ADVERTISEMENT

UofL dominates post-season awards

Claire is POY! Amaya is Defensive POY. Raquel is Setter of the Year. And, CDBK is COY

Way to go Cards!
A little more detail...

Claire Chaussee was named ACC Player of the Year. Chaussee, a bit of a dark horse for the award at the beginning of the year, beat out others such as Julia Bergmann of Georgia Tech and a trio of Pitt players. Chaussee tallied 370 kills this season while averaging 3.81 kills per set. She reached 1000 career kills this season

Amaya Tillman
was named ACC Defensive Player of the Year. Tillman ranked sixth in the country with 1.53 blocks per set and logged 141 total blocks. She was also named ACC Defensive Player of the Year in 2020.

Raquel Lazaro
was named ACC Setter of the Year. Lazaro transferred in from USC for her final year of eligibility. In her lone season with the Cards, Lazaro had 925 assists on the year while averaging 9.95 assists per set. Her season high is 57 assists in a five-set comeback win over Georgia Tech.

Coach Dani Busboom Kelly was named ACC Coach of the Year. Under Busboom Kelly, Louisville went 26-2, was named a 1-seed for the second straight year, won their third straight ACC title, ranked second nationally in blocks, and ranked 10th nationally in hitting percentage.

The lone award Louisville did not take was ACC Freshman of the Year. Emma Farrell of Wake Forest took that award. Louisville did not have any true freshmen play this season due to redshirts, so a Louisville player could not win by default.

Louisville also had five Cards named to the All-ACC First Team. Chaussee, Tillman, Lazaro, Aiko Jones, and Elena Scott all received recognition. With the exception of Lazaro, the other four Cards have been named to the All-ACC Teams in the past.

The Cards gear up for the NCAA Tournament and will host Samford on Friday at 7:00 p.m. at L&N FCU Arena.

(Photos by Jared Anderson -- thanks to Cardinal Couple for the details)

--sonja--

Reactions: Guardman
What is crazy is that Anna is not mentioned anywhere. I get that her injury kept her out of action for a good while. The crazy part is she is probably our best all-around player.

Anna is rounding into shape and may well be fit to play more on the front line in the tournament. Really, really glad she will be around next year with the graduation of our all ACC players (Claire, Amaya, Aiko, and Raquel)!!!!! She along with with Elena will be our seasoned players. However all is not lost with the rise of Nena, PK, and Cara plus some stellar freshmen (Hannah and Nina) who have been red shirted this year. I just hope we can find a setter who can approach what Raquel has done this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardman
Aiko. She wasn’t ‘featured’ with the other Srs. My hope is she has a covid year and she will be back for one more year. I don’t know that either of the two setters in the roster have Raquel’s size and athleticism; but, as long as they can be consistent that should check the box. No idea on any of the incoming FR or what may be available in the transfer portal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT