ADVERTISEMENT

UofL tabbed as Dark Horse for CFP

I hope so. Because I've been hearing a smattering of people lately start to say it will take a while for everything to jell this season. What with all the new coaches, new systems, so many new names on the roster etc...

And I do think there will be some growing pains, but hopefully it won't take that long.

I just hope they have enough cohesion to win the opener. Because after that one they'll have a couple games where they'll probably be able to afford some trial & error before they play NC state.

The way it looks to me, the NC State game will be the Cards first real challenge.

I think ND will be their toughest task.

Miami, their second toughest.

I see Louisville losing only one conference game, two at the most. I think Duke will be tougher than expected but Pitt easier than expected.

The four game losing streak to UK is over. Whether the Cards are 9 and 2 or 7 and 4, they're going to take it to the Cats.

1. Cards 38 GT 19
2. Cards 52 Murray 7
3. Cards 42 IU 17
4. Cards 34 BC 10
5. Cards 34 NC State 24
6. ND 27 Cards 23
7. Cards 35 Pitt 20
8. Duke 35 Cards 31
9. Cards 34 VA Tech 13
10. Cards 44 Virginia 17
11. Cards 28 Miami 27
12. Cards 30 UK 20

That's right 10 and 2. It's going to be fun.

The way it looks to me, the NC State game will be the Cards first real challenge.

I see Louisville losing only one conference game, two at the most. I think Duke will be tougher than expected but Pitt easier than expected.

The four game losing streak to UK is over. Whether the Cards are 9 and 2 or 7 and 4, they're going to take it to the Cats.

1. Cards 38 GT 19
2. Cards 52 Murray 7
3. Cards 42 IU 17
4. Cards 34 BC 10
5. Cards 34 NC State 24
6. ND 27 Cards 23
7. Cards 35 Pitt 20
8. Duke 35 Cards 31
9. Cards 34 VA Tech 13
10. Cards 44 Virginia 17
11. Cards 28 Miami 27
12. Cards 30 UK 20

Hope you are right on Pitt. Narduzzi's teams are always very physical and tough on both sides of the ball. And they got the BC QB who is pretty good through the transfer portal. He is a lot better than what they had a year ago.

The other thing that concerns me is the defense. New scheme and a lot of new players. Really concerned about the middle LBs. We lost Montgomery and Sonoga who both played really well last year. We basically have no one back that played many snaps at this position last Year. We did bring him Keith Brown from Oregon who was a starter for them most of the year. S Clark may see a lot of action as a freshmen.

I read an article about a month ago with comments from an unidentified ACC Coach who thought ULs D would be really poor this year. Not sure that's accurate but the D is an area of concern for me.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood

1. Cards 38 GT 19
2. Cards 52 Murray 7
3. Cards 42 IU 17
4. Cards 34 BC 10
5. Cards 34 NC State 24
6. ND 27 Cards 23
7. Cards 35 Pitt 20
8. Duke 35 Cards 31
9. Cards 34 VA Tech 13
10. Cards 44 Virginia 17
11. Cards 28 Miami 27
12. Cards 30 UK 20

The Duke game will be an interesting shootout game but not the one that the Cards suffer a L from.

One of the two Virginia teams will pull the upset over the Cards.

Anyone of NC St, Pitt, Miami or UK could also win....if the Cards are not at their best. Look like toss up games to me but will know more about us and them the closer to the actual game date.

Will be an exciting interesting season for sure. Highly looking forward to it. Let the games begin.

No, neither Virginia team is anywhere near good enough, especially the Cavaliers. VT has just their history of being a high level program. They are long past those days. Virginia has got a lot of problems.

Duke won 8 games and has basically their entire team back. A loss to them wouldn't be much of an upset at this point. I agree NC State and Pitt are tough games for Louisville, but I just don't see any losing record team upsetting the Cards.

If things go as it appears today, Louisville wins 10 games. However, injuries to key players could derail that and there's always that game where the Cards lose on some BS play or yellow flag.

I'm very confident in 9 or 10 wins.

No, neither Virginia team is anywhere near good enough, especially the Cavaliers. VT has just their history of being a high level program. They are long past those days. Virginia has got a lot of problems.

Duke won 8 games and has basically their entire team back. A loss to them wouldn't be much of an upset at this point. I agree NC State and Pitt are tough games for Louisville, but I just don't see any losing record team upsetting the Cards.

If things go as it appears today, Louisville wins 10 games. However, injuries to key players could derail that and there's always that game where the Cards lose on some BS play or yellow flag.

I'm very confident in 9 or 10 wins.
All true. Historically the Cards have had problems in beating those two team no matter the records.

Duke will be a challenge for sure...but the Cards have their number too.

NC State and Pitt have been tough wins or loses in the past too. And UK has a 4 game streak going.

They call them upsets when losing record team beat a winning record team normally and the Cards have shot themselves in the foot in past years. So one of the Cards loses will be an upset. Who that is my crystal ball won't tell me yet.o_O

I can see that about Virginia. The Cards have played them every year since joining the ACC. I think it has mostly been coincidental they have been a thorn. But they're reeling right now and have been picked near the bottom of the ACC.

Cards don't have much of a history with VT, especially while In the ACC. We actually have had more trouble with Pitt. And VT is rebuilding and also picked near the bottom.

I'm not that concerned with both of these teams. They're with BC in what is the Cards easiest ACC schedule since joining the conference.

I think NC State, Duke and Miami are the most likely defeats, however I as of today, believe the Cards are better than all three.

Reactions: sccard and Mayoman
I can see that about Virginia. The Cards have played them every year since joining the ACC. I think it has mostly been coincidental they have been a thorn. But they're reeling right now and have been picked near the bottom of the ACC.

Cards don't have much of a history with VT, especially while In the ACC. We actually have had more trouble with Pitt. And VT is rebuilding and also picked near the bottom.

I'm not that concerned with both of these teams. They're with BC in what is the Cards easiest ACC schedule since joining the conference.

I think NC State, Duke and Miami are the most likely defeats, however I as of today, believe the Cards are better than all three.
That right there is why these games can be a problem. Underestimating them going into the game makes the team ripe for an upset. Let's hope the staff and the players don't do that and bring their A game for every game. :oops: ;).

Reactions: SoulSr
Good to be on the radar! They call 'em upsets because nobody sees them coming until after they happen.

At first glance they are probably underdogs in Vegas in at least 3 of the games, but hard to say this far away from kickoffs.

I won't pretend to know much about this year's team not sure how anyone else really can. The staff probably isn't settled in on who will start at some positions. There's a ton of new guys from different parts and an entire new staff. Just a ton of questions all over the place.

We opened with an L to Syracuse last year and also lost to BC last year, so I'm just going to hold off on predictions and attend as many games as I can.

Good to be on the radar! They call 'em upsets because nobody sees them coming until after they happen.

At first glance they are probably underdogs in Vegas in at least 3 of the games, but hard to say this far away from kickoffs.

I won't pretend to know much about this year's team not sure how anyone else really can. The staff probably isn't settled in on who will start at some positions. There's a ton of new guys from different parts and an entire new staff. Just a ton of questions all over the place.

We opened with an L to Syracuse last year and also lost to BC last year, so I'm just going to hold off on predictions and attend as many games as I can.
And I think that is the case with nearly every team. There are so many moving parts with rosters, who the hell knows!

1. Cards 38 GT 19
2. Cards 52 Murray 7
3. Cards 42 IU 17
4. Cards 34 BC 10
5. Cards 34 NC State 24
6. ND 27 Cards 23
7. Cards 35 Pitt 20
8. Duke 35 Cards 31
9. Cards 34 VA Tech 13
10. Cards 44 Virginia 17
11. Cards 28 Miami 27
12. Cards 30 UK 20

so delusional...Ky wins by 20 minimum

so delusional...Ky wins by 20 minimum
Yeah, UK is never going to lose to UofL ever again. Talk about delusional. It appears your memory is in dire need of a boost. No more Satterfield. Brohm brings back the aggressive offense that dominated UK for years.

Reactions: Deeva
I love the optimism but I would be pleased with 8 wins and a bowl game. The schedule will be tougher than people think.
No Clemson, UNC or FSU. The schedule is not as tough as it could be. How many teams don't play the top 3 teams in their conference? Only 8 wins would be a disappointment. Satterfield won 7 last season against a tough schedule with an anemic offense.

Reactions: 502Cards1
No Clemson, UNC or FSU. The schedule is not as tough as it could be. How many teams don't play the top 3 teams in their conference? Only 8 wins would be a disappointment. Satterfield won 7 last season against a tough schedule with an anemic offense.
I guess I see all the things that would have to go right to get to 10 wins and all the things that could go wrong.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles

1. Cards 38 GT 19
2. Cards 52 Murray 7
3. Cards 42 IU 17
4. Cards 34 BC 10
5. Cards 34 NC State 24
6. ND 27 Cards 23
7. Cards 35 Pitt 20
8. Duke 35 Cards 31
9. Cards 34 VA Tech 13
10. Cards 44 Virginia 17
11. Cards 28 Miami 27
12. Cards 30 UK 20

We get a bye before Duke. Duke will be coming off playing ND, NCSt, and FSU the week before us…. Schedules matter.

Hope you are right on Pitt. Narduzzi's teams are always very physical and tough on both sides of the ball. And they got the BC QB who is pretty good through the transfer portal. He is a lot better than what they had a year ago.

The other thing that concerns me is the defense. New scheme and a lot of new players. Really concerned about the middle LBs. We lost Montgomery and Sonoga who both played really well last year. We basically have no one back that played many snaps at this position last Year. We did bring him Keith Brown from Oregon who was a starter for them most of the year. S Clark may see a lot of action as a freshmen.

I read an article about a month ago with comments from an unidentified ACC Coach who thought ULs D would be really poor this year. Not sure that's accurate but the D is an area of concern for me.
How long ago was that article? Had to of been before the portal period. They brought in 2 previous all ACC guys, all PAC-12 mention, get Gillotte back. I think this defense will be pretty good.

Last thing I’ll say is you guys can’t say “we’ve struggled with them in the past.” This is a new regime, styles make fights. Just because Satt struggled with Pitt/NCSt doesn’t mean Brohm will but that could also mean Brohm could struggle against teams that Satt or someone else didn’t. Lastly Brohms offense is so much harder to prepare for. Everyone knows it. Satt was getting closed anonymously at last years ACC media days.

We get a bye before Duke. Duke will be coming off playing ND, NCSt, and FSU the week before us…. Schedules matter.
Very good point. I didn't know Duke's schedule before Louisville was so tough. That will make a difference.

So make it 11 and 1 for the Cards.

How long ago was that article? Had to of been before the portal period. They brought in 2 previous all ACC guys, all PAC-12 mention, get Gillotte back. I think this defense will be pretty good.
It was actually after. His comments surprised me. I agree with you. I think this will be the best defense we have had in several years.

But seriously, we all know how hard it is to win 10 or more regular season college football games. You need a lot of luck most importantly with injuries. You need the QB position to be consistent and not spotty.

But what you really need is a coach with a plan and Jeff Brohm certainly has that. He has methodically built his maiden Cards team with what appears to be a perfect mixture of youth and experience. On both sides of the ball.

Of course we have to see them in action to confirm the expectation of winning football games, and with this unusual schedule that appears to aid Louisville with that task, it's a natural reaction from fans and pundits.

As of now, Notre Dame and UK are considered the two toughest games on the schedule and both are at Louisville. NC State and Miami are the toughest conference games and both are on the road.

There's no Clemson, FSU, UNC, Wake. If there was ever a chance and time for the Cards to win the ACC, it's this upcoming season.

So studying the schedule and looking closely at these opponents, I was ready to predict 12 and 0. But the Cards are not Georgia or Ohio State, so actually picking a undefeated regular season is going out there to say the least.

Maybe NC State. It will be the Cards first real test. I just can't see Brohm failing at that. The Fighting Irish of course will tell the tale. It could be a real shootout but the Cards being at home may be the difference.

Duke is a good team. Better than they usually are. A great young QB. But they're not the surprise team this year and the Louisville game is during a tough stretch of games for the Devils.

Pittsburgh is always a tough game so losing to them wouldn't be a shocker.

So 11 or 10 wins is what I expect now, but as the season goes on and games are played, things could change. I do however believe this is just the beginning of a era that's going to surpass the Petrino 1.0 years.

Reactions: Mayoman
The elite programs hit those high win totals for a lot of reasons, talent/depth being at top of list. And with that talent/depth going in, , that gives them blowout wins in significantly more games than other teams.

So having that margin of win edge, they are already closer to reaching 10 wins more easily than everyone else because the also rans are facing more games decided by one score or less.

Ex - UGA last year, 2 games won by one score or less @ MZ and playoffs v TOSU.
Michigan last year, 2 games won by one score or less + L to TCU.
tOSU last year, 0 games won by one score or less + blowout L to Michigan and playoff close loss to UGA

Last edited:
I predict 6-8 wins, unless the rest of the ACC is absolute oblivion.
Coaching upgrade. The portal was an enormous success. Returning contributors. Manageable schedule. Positive energy and enthusiasm. 8 wins at a minimum.

Coaching upgrade. The portal was an enormous success. Returning contributors. Manageable schedule. Positive energy and enthusiasm. 8 wins at a minimum.
I hope you are right. I'm looking forward to eating crow.

A lot will depend on Plummer. If he isn't as effective as we all assume, Allen or the freshman will need to be. If Brohm gets the requisite QB play for his offense, the Cards should win 10 or more games.

We saw how inconsistent QB play was last season and the Cards won 8 games with a suspect offensive philosophy, and against a much tougher schedule.

Unless we're decimated with injuries and horrible luck, I just can't see how this team would only win 6 to 8 games. Everything screams wins and that's why the national media is considering the Cards a dark horse.

A lot will depend on Plummer. If he isn't as effective as we all assume, Allen or the freshman will need to be. If Brohm gets the requisite QB play for his offense, the Cards should win 10 or more games.

We saw how inconsistent QB play was last season and the Cards won 8 games with a suspect offensive philosophy, and against a much tougher schedule.

Unless we're decimated with injuries and horrible luck, I just can't see how this team would only win 6 to 8 games. Everything screams wins and that's why the national media is considering the Cards a dark horse.
I agree with this. QB position is, as always, key. Every other part of the team appears to be in decent shape. Unlike others, I thank Satt for rebuilding the roster after the Bobby debacle. Jeff is set up nicely.

A real challenge in this era is trying to identify who is good in the off season. I wonder how accurate polls were last year in August, and how spot on they will be this year.

You have all these moving parts from staffs to players to realignment.

I do like seeing the program on a radar yes. I am happy to have Brohm and my thought about that is long-term moreso though than immediate impact, but being tabbed a dark-horse is good news I think?

I have no clue what to expect next year for the Cards.

"A real challenge in this era is trying to identify who is good in the off season. I wonder how accurate polls were last year in August, and how spot on they will be this year."

‐----‐------------------------

Well, TCU was not pre-season ranked and their starting QB wasn't the dude who ultimately led them to the playoffs. He was injured in the 2nd game I believe.

I think many are thinking of the Horned Frogs when they say Louisville is a dark horse.

Based on our schedule, I believe we have a decent shot at making the ACC championship game.

ND will probably be our toughest opponent. However, that game doesn't count as an ACC game.

10-2 (I’m thinking ND and NC State) 1 conference loss should land us in the ACC Conference Championship.

We don’t play FSU, Clemson and UNC.

Reactions: sccard
I’m a Cards fan but Louisville will not be in the CFB playoffs. There is a slim chance when it expands that Louisville could make it in but not this year.

I’m a Cards fan but Louisville will not be in the CFB playoffs. There is a slim chance when it expands that Louisville could make it in but not this year.
Wow! Going out on a limb there eh? There's hundreds of teams that has fans that could make that statement. It's hard to make the final 4 and you need a bit of good luck.

But TCU last year and Cincinnati the year before proves to this Louisville fan, that making the playoff is not far fetched for this Cards team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT