sports NFL Draft Writer Ryan Wilson had the Titans selecting Fitzpatrick nearly 100 picks later in the sixth round in his seven-round mock draft. The 23-year-old has good size at 6-foot-2, 208 pounds, and caught 43 passes for 833 yards and three touchdowns last season with Louisville. He also averaged 19.4 yards per catch in 2020.

Fitzpatrick struggled mightily with drops in training camp and in joint practices, but did make plays in the final two preseason games including a 23-yard touchdown catch against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, which showed what he's capable of. The Titans are not lacking at wide receiver anymore, and may even have to cut another as players start to come off of the Reserve/COVID list. Fitzpatrick's story is yet to be written, and it sounds like the team will keep a close eye on him as he continues to develop.

That's the NFL. You win some and lose some. They've failed on some picks, but also hit on Jeff Simmons and AJ Brown. It's a gamble at the highest level.
For sure, they seem to be competitive most years but it is super bizarre to trade up to draft a guy and then cut him without there being any off field issue.

Lots of rookies struggle in training camp.... everyone you line up against is usually somebody else's last year all conference, or all American....plus realising the guys you go against aren't worried about a schollie or a party, because they are playing to feed their family. Coach's comment About playing without the ball is solid as well...Tennessee is at heart give it to Derrick Henry and everybody else block.

You can learn the easy way or the hard way early in life, do your absolute best at everything you need to do. Give it your all. Wonder if some of their bad coaching years didn't instill work/life values (duh, doubtful) to help these young men succeed down the road. Great coaches wear many hats and not just the xx's oo's hats. IMO, Satt & co had a hard time trying to change some attitudes.

We have all seen players that just out-talent those they are up against, but at the next level have difficulty not only develop in their talent, but picking up different parts of the game....blocking, running routes hard as you can even if you KNOW the play is designed to go somewhere else.
Unfortunately for Fitzpatrick, according to reports up until the last week he also had a case of butterfingers where he simply couldn't hold on to the ball. He seemed to bring that around at the last, but all that stuff sticks....especially if your head coach was a linebacker who got through with more.grit than pure flash.
He still has his foot in the door.

Looks like to me they like him but were willing to risk losing him to send him a message. When they say "needs a willingness to play without the ball in your hands" they are basically saying you need to block. The Titan's biggest offensive weapon is Derrick Henry, so it is important for the receivers to block because they run the ball a lot.
I'm a little surprised by the dropped balls because he did not have that issue at UL. But the balls have a lot more heat on them in the NFL.

NFL is often a tough transition. Guys are bigger, faster, hit harder, and are playing to feed their families.

Plus it seems like a thousand receivers hit the draft very year.

Reactions: gocds
Are there stats on dropped balls in college, because the way I remember it he did have the same issue here at times. I always felt that was why he wasn't the featured guy we all thought he should be. Maybe I am misremembering, but I hope he hangs on there and makes the progress he needs to because he probably won't get another chance if teams think he can't catch.

Reactions: PHCARD
He really thrived when Lamar was here and defenses were sold out on stopping the run. He always had the talent, but he just never had that gear to become a star like say a Devante Parker.

He reminds me of James Quick, a lot of talent there to be a top WR, but never really made that step to become the man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT