ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today's top 100

Most of this poll is a popularity contest. Of course it’s difficult to miss most of the Top Ten teams but the rest is simply on who you like or don’t like. I think I’ll wait until a few games have been played before I’ll accept the results of any poll.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Can you imagine if we upset Bama?

It won’t be “Watch out for Louisville!”

It will be “What’s wrong with Bama?”

The perception is some people are always good, but most aren’t.

That’s polls.

Most of this poll is a popularity contest. Of course it’s difficult to miss most of the Top Ten teams but the rest is simply on who you like or don’t like. I think I’ll wait until a few games have been played before I’ll accept the results of any poll.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!
I realize that. Its more of a beauty contest to get a feel for where your program is perceived by the national media and something to debate over the summer.

Reactions: wilkie01
Shows the futility of pre-season polls. Should be a rule that no polls come out until at a minimum of 2 or 3 games have been played.

Popularity contests bad, empirical data good right Zipp?.

Reactions: zipp
Can you imagine if we upset Bama?

It won’t be “Watch out for Louisville!”

It will be “What’s wrong with Bama?”

The perception is some people are always good, but most aren’t.

That’s polls.

luckily for the talking heads that won't be a thing. Bama is going to eat UofL and it should. glad UofL is throwing themselves to the wolves though. it's good imo.

luckily for the talking heads that won't be a thing. Bama is going to eat UofL and it should. glad UofL is throwing themselves to the wolves though. it's good imo.
It’s been a long time since I didn’t feel like we had a chance against somebody. I don’t like it.

But that’s the difference between the haves and have nots.

It’s been a long time since I didn’t feel like we had a chance against somebody. I don’t like it.

But that’s the difference between the haves and have nots.

Well, no one gave Schnellie's Cardinal team much of a chance vs Bama in the Fiesta Farce Bowl back in the day either..and we saw how that worked out.o_O:D

Faith, preparation and a little bit of confidence can go a long way.;)

I would rather be the underdog in a game like this anyways.:oops:o_O:D:p

Seize the opportunity....don't get many chances vs a team of Bama's magnitude.

These early polls are stupid. They are based on what happen last year. No poll is of any value until about the fifth game of any season. Given Alabama is top 10, but #1, well maybe. I will wait a while until the season starts to unfold. Go Cards!

Well, no one gave Schnellie's Cardinal team much of a chance vs Bama in the Fiesta Farce Bowl back in the day either..and we saw how that worked out.o_O:D

Faith, preparation and a little bit of confidence can go a long way.;)

I would rather be the underdog in a game like this anyways.:oops:o_O:D:p

Seize the opportunity....don't get many chances vs a team of Bama's magnitude.
Not everybody. I honestly felt we had a GOOD chance in that Fiesta Bowl. And of course we did.

But that's my problem this time. I don't have that feeling with this bunch. We may end up being hell on wheels, but there is nothing to base it on.

I don't think we're a 30 pt dog, but I don't see a win either.

As with everything else going on around here, I'm HOPING I'm wrong.:D

These early polls are stupid. They are based on what happen last year. No poll is of any value until about the fifth game of any season. Given Alabama is top 10, but #1, well maybe. I will wait a while until the season starts to unfold. Go Cards!
I agree, the lady cats should actually be ranked lower.

Reactions: wilkie01
I think Nick Saban is a better coach than Bobby Petrino. With that said, I think Alabama has the talent edge as well. At the start of a football season defense is usually way ahead of offense. We know how strong Bama's defense is and will be. I am not saying we will lose, but the odds or the leadership is not in favor. Look at how Petrino played Alabama, when he coached at Arkansas.
Not everybody. I honestly felt we had a GOOD chance in that Fiesta Bowl. And of course we did.

But that's my problem this time. I don't have that feeling with this bunch. We may end up being hell on wheels, but there is nothing to base it on.

I don't think we're a 30 pt dog, but I don't see a win either.

As with everything else going on around here, I'm HOPING I'm wrong.:D

But we have to consider some football realities:

1) Saban is a better proven coach than Petrino.
2) Bama has the better assistant coaches as well.
3) Defense is always way ahead of offense at the start of football season. Bama is a defense first school to start with.
4) We will start the season with an unproven quarterback and offensive line.
5) Our defense is unproven as well.

We are facing a National Championship caliber team with an unproven team that could not win the ACC with Lamar Jackson as QB. I am not full of pessimism, but I am a realist. This game is going to tell where our program has come to in Petrino's 5th year.

Last edited:
I think Nick Saban is a better coach than Bobby Petrino. With that said, I think Alabama has the talent edge as well. At the start of a football season defense is usually way ahead of offense. We know how strong Bama's defense is and will be. I am not saying we will lose, but the odds or the leadership is not in favor. Look at how Petrino played Alabama, when he coached at Arkansas.

But we have to consider some football realities:

1) Saban is a better proven coach than Petrino.
2) Bama has the better assistant coaches as well.
3) Defense is always way ahead of offense at the start of football season. Bama is a defense first school to start with.
4) We will start the season with an unproven quarterback and offensive line.
5) Our defense is unproven as well.

We are facing a National Championship caliber team with an unproven team that could not win the ACC with Lamar Jackson as QB. I am not full of pessimism, but I am a realist. This game is going to tell where our program has come to in Petrino's 5th year.
whoa, lets not waive the white flag so fast. I have found that "realists" are just pessimists who don't want to be called pessimist.

I think the conventional wisdom regarding defense >>>>offense early in the season is not supported by experience, at least in recent years. Every team has question marks, including Bama. They have at QB a guy who played one brilliant half of football or a guy who has very questionable accuracy. The lost several stars from last year's team. the replacements are not proven. I actually think we are much more dangerous without LJ, inasmuch as they will not know how to prepare.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT