ADVERTISEMENT

U of L Football Ticket Inflation...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
Just got my Angel's Envy (B&W) Club invoice...

2021: $455 per season ticket for 7 games - $65 each
2022: $510 per season ticket for 6 games - $85 each

Not sure on the pricing for the rest of the stadium. But do you recall the quality of that product on the field last year?

The price just went up 30%.

Talk about value for money. I'm predicting great things for attendance this year...

Last edited:

Not sure on the pricing for the rest of the stadium. But do you recall the quality of that product on the field last year?

Talk about value for money. I'm predicting great things for attendance this year...
Quality of beef at Krogers hasn’t improved, I think it’s actually gone down, yet the price is through the roof. Inflation, everything is going up.
You yourself say we need cash….there you go. Everyone needs to contribute. 😁

Last edited:
Quality of beef at Krogers hasn’t improved, I think it’s actually gone down, yet the price is through the roof. Inflation, everything is going up.
You yourself say we need cash….there you go. Everyone needs to contribute. 😁
Yeah I’m familiar with inflation and macroeconomics. Food is something we have to consume. Marginal football is not.

Just raising the price of something is not fixing a problem with costs. If it was that easy, we wouldn’t need a good athletic director.

I had my doubts about football attendance next year without factoring outsized price increases. This makes that situation worse.

First thing is win games. They don’t do that people aren’t coming no matter what the cost of the ticket is. Even if they win inflation in our everyday lives could keep people at home.

The home schedule is going to be pretty damn good. Top 25 teams NC State, Wake plus Pitt and FSU could be ranked when they play them.

It will be more about weather, and the quality of wins on the field. The economics are always a factor, but the folks looking for weekend entertainment appear to be unaffected by this crazy inflation.

2020 Data but the trend is still the same.

In total, only 25 of the approximately 1,100 schools across 102 conferences in the NCAA made money on college sports last year (2020). That's because the cost of running an entire athletics program, which can feature as many as 40 sports, almost always exceeds the revenue generated by the marquee attractions of football and basketball.

There must not be not enough good ADs to go around.

Pay it. Don't pay it. No one will care either way.

2020 Data but the trend is still the same.

In total, only 25 of the approximately 1,100 schools across 102 conferences in the NCAA made money on college sports last year (2020). That's because the cost of running an entire athletics program, which can feature as many as 40 sports, almost always exceeds the revenue generated by the marquee attractions of football and basketball.

There must not be not enough good ADs to go around.
I need to update this chart, but it serves the purpose... When we ran between the dashed black lines, our revenues consistently outran our costs. That's why net position systematically increased. So we didn't have the specific financial problem you claim is common elsewhere.

But I'm not getting onto the AD topic again. This thread is about football ticket inflation and demand destruction...

Net-Position-B.jpg

Pay it. Don't pay it. No one will care either way.
It wouldn't matter if I was the only guy affected. The problem is 25,000 other people are getting hit with this same increase...

I need to update this chart, but it serves the purpose... When we ran between the dashed black lines, our revenues consistently outran our costs. That's why net position systematically increased. So we didn't have the specific financial problem you claim is common elsewhere.

But I'm not getting onto the AD topic again. This thread is about football ticket inflation and demand destruction...
If tickets sales are your point then why not present a graph of ticket sales instead of Net Position which sales are a part of?

Last edited:
If tickets sales are your point then why not present a graph of ticket sales instead of Net Position which sales are a part of?
You can't analyze the dollar amount of ticket sales when you don't know how much of the 30% will materialize. Only if the number of tickets sold holds steady do you bank that full increase. Simply increasing the price 30% doesn't result in that scale of revenue increase.

There will be demand destruction like there is with inflation elsewhere. And we've never had outsized inflation increases in ticket prices to gauge that esp. when a program like football has been underperforming...

Last edited:
Yeah I’m familiar with inflation and macroeconomics. Food is something we have to consume. Marginal football is not.

Just raising the price of something is not fixing a problem with costs. If it was that easy, we wouldn’t need a good athletic director.

I had my doubts about football attendance next year without factoring outsized price increases. This makes that situation worse.
Then don’t pay. It’s that simple.

Paid $320 for a good seat to watch the shit storm Lakers 2 weeks ago. I get it’s went up but 85$ a game still isn’t bad IMO. Also have no clue where the seats are though.

Paid $320 for a good seat to watch the shit storm Lakers 2 weeks ago. I get it’s went up but 85$ a game still isn’t bad IMO. Also have no clue where the seats are though.
The dollar amount isn't the issue esp. when you're comparing far-flung locations and events.

It's the rate of change. Was that Lakers ticket $250 last year?...

Inflation forces people/business to make decisions. College sports is discretionary spending. Salaries aren’t keeping pace with inflation therefore our discretionary margin is smaller. As a fan I better get value in my spend. It is still a good value for me.

It boils down to winning and where the program is heading (recruiting). Louisville starts consistently winning in football and basketball fans will attend games. The ACC has to get better in football. This season is loaded with good teams. They go 2-0 the FSU game will be sold out. Inflation won’t matter.

I don’t know about Hierd, but when Tyra was running the AD, they wanted older fans to move on, make way for younger fans who can spend money longer. That’s how my 72 year old mom was being treated, she felt.

Inflation forces people/business to make decisions. College sports is discretionary spending. Salaries aren’t keeping pace with inflation therefore our discretionary margin is smaller. As a fan I better get value in my spend. It is still a good value for me.

It boils down to winning and where the program is heading (recruiting). Louisville starts consistently winning in football and basketball fans will attend games. The ACC has to get better in football. This season is loaded with good teams. They go 2-0 the FSU game will be sold out. Inflation won’t matter.
Louisville is no different than other schools in that the majority of operating revenue comes from FB and BB ticket sales.

I don’t know about Hierd, but when Tyra was running the AD, they wanted older fans to move on, make way for younger fans who can spend money longer. That’s how my 72 year old mom was being treated, she felt.
If your mom was life long season BB ticket holder how did she react to the seating in the YUM Center? The loyal older ticket holder's selection of seats were moved back in favor of the new money/donors. That loyality did not account for much.

You spelled Vladimir wrong. Plus, I hate to break it to you, but inflation is global, not specific to America.
Inflation in America was not a problem under President Trump, but it has increased too highs that Americans have not seen since the early 80s thanks to Vice President Grandpa Joe! Plus I’d hate to be the one to break it to you but inflation is up more in America on average then a large amount of countries and it continues to increase by the quarter! America was on its way to becoming self reliant on oil and gases until Bidumby stopped the pipeline and then went to Russia for it !

Inflation in America was not a problem under President Trump, but it has increased too highs that Americans have not seen since the early 80s thanks to Vice President Grandpa Joe! Plus I’d hate to be the one to break it to you but inflation is up more in America on average then a large amount of countries and it continues to increase by the quarter! America was on its way to becoming self reliant on oil and gases until Bidumby stopped the pipeline and then went to Russia for it !
So you are aware inflation is global and not just an American issue. Good for you for seeing the big picture. But, inflation is more than the cost of gas. War in Europe, recovering, globally, from a pandemic, it doesn’t take an economist to see what’s happening. And did you just say “Bidummy?”

Let’s grow up a little bit. Talking politics doesn’t have to be immature.

So you are aware inflation is global and not just an American issue. Good for you for seeing the big picture. But, inflation is more than the cost of gas. War in Europe, recovering, globally, from a pandemic, it doesn’t take an economist to see what’s happening. And did you just say “Bidummy?”

Let’s grow up a little bit. Talking politics doesn’t have to be immature.
Yes, I agree that inflation has been a global problem and it’s not just gas! But, there‘s one direct reason why inflation has hit America more than any other ”economically sound“ country is the over printing of money that the Biden administration pushed for and got! If you look at the numbers which vary in exact percentages Americas inflation is higher than any other advanced economy in the world @around 8% annually !
My apologies for the immature comment I was watching the news at the time!

Zipp, I take exception to your comment about percentage of increase being a more critical factor than the individual dollars; particularly to your original point about what affect this has on the public buying tickets.

