ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Update on roster movement, recruiting, portal activity, etc.

Ty Spalding

Owner/Publisher of CardinalSports.com
Aug 23, 2018
Just wanted to drop in to do a recap of where things stand...

If you missed my update from Thursday evening, I highly encourage going back and reading it. You can find that here.

--- Tae Davis de-committed, and I expect Dre Davis to enter the portal sooner rather than later. Tae Davis is ranked 139th in the 2022 class, and while Dre is a energy guy, and does some nice things, it's probably best for all parties to go in different directions.

--- Samuell Williamson entered the portal this evening. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, as there was a considerable amount of buzz during the season that he was on his way out. He needed a fresh start, and I hope he lands somewhere where he finds a role.

--- Who will be back off of this current roster? I'd set the over/under at 3.5. I think Curry will be back, and as of Friday evening, El Ellis was undecided. Additionally, I was told that KP only sees Curry and Ellis as guys who are good enough to start at Louisville off of last year's roster. Beyond that, I really don't feel comfortable commenting on who else could potentially be back, but either way, we are headed towards a massive roster overhaul. Exit interviews will be wrapped up early next week.

--- I was told KP has been very busy behind the scenes gathering info on the availability of a wide variety of transfers. To put it nicely, I was told by a source that Kenny wasn't exactly impressed with the roster, and the amount of guys who were simply playing for themselves really stuck out to Payne.

--- On the recruiting front, I am somewhat surprised KP is going after Skyy Clark. He just hasn't been the same player since the ACL injury, but at the end of the day, you have to trust KP's eye for talent. It certainly seems like he's going to make a run at Clark.

--- After talking to a source very close to the DJ Wagner recruitment, I would say Louisville is the favorite to land the No. 3 player in the 2023 class. I was also told that if Wagner went to Louisville, there would be 2-3 other top players in the 2023 class that would come with him.

If you want to take anything away from this post, I'd recommend fans to be patient, and know that the roster last year just wasn't good enough no matter who the coach is. I'd expect even more movement next week.

"Trust the process."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News