ADVERTISEMENT

Vacation story; UL/Recruiting related

CARDOMYTE

6000+
Gold Member
Mar 31, 2003
It's long, but bare with me.

So we took the family to Destin for vacation last week. Had a blast, but drove from Indy. I'd venture to bet that 50% min of I65 is under construction from North of IL to Bama. Good grief it's ridiculous. Saw a few cards fans, and of course some cayuts.

Driving through AL and with our kids getting somewhat restless, I decided to introduce them to the Finebaum show (in small segments). They thought it was hilarious, at least the callers. It turned out to create this whole theme of the week yelling "roll tide" at Auburn fans, and "war eagle" at Bama peeps on the beach, and gas stations. Then a few places we stopped that would have Aub/AL gear/junk, they would make a point of putting other teams in front of them on the shelves. Story for another day, but this is all relevant for later in this post.

So on the way home, getting stuck in a few spots along the way, we needed a break and decided to stop in Nashville at a mall to "walk it off". As my wife was looking in some store, me and the boys found this local sports store. Basically a Tenn version of Carboard heros. I suggested we go in to kill time, and my youngest says "why, it's nothing but Tenn garbage, why do we need to go there?". I can't make this stuff up. My oldest then says "well, they have bama stuff in the window, so we could go laugh at the roll tide and war eagle stuff". What can I say, we're a family that's easily entertained...

So we get half way in, and it's all SEC and Titans stuff. The lady working tells us that the small back corner wall is 75% off. From about 30 feet away I notice a picture at the very top, and say "no way" at the same time my oldest says "dad, is that a picture of Brian Brohm?". I said surely not, but it looks like it. Sure enough, it's a cool canvas picture of him from the Rutgers game throwing a pass. I asked how much, and she said I think it's about $30. After getting it down, it was $100, marked down to $50, then 75% off.

By now my wife has arrived and is talking to the employee. The lady of course asks if we were from Lou and what not, and we talk through that.

Now the recruiting tidbit. She tells us that a family of a local kid had just been in the store about 3-4 weeks ago and spent $800 on UL "Stuff", apparel and acc, etc..., in preparation for his "commitment party". It didn't hit me right away, but later got that it was Tylin Oden. Then she says that another of her employees goes to school with him, and they're good friends. He said that he de-committed though, and they've been waiting for the mom to bring all the stuff back, but they hadn't yet. I have no idea if this means anything or not, but to think they bought that much stuff should mean something, and then they're still keeping it. Sign?

So back to the picture, it's a poster size print on canvas. I offered $10, and she said, "it's been here for years, just to say I sold it, it's yours". Pretty cool piece to add to the collection.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News