The average Louisville consumer cannot tell you what % of increase he or she is paying at the pump, or when they go to the grocery ……. all they can tell is how many more dollars it takes now than it did before this inflation took off.

While I am no fan of inflation, I can tell you as an employer, we are handing out significant dollar increases per hour that have nothing to do with percentage. Historically a 5% to 7% increase on a $20.00 per hour employee was common; today we are joining other employers by handing out $4.00 to $5.00 per hour raises just to keep the employees we have from leaving for other opportunities.

These are unprecedented times in many respects, and back to your OP; those fans who are inclined to attend UL football and basketball games will not be disinclined because of the ticket price, at least as much as so many other factors.

Just looked mine up....same exact price/game as last year for my 3 lower bowl tickets. Glad you mentioned this...I almost forgot to renew them. Just did. So it seems you are the sucker paying more for "premium" seats. My seats are fantastic and I'm enjoying the same price.

GO CARDS

Just looked mine up....same exact price/game as last year for my 3 lower bowl tickets. Glad you mentioned this...I almost forgot to renew them. Just did. So it seems you are the sucker paying more for "premium" seats. My seats are fantastic and I'm enjoying the same price.

GO CARDS
Wouldn’t say anybody up there is a “sucker”. UL is simply bleeding the “deeper pockets”.

We haven’t learned that POing the deep pockets has contributed greatly to our current problems.

PO many more people and we will be giving tickets away in convenient stores again.

You youngsters can look it up.

Winning has never been more important. NOBODY is going to keep paying rising prices for losing FB.

Reactions: ajgcardman
Wouldn’t say anybody up there is a “sucker”. UL is simply bleeding the “deeper pockets”.

We haven’t learned that POing the deep pockets has contributed greatly to our current problems.

PO many more people and we will be giving tickets away in convenient stores again.

You youngsters can look it up.

Winning has never been more important. NOBODY is going to keep paying rising prices for losing FB.
I don't usually disagree with you...but this time I do....the Socialites/Partiers will pay the price so they can be seen and socialize no matter the cost. Watch and see.

What is your definition of losing FB? Record only? or quality of play?....quality of schedule?

The drinkers/drunks hardly know the difference or really care...it is all about being there to be seen as you well know.

Take away tail gating and how many would even be there to begin with? 30K of the hardcore true Card CFB fans maybe???? What say you?

Others feel free to chime in too.

I don't usually disagree with you...but this time I do....the Socialites/Partiers will pay the price so they can be seen and socialize no matter the cost. Watch and see.

What is your definition of losing FB? Record only? or quality of play?....quality of schedule?

The drinkers/drunks hardly know the difference or really care...it is all about being there to be seen as you well know.

Take away tail gating and how many would even be there to begin with? 30K of the hardcore true Card CFB fans maybe???? What say you?

Others feel free to chime in too.
Yes, there will be 30k there.

But I think we, as an “entire fan base” have become entitled. The “build it and they will come” fans (you, me, @gocds, Guardman, etc.), are old and becoming the minority.

Todays “fans” want it yesterday. 7-5 and probably even 8-4 doesn’t interest them.

There are no more “big” games on the schedule to them. FSU? Ho hum. We’ll catch them next year. Same for Clemson.

Games that used to be “BIG” for us, Cuse, NCST, UVA are nothing to this crowd. I remember when BC coming in here was huge and majorly looked forward to.

As far as coming and being seen? If they can get tickets in the tunnel for $10 bucks they will.

It’s been noted that we’ve lost a lot of whales. The trickle down may follow if we don’t soon get some leadership with passion and vision. And some serious winning.

You think we can “get it back”, and I hope you’re right. But I think this is not “our” UL program anymore.

Even on this board of “super fans” there are many who bitch and moan and quit on the team in the first quarter. I would not want to be in a foxhole with them

If the “Original 30k” were like todays fans? We probably wouldn’t have FB today.

Schnellenberger would have been gone after three years with an 8-24 record and the school would have disbanded the program like they wanted to pre CHS.

But patience won. There is no patience anymore.

Things change. And not always for the better.

Ramble over

^ Great post RC.

My physical health is trending down. I still plan on making more games than I was able to make last year. And it will be worth it.

CSS will survive and thrive this year if Malik stays healthy enough to last the season....and the defense improves by even 10-20% over last years stats.

The O will be very potent even w/o WR Harrell and be the strength of the team. Too many other weapons and a better more efficient O'Line will pave the way.

Hope to meet up with you guys this year. Here is to good health for you and your family. Take good care of you.👍😎🍻🍺🍺🍺🏈🏈🏈 Cheers!

Are you ready for some FB???

Gen Z still has sports in their interests but are big on that digital age so I don't really know the answers here. And people are just tight on finances.

It's hard to get people to invest the time and $ when they can stream a game or watch it on TV.

It's hard to get people to invest the time and $ when they can stream a game or watch it on TV.
Remember when we first started getting TV games? It was the greatest thing ever, to see our Cards, on the Tube.

But when the games started spreading to Fridays and other days, I said that TV, the “Golden Goose” was going to hurt attendance.

Let’s face it, TV wants fans watching TV. Covid showed they will put faces on seats and pipe in “atmosphere”.

Plus…when you get right down to it, you get better coverage and reporting than at the game. And concessions are cheaper.

I still believe the attendance will continue down, and we’re starting to see empty seats at some of the traditional blue bloods.

Yes, I agree that inflation has been a global problem and it’s not just gas! But, there‘s one direct reason why inflation has hit America more than any other ”economically sound“ country is the over printing of money that the Biden administration pushed for and got! If you look at the numbers which vary in exact percentages Americas inflation is higher than any other advanced economy in the world @around 8% annually !
My apologies for the immature comment I was watching the news at the time!
Apparently inflation has even hit punctuation, as exclamation points are up more than 200%.

No disrespect intended but, your comments indicate that you have a rather poor understanding of what causes inflation and, economics in general. You do seem to have a firm grasp on partisanship. Good luck with that.

Apparently inflation has even hit punctuation, as exclamation points are up more than 200%.

No disrespect intended but, your comments indicate that you have a rather poor understanding of what causes inflation and, economics in general. You do seem to have a firm grasp on partisanship. Good luck with that.
Yeah I went a little over board with the exclamation points 😂.
A increase of money supply is one of man causes of inflation, and that has been a big reason why inflation has affected America more than a majority of civilized economic countries. It’s not the only reason, but it’s one that can’t be easily overlooked. That statement doesn’t indicate a poor understanding of economics.

Yeah I went a little over board with the exclamation points 😂.
A increase of money supply is one of man causes of inflation, and that has been a big reason why inflation has affected America more than a majority of civilized economic countries. It’s not the only reason, but it’s one that can’t be easily overlooked. That statement doesn’t indicate a poor understanding of economics.
There’s no question that the direct government payments related to Covid relief have played a part in the current inflation. That said, it’s interesting that you call Biden out for this yet not a mention of trump’s 2T relief package in December, 2020. A package that he lobbied for to be significantly bigger than that and criticized the republicans for making it “only” 2T.

I guess I’m just asking for a little consistency on the topic.

Reactions: CardX
There’s no question that the direct government payments related to Covid relief have played a part in the current inflation. That said, it’s interesting that you call Biden out for this yet not a mention of trump’s 2T relief package in December, 2020. A package that he lobbied for to be significantly bigger than that and criticized the republicans for making it “only” 2T.

I guess I’m just asking for a little consistency on the topic.
You can’t reason with MAGA. Them SOB’s are crazy. Cray-zee!

Reactions: BPGhost

I guess I’m just asking for a little consistency on the topic
I can see your point on the 2 relief packages with one being 2T & the other being 1.9T. Both were initially planned to help the American people, but both being modified by the other parties. Trumps more than Biden, but it’s splitting hairs at this point!
How does this indicate that I have poor understanding of economics? By your comments about “republicans this and that“ I wouldn’t be out of line by saying you have a firm grasp of partisanship as wel!

Last edited:
No doubt - trump mountain is an interesting hill to die on. Up is down when you value feelings over facts.
One can say the same thing about grandpa Joe supporters. Both sides have there own opinions and beliefs outside of the 2 parties representatives!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT