ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia is damn good but...

ShortCreek

Three-Star Poster
Jul 17, 2008
I felt they got a damn friendly whistle. I don’t bitch much about officiating but chew on this:

* UVA was not called for a personal foul until the 5:19 mark of the first half

* UVA got away with multiple obvious travel calls

I think they get almost as good a whistle in the favor as the kitties get @ Rupp!

They are known as “a team that doesn’t foul or make mistakes”. So of course they get away with both at home with ACC officials. In the NCAA Tournament, not so much.

My favorite was their Guard that two hand shoved McMahon to the ground to get open in the 2nd half and after being called for the push-off had a face to face whine job with the ref that lasted forever.

Still, give them credit. They’ve found their niche.

Reactions: wilkie01
I felt they got a damn friendly whistle. I don’t bitch much about officiating but chew on this:

* UVA was not called for a personal foul until the 5:19 mark of the first half

* UVA got away with multiple obvious travel calls

I think they get almost as good a whistle in the favor as the kitties get @ Rupp!
That’s not the reason we lost. They only average 11 fouls a game and that includes home and away.

We did a good job of hanging in with a pretty good team at midseason (not so much at postseason). But I never thought we really had a chance after the game started. You have to play a smart, mistake-free game to beat them because that's how they play. And we don't do enough of that. Too many TOs, too many drives to the basket that don't finish, too many wild shots put up guys with more experience (Adel and Q) AKA bad leadership.

Let's see if we can cut down on that stuff for Senior Nite...

We lost mainly because of turnovers - and the occasional questionable shot.

We shot 50% for the game - That is good enough to win most games.
We shot 44.4% from behind the arc. That is good enough to win most games.
We outrebounded UVA by 1 and gave up just 6 offensive rebounds. That is good enough to win most games.
We went 6 for 6 from the free throw line. 100%. UVA shot 9 and hit 7. That is good enough to win most games.
We had 13 turnovers. UVA had 7. THAT is why we lost the game. UVA turned UofL's turnovers into points. UofL did not turn UVA's turnovers into points at the same pace. That is what created the deficit which the Cards could never recover from.

UVA is damn good. Not taking anything away from them. I think we're pretty good too with a higher ceiling. We WILL beat UVA in the YUM! Center on Senior day because we'll be closer to our ceiling by then.

JMO.

We outrebounded UVA by 1 and gave up just 6 offensive rebounds. That is good enough to win most games.
We went 6 for 6 from the free throw line. 100%. UVA shot 9 and hit 7. That is good enough to win most games.
We had 13 turnovers. UVA had 7. THAT is why we lost the game. UVA turned UofL's turnovers into points. UofL did not turn UVA's turnovers into points at the same pace. That is what created the deficit which the Cards could never recover from.

UVA is damn good. Not taking anything away from them. I think we're pretty good too with a higher ceiling. We WILL beat UVA in the YUM! Center on Senior day because we'll be closer to our ceiling by then.

JMO.

Agree, we have to have better shot selection and our players must play under control. Unless we correct this we will keep beating our self.

Reactions: eastwood45789

JMO.
I definitely believe it can happen. I am kind of a knee jerk reaction guy but I think CDP needs to make another lineup change. We are getting almost nothing from Williams as a starter. I think our two weaknesses are rebounding and ball movement. Adel has been rebounding a little better but VJ plays 30 minutes and gets 3 rebounds a game. Either we insert Sutton and replace Williams or we start McMahon with Snider in the back court.

Reactions: wilkie01
We did a good job of hanging in with a pretty good team at midseason (not so much at postseason). But I never thought we really had a chance after the game started. You have to play a smart, mistake-free game to beat them because that's how they play. And we don't do enough of that. Too many TOs, too many drives to the basket that don't finish, too many wild shots put up guys with more experience (Adel and Q) AKA bad leadership.

Let's see if we can cut down on that stuff for Senior Nite...
Yeah, I don’t even know if poor shot selection really describes it. We went to Mahmoud down low at least three times, gimmes or bunnies is what I call them, and he rushed his shots right at the rim. This against a team with really no true shot blocker than Diakite.

Reactions: zipp and wilkie01
To touch on poor shot selection, when we got close it felt like each individual was trying to be the hero so we were jacking up ugly contested shots. Several times one more pass would have gotten us a wide open shot. Still seems that they are more about me than the team but we will see

Reactions: zipp and wilkie01

JMO.

It's never been done before. The Cards have never lost a game when they shoot 50% from the field and 100% from the FT line, until last night. That's pretty amazing.

You know, there was a brief moment when I thought the Cards were going to win. UVA played a great game. They hit some huge shots. They are beatable, however.

It's never been done before. The Cards have never lost a game when they shoot 50% from the field and 100% from the FT line, until last night. That's pretty amazing.

You know, there was a brief moment when I thought the Cards were going to win. UVA played a great game. They hit some huge shots. They are beatable, however.

That's one thing that sort of worries me about the next game against them. I'm not sure the Cards can shoot that well again against their defense, however hopefully UVA won't shoot so many shots out their ass the second time either.

UVA offense actually beat the Cards this time.

Definitely have to cut down the turnovers too.

Reactions: Cue Card

That, and Kyle Guy slinging up 3 pointers like an 11 year old kid in Buddy League Basketball and they all go in.

Whoomp, there it is.

One more thing. Kyle Guy from UVA and Matt Farrell from Notre Dame and all of their 3 pointers have me wanting to join the Black Panthers so I can start the Revolution and end this crap.

Reactions: zipp
Yeah, I don’t even know if poor shot selection really describes it. We went to Mahmoud down low at least three times, gimmes or bunnies is what I call them, and he rushed his shots right at the rim. This against a team with really no true shot blocker than Diakite.

It wasn't this game, but I remember a recent one where Anas got a rebound under the rim and he shot it back up FROM HIS CHEST instead of taking it directly to the rim.

Reactions: nccardfan
They hit some crazy lucky shots with hands in their faces. They just won. Granted, they don't get called for stuff they should, but it is what it is. I think, overall, it was an okay showing. We were tied well into the 20's before the wheels fell off. Seems like a consistent thread in our losses is the last 5, first 5 surrounding halftime. We just seem to end the half poorly and have trouble starting. Shot selection hurt us and Q driving a few unnecessary times, couple of Mahmoud walks and a couple other errors just sealed our fate. I do like that they kept playing and got it back to 5. The Guy guy was just unconscious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT