ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball falls to OSU in four sets

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
Not a great night in the LNFCU, as the VolleyCards won the first set against Ohio State but dropped the final three.

25-17, 15-25, 23-25, 17-25

Anna de Beer led the way in kills. Louisville faces Purdue next

--sonja--

I saw the first set in its entirety, but only intermittently over the next 3 sets. Regrettably, what I witnessed was a UL team that was no where close to the remarkable 2021 roster.

These ladies should remain in top 10-20, but if their performance on Sunday is any indication, I cannot imagine they will be in the NC conversation this year. Perhaps it was just a bad day for them, but at times they were woefully inept defensively.

I watched the match and we did not play very well I hope we put this behind us and do better. I don’t understand why we didn’t go back to the lineup rotation we used in the first set. Cara Cressee was doing great but we didn’t use her as much after the first set. I hate to say this but I don’t know why Aikio Jones gets as much time as she does.
She hits a lot of shots out of bounds and when the ball is hit directly to her she doesn’t react well. To me it was kind of frustrating to watch because it seemed as if our offense was setting OSU up for their scores by the way we were placing our shots. However I think a loss early in the season is always good for you it shows what you need to work on.

we didn’t play well the game before. There is a whole lot of pressure living up to what we did last year. Every team is going to play their best against us and hopefully after that loss we can regroup and start fine tuning. Defensively, we are not passing the ball well at all. We have some new additions to the lineup, it’s going to take awhile to reach the level of consistency we had last year.

Aikido Jones appears to have an attitude issue. I can’t put my finger on it but it definitely showed yesterday. I hope she turns it back into a positive vibe moving forward. As far as the matches, we consistently set OSU up for kill shots. We were lacking in the middle as well.

Aikido Jones appears to have an attitude issue. I can’t put my finger on it but it definitely showed yesterday. I hope she turns it back into a positive vibe moving forward. As far as the matches, we consistently set OSU up for kill shots. We were lacking in the middle as well.
I didn’t see an attitude, I just saw a frustrated player that was missing. She participated in the team cheers when she was benched.

They did not play well. OSU played really well and they were due.

True. But, they lost to Texas twice and San Diego. ‘Good’ losses.

OSU has a really tough schedule I will give them credit for that they have been tested. I think we need to get better if we want to make another run this year. Some of that could be team chemistry which should get better as the year goes on. We looked out of sync and part of that is having new players not knowing their teammates as well.
I also think we got spoiled after last year and losing one match has us concerned. It actually is a nice problem to have. I looked forward to the rest of the season and with hard work we should be a contender again.

Reactions: Deeva
My comparison of 2022 to 2021 is not a fair one, and it was not intended to disparage these ladies. I just think the 2021 team set a very high bar that exceeds the ability of our current group.

I appreciate your opinion. I try not to make such comparisons so early in the year. The one thing you can say about the Cards is that they don't shy away facing tough opponents. The Cards next play the Cats at Lexington, at Stanford, and at Miami. That plus the earlier games comprise an imposing schedule and few of us thought that they would escape without a defeat or two. The parity among teams is clearly obvious. I wonder what opinions would have been rendered if Kentucky had defeated U of L last year. That win by the Cards was by a very slim margin. It makes one ponder.

The Cards lost an imposing two players in Anna and Tori, but seem to have made up some ground in signing Raquel Lazaro. Phekran Kong and Cary Cresse show much promise but need to know where to go and at the right time so to speak. The others are playing like we thought they would. This team could well be an even more more formidable by the end of the season.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT