ADVERTISEMENT

UK Recruiting Makes Me Laugh

The drowning program was not referencing you. But the prevailing sentiment and theme of many posters that UK has been and always will be a graveyard program. To me that dialogue is more of a self serving, bury your head wish verses a prediction based on facts.

I'm one of them.

All I have is 60 years of seeing the "resurgence". My brother actually played at uk, before seeing the light and transferring. He wouldn't spit on them if they were on fire. As long as FB is treated like a bastard step kid, you have no chance. Ask Fran Curci, or even Randall Cobb.

Even you fans, who brag about faithfully following a "loser", help keep them down. You think the FB team gets excited about midnight madness? You think they're working 110% for the "fans" who are camped out down the street, waiting to watch the BB team PRACTICE????? Yeah, they're going that extra mile for BBN. :rolleyes:

It's not our heads that are buried. Keep hoping.

And please, keep doing what you've been doing. ;) But I'm confident you will. You always have.

I'm one of them.

All I have is 60 years of seeing the "resurgence". My brother actually played at uk, before seeing the light and transferring. He wouldn't spit on them if they were on fire. As long as FB is treated like a bastard step kid, you have no chance. Ask Fran Curci, or even Randall Cobb.

Even you fans, who brag about faithfully following a "loser", help keep them down. You think the FB team gets excited about midnight madness? You think they're working 110% for the "fans" who are camped out down the street, waiting to watch the BB team PRACTICE????? Yeah, they're going that extra mile for BBN. :rolleyes:

It's not our heads that are buried. Keep hoping.

And please, keep doing what you've been doing. ;) But I'm confident you will. You always have.

Not to mention on the Midnight Madness issue they spend more money on that than they do on their football recruiting budget...you're are as the WKU Player said...."Supposed to be SEC"...

I'm one of them.

A lot of the football players actually are excited about Midnight Madness, but only because many of the '4-stars' like Elam went to UK just to get free basketball tickets for 4-5 years. He's excited and can't wait to attend the next UK basketball game. And he and the other in-state football players probably care as much about UK football as the average UK fan.

A lot of the football players actually are excited about Midnight Madness, but only because many of the '4-stars' like Elam went to UK just to get free basketball tickets for 4-5 years. He's excited and can't wait to attend the next UK basketball game. And he and the other in-state football players probably care as much about UK football as the average UK fan.
Didn't think about that free ticket angle.

But first, if Elam's a 4 star, I'm a Space Shuttle pilot.

And second, I'm sure those "stars" from Ohio, TN, an GA, really appreciate MM about as much as we do. ;)

For the life of me, I can't understand why you keep doing this to yourself.

You so badly want to get credit for UK's abysmally bad recruiting, the only team you care to compare it to is us. And we are a program that puts 2 stars into the NFL.

That might be the world's smallest cookie you think you just won, lol. Even if you can't see how pathetic your statements are..
In my post I was comparing UK's recruiting to their entire schedule (which is pretty much the same every year - 3 OOC teams we should be better than, UL, entire SEC East, Mississippi State and a rotating SEC west team), therefore the comparison to UL was made in that discussion. My point was that based on recruiting rankings, we should put similar or better teams on the field than 8 of our opponents. As has been mentioned numerous times, high school recruiting rankings only mean so much and developing that talent and putting that talent in a position to win is even more important. To date, we have not done that.

In my post I was comparing UK's recruiting to their entire schedule (which is pretty much the same every year - 3 OOC teams we should be better than, UL, entire SEC East, Mississippi State and a rotating SEC west team), therefore the comparison to UL was made in that discussion. My point was that based on recruiting rankings, we should put similar or better teams on the field than 8 of our opponents. As has been mentioned numerous times, high school recruiting rankings only mean so much and developing that talent and putting that talent in a position to win is even more important. To date, we have not done that.

So you should be better than U of L based on what exactly? Star rankings? Didn't we finish ahead of you in recruiting last year? In 14' and 16' UK barely edged U of L in recruiting. You are splitting hairs and grasping at straws (favorite UK past times) if you truly believe that being ranked a few slots ahead of us suggests any kind of competitive advantage. First and foremost, UK signs overrated northern players and then has absolutely no player development to speak of. Watching last year's game, we were better at just about every position minus running back when Boom was in the game. Couldn't name another position where UK had an advantage.

^^^^^^LOL!!!^^^^^^. Same sh!t different year. It never changes. Ever
So you should be better than U of L based on what exactly? Star rankings? Didn't we finish ahead of you in recruiting last year? In 14' and 16' UK barely edged U of L in recruiting. You are splitting hairs and grasping at straws (favorite UK past times) if you truly believe that being ranked a few slots ahead of us suggests any kind of competitive advantage. First and foremost, UK signs overrated northern players and then has absolutely no player development to speak of. Watching last year's game, we were better at just about every position minus running back when Boom was in the game. Couldn't name another position where UK had an advantage.
I agree 100% that your roster is more talented than ours....the proof is on the playing field. Your coaching staff has been able to take talent and develop it...ours has not. When discussing the topic on the UK board, yes, i was basing the conversation strictly on high school rankings, and was very clear in those conversations that recruiting rankings only tell part of the story and the ability to mold decent talent into good talent is on Stoops and the staff, and the staff has failed.

If the right staff was in place, we should be able to compete against 8 of our opponents. I don't think that is grasping at straws, I feel it's being critical of our staffs ability to coach and develop.

So you should be better than U of L based on what exactly? Star rankings?

I think that's exactly his point, other than also pointing out that UK hasn't performed to the level of their recruiting.

I think with some UK fans, they have an over-emphasis on what recruiting alone should do for a football program. And the fact that most of them are basketball first plays into it. In basketball, recruiting is a huge deal because if you get enough talent you can overwhelm 95% of the 300+ schools in Div. I. If you get 5 Top 100 players in one year, you're probably going to be one of the top 5 talented teams in the country. Also, in basketball, many players can step on the court out of High School and play significant minutes right away, some with zero drop-off.

In football, recruiting is just a starting point. You have to have good development of that talent, you have to build depth, and you have to have good on the field coaching. UK has none of that currently. That's why I think the loss of Harry Potter was a big deal for them. All the time and development put into him was wasted and now they're starting over at QB. Again. UK is still suffering from depth issues due to all the players that left the team when Stoops came on board. The development and coaching issues are already well documented.

UK fans need to go back an look at their great classes, how many of those highly ranked kids are either still with the program or have underperformed?

I think if their classes were re-ranked now they would be shocked how low they would finish.

Their problem has been demonstrated to be a combination of overrated kids and lack of coaching. The latter is obvious. But the issue on talent is that most of their higher rated players are Kentucky kids from out in the State. Those kids have proven to be hit-and-miss, mostly misses.

Until LPT starts drawing better talent from southern states like Georgia and Alabama, I'm always going to be suspicious of their recruiting rankings. Because they don't perform in line with their rankings, and they sure as hell aren't getting "coached up".

LPT Football: That's why we snagged Lamar Thomas!...

Remember Bill Curry? His issues were that he frequently had coaching turn-over and reflected on stability. UK is going through the same issue now...and thats gotta hurt as well!

Obviously UK is never going to recruit like the big name SEC schools do so they only way they can win is hope the other teams get worse or find someone who can coach their players up. Stoops has proved the second choice isn't happening. I find it interesting that they still blame Joker for everything.
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that UK can't recruit as well as anyone else. Who did Bryant - the last successful UK coach - get to play on his teams? Honestly, how hard is this?

Real competition, for those who wonder, consists of compensating for whatever disadvantages you may face. Marking progress with all these mincing steps, supposedly conforming to some template which was ignored by Baylor, TCU, Oregon, Boise State and Louisville. Nevertheless, UK fans understand the gradual nature of improvement.

Ha ha!! Did I type that?

Reactions: 65bird
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